Summer Nostalgia!

It is the wheel set from the original Skybow M41 that had the great wheels. AFV Club’s other versions do not have them, they have their own version.

Neither does the M42 Duster.
If you can find a set of the ones they released as a separate offering, you are looking at gold…

https://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/afvclub/afv35045.htm

I got a set for my Duster and made a mould of them so I could cast the extra you need to use as the Idler.

My understanding is that the AFV Club M41G is the Skybow kit. Is that not correct?

No as per the image above, the three in the middle are AFV’s own version. You can go to the scalemates site and download the different instructions and compare them.

Oh well. I guess I borked these projects real good, as usual. :upside_down_face: In addition to everything else, the AFV Club tracks I ordered for the Tamiya kit are half vinyl and full of sink marks. :disappointed: Fixing all 160 links is gonna gigantically suck.

It was a mistake to purchase all these terrible old models and try to fix them with after market parts. All that money would have paid for modern, more accurate kits with decent tracks. The problem is, even after reading reviews, I always end up discovering a bunch of problems only after purchasing the kits.

Chin up and keep goin.

3 Likes

Especially with these older kits.

I feel my AMT Mack truck build lives up to that motto.

3 Likes

Excellence requires a willingness to correct failings and improve skills rather than accept the status quo, even when such efforts require great toil.

Knowing a bunch of guys who are good with tools and having some money also help.

2 Likes

The later doesn’t hurt but there is a few artists on the board that don’t have anything fancy, just real skills. The great part is that they are willing to share that knowledge with us mortals.

1 Like

A bit more progress on my KP 1/48 MiG-21. I used the 40+ years old decals. A few decals are a bit out of register, but I have to live with that.

More to follow soon :smile:

6 Likes

You did get the M41G and that IS based on the Skybow kit.

Old is not always gold, but don’t dismiss these older kits out of hand. A lot are still good kits despite their age. A new kit may be an out of the box gem, but I get more of a feeling of accomplishment when I have done some detailing and scratch building to bring an old kit up a few notches.

4 Likes

And that is what I like so much!

3 Likes

Peter and Ron, I hear you! Sometimes it is great to make a “silk purse out of a pigs ear” :wink::smile:

Also sometimes the excessive sanding and struggling with bad fits get the better of me. Then I go back and do a super well engineered eduard plane or Tamiya AFV.

Some old kits also just breathes nostalgia! For me those are especially matchbox and ESCI kits.

4 Likes

Is aftermarket allowed for this campaign. I think I am going to do the tamiya F-51 but as a RCAF bird late in WW2, I was thinking of maybe getting an Aires cockpit and I’ll need the RAF style drop tanks

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation! :slightly_smiling_face: That will save me the cost of one set of M41 running gear, if I can even find one. When I looked at the instructions for the M41G, the part numbers exactly matched the Skybow kit which led me to believe it might be the correct model after all.

I have a lot of nostalgia and respect for some old kits. I really do. I also know that new kits can suck, sometimes quite badly. However, when I compare two kits. one old and one new, then add in the price of correction parts, the new kit often comes in cheaper than the old one. Old kits also tend to require many hours for corrective measures. Right now, I am mostly focused on painting so deep dive correction builds that consume a lot of money and time do not make much sense. However, I will finish what I started.

Now back to the Tamiya M41…

At some point, the hull pan was updated because my model has fewer holes in the bottom than the one posted by Ryan (Tank_1812) in Post 172. The holes were filled with plastic card but have yet to be sanded back.

I also started adding raised weld lines to the turret using Milliput. The resulting welds are too heavy and will require work. The model was very easy to clean up but requires many corrections.

The American M41 shown in the picture above will serve as the basic prototype for my model. The picture was pulled from news reel footage shot in West Germany circa 1955.

2 Likes

I believe so Mead, but the preference is that the AM is pre-2000 too, if possible. The word ‘preference’ would indicate post 2000 is also okay.

As per the first post:
Aftermarket and PE are allowed too, preferably following the same rules.

I am using AFV Club tracks on my Marder which are dated 2009, as the kit tracks are twisted and I can’t fix them. However, you only see a bit of them front and back and not much on the bottom. I have to fix the sink marks in all the pads, so their quality is certainly pre-2000, if not the mould age…

3 Likes

Go ahead! This one’s not all about rules and strict enforcement. Just some summer fun.
Just don’t go nuts and get bogged down.

3 Likes

What do you mean by “many corrections”? I have this kit too and want to do an ARVN-version sometime.

1 Like

Oh gosh.

• Weld beads are all sunken. They should be raised.
  • Many missing weld beads, especially around grab handles, hoods, and tool hooks
  • Large grab handles use a different configuration than the ones provided in the kit on almost every vehicle I have looked at.
  • M41s served for 70 years in dozens of countries. The configurations are almost endless, especially with regards fittings and tool stowage.
  • Possible missing stiffening ribs on fender storage boxes; depends on vehicle.
  • At least two major types of fenders, some straight cut, some diagonal cut; depends on vehicle.
  • Vision block hoods simplified.
  • Some missing vision blocks.
  • Drive sprockets lack mud relief lightening holes.
  • Idler wheels lack mud relief lightening holes.
  • Some variants change the idler wheels to road wheels.
  • Cast armor sections lack texture.
  • Commander’s M2 machine gun very simplified; some vehicles may need a different weapon for this station.
  • The exact position of the commander’s M2 may vary. It depends on the vehicle.
  • Hull pan holes need filling.
  • Upper hull undersides require filling with card stock.
  • Hull pan does not sit flush with hull top. Filling is needed to achieve a flush fit.
  • Two triangular tabs on the underside of the upper hull need to be removed to facilitate other repairs.
  • Drive housing covers need a chunk put back, along with at least one bolt.
  • A few grab handles crudely represented; shave them off and replace with bent wire. I would not attempt to replace the really tiny brackets used to secure tie down straps.
  • Tools and tool frame on right front fender needs work. The entire frame moves on some vehicles.
  • Stowage box access handles crudely represented.
  • Tracks are somewhat crude, especially interior face.
  • Suspension is simplified but I would not recommend attempting to correct this. The cost and time investment would not be worth the pay off.
  • On some vehicles, return roller mounts lack a towing loop.
  • Two towing loops missing from front corners of glacis plate.
  • Turret stowage bin mounted gas cans and holding hardware significantly simplified.
  • Turret stowage bin represented as attached to turret bustle all around. It actually attaches via a number of small projections. This would take significant effort to correct for very little pay off.
  • Some vehicles wear a canvas mantlet cover.
  • When viewed from the sides, there are a few different fender configurations.
  • Fenders are very probably missing some bolt/screw heads but it depends on the vehicle.
  • Mufflers and muffler covers greatly simplified. At the very least, scribe a line where the cover meets the fender to create the impression it is a separate piece.
  • The back face of each muffler has two very difficult to fill knock out pin marks.
  • Some vehicles have smoke discharger racks. These do not appear in the kit.

The Eduard photo etch set for this model deals with many of the things listed above.

There are probably more I am forgetting. Most of that list is really fiddly stuff. One can build the model out of the box and achieve a really nice looking vehicle without making any of these corrections/changes. It is a good kit for what it is. There are pictures of some beautiful box builds to be found on the internet.

2 Likes

As I recall from research back in the day all that and there was different .50 cal locations and smoke generator was missing.

3 Likes

oh my…

2 Likes

Woops. I knew I would miss a few.

2 Likes