Sturmtiger Build

The damn kit was winking at me… “Build me…” it called out to me… “Build Meeee…”

So I started. :grin:

I want to add zimmerit to the lower hull, but the Tamiya decal zimmerit is made for Tamiya’s Mid/Late production Tiger kits and will need a lot of cutting and trimming to fit all the small little detains on the sides of the hull; but I’m looking at the DEF Model decal set which is specific for the Sturmtiger and already has all those little details cut into place, making (hopefully) installation much easier.

Just slapped together the lower hull before heading to work. I’ll put as much together before i can focus on the Zimmerit.

15 Likes

good luck with this kit, i can’t wait to see more progress soon

2 Likes

This is an ancient kit but can be made to look awesome. Did you pull the trigger on the DEF set yet? Do it! Save yourself a lot of pain.

2 Likes

Who carries the DEF kit? I have the same model and want to build it with Zimmerit also. Sometime in the near future.

2 Likes

Sprue Brothers has it for $9.99 - DEFDD35005 1:35 DEF Decal - Zimmerit Coating for Sturmtiger with PE Engine Grill Parts (TAM kit - Sprue Brothers Models LLC

3 Likes

Nice start on the Sturm! Looking foreword to seeing how this progresses.

@Ekefant6: Here is a link to a zimmerit alterative. I have recently used a set from this compony and they are super easy to use.

2 Likes

Thanks guys👍. I’ll be getting in touch with both vendors. Sable, great looking build so far. Keep us updated.

2 Likes

This sturmy has no zimm.

5 Likes

I did. Waiting on it to arrive in the mail.

2 Likes

Yep. I bought it from them already; waiting for it to arrive now.

2 Likes

Little more progress on the Sturmtiger.

Kept the top hatch open, so you can see the shell on the loading cradle with the breech open, ready to receive the shell. Still gluing more little parts into the superstructure. I’ll leave the lower hull as-is while I wait for the DEF Zimmerit coming from Sprue Brothers.

6 Likes

There’s a few images out there of the Sturmy…

This one has the “ambush” camouflage pattern.

These two - a Maus and a Sturmy, on their way to Russia - Both are currently on display at the Kubinka Tank Museum.

AFAIK, there’s only two Sturmtigers left in existence; one at Kubinka and the other at the Deutsches Panzermuseum Munster, Germany. The one in Munster was bought from the Aberdeen Proving Grounds Collection.

7 Likes

That’s an “oldie but a goodie” kit. Here’s one I built straight out of the box over 20 years ago on a Tamiya Dragon Wagon of the same vintage.

9 Likes

OK; one serious question… Reading through the painting instructions and it states that the interior shoudl be painted flat white…

Were they actually painted white, like US vehicles? or was it a very very light shade of sand color?

King TIger - Infantry & Armor Museum, Ft. (Benning) Moore, Ga.

Tiger I interior (obviously restored).

1 Like
2 Likes

Exactly how I imagined it would be. Light Sand on the interior of the upper superstructure and red oxide primer on the bottom hull.

1 Like

Not sand.

3 Likes

Oh! Time to hit the hobby shop for some AK Interactive ivory paint. Need to get some leveling thinner too.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Also Reyneir, since you like AK RC and MrCLT, (me,too!), then I’ll suggest to you the most accurate Red Oxide model paint on the planet - Hataka C175 Red Primer Base. This is a ready-to-spray-from-the-bottle lacquer that shoots exactly like AK RC and MrCLT. It’s fantastic stuff and the color is spot on.

2 Likes