Started the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon, bubble top

Working on the Airfix 1/24 Bubbletop Typhoon. Finally got the cockpit done. I added some parts from the Quintas detail set for the left and right consoles. The dash and gauges are from the kit.

8 Likes

I’m impressed !

1 Like

Thanks. Not that great of a kit but it should look good when done…I hope.

These cockpit tubs look like kits in their own right… Great detailing … I’m surprised someone doesn’t bring out a cockpit tub in a bigger scale as a standalone kit

1 Like

I really loved this kit, until I got to the nose. I always seem to have trouble with the big Airfix kits around the cowling (don’t ask about the F6F.) So my advice, take care in that area, especially the chin radiator housing. Great work so far!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thanks! Exactly the advice I’m looking for. I’m the type that over-engineers the pieces for best fit. Should be a good challenge

Welcome! You sound like just the right kind of guy for this one. I look forward to seeing more!

Michael :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Thank you. I’m not fond of following instructions on this one, since some steps seem to be out of place. This will be an interesting build process.

Added the left and right panels and sidewalls. For some reason the instructions have them to be installed near the end of the build. I found it easier to get a good fit prior to painting and not needing putty.

2 Likes

Painted and weathered the bottom of the wing section before I glue down the cockpit

1 Like

Have not built a kit that ever needed clamps this big. Added the SAC metal landing gear so they had to be installed now.

3 Likes

Looking at the size of that, even partially built has firmly put me off 1/24th … forever lol

Looks very very good though :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Yea, I won’t do anything this big again. Lol

Painted and washed parts of the gear wells prior to assembly.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Finished up the upper gear wells in aluminum abd added a Vallejo acrylic wash mix 50/50 dark brown and dark grey.

1 Like

2 Likes

3 Likes

Watching with interest, Anthony :slightly_smiling_face:

Looks great so far!

1 Like

Thanks Russelle, it’s coming along. It’s going to be closed up, so no panels removed.

1 Like