Summer Nostalgia!

So is this campaign happening?

Don’t know why it wouldn’t.

1 Like

Excellent! Just thought I read a comment about enough participants. Great that we are “go”! :slight_smile:

Still not sure what kit I’m gonna do. It’s a three-way tie:

1. Revell 1/48 P-51D
  2. Tamiya Spitfire Mk.Vb
  3. Accurate Miniatures A-36 Apache

The Mustang would have the most nostalgia personally, but I kinda want to do a better engineered kit for a change.

I will go with old school Matchbox Me 262. I might even go old school in techniques using only brush painting. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, just am unsure what is required when it comes to forummanagement.
Do we need to notify someone?

1 Like

Just need to get @SSGToms to do some work and all is good. :rofl:

2 Likes

Thinking of (most likely will) doing the Tamiya Shokaku

1 Like

I’ll join this one. I have a Dragon BRDM-2 Amphibious car (released in 1991). I have the resin wheels from DEF Model on hand, nothing too fancy. It’ll be an easy build for me since i built the exact same model in 1993 when i was stationed at Ft. Stewart, Ga. and used a pictured of a captured Iraqi model as inspiration for it.

5 Likes

I changed my mind and will build this old kit. I remember buying this kit in Czechoslovakia right after the wall came down. My pocket money could buy everything in the hobby store - and I did just that. When I found it on eBay some months back I just had to buy it.

Decals are very special. Very thin but super shiny and stiff. So I will use some aftermarket decals.

The instruction is one piece of paper :sweat_smile:

I might use some eduard underwing stores for this one as I have a ton of eduard MIG-21s and lots of extras.

More to follow later :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Everyone ready?
I changed my mind too. After reading “Brazen chariots” I just have to do this one.

5 Likes

Campaign Active. Remember beer and X-Acto knives don’t mix well!

5 Likes

My Tamiya GPA.

Looking to do this with parts from the Tamiya GAZ kit.

3 Likes

@RonW I sent you a PM with questions on the rules for this Campaign. Thanks. :grinning:

2 Likes

You got an answer.

For everybody else; keep it simple, no stress. Pre-2000 kit (figures count as such) and fun building during summer.

3 Likes

Finally settled on this one—in all its glorious flash, sink marks, raised panel lines, and soft detail.

It’ll be a relaxing build because of the lower stakes.

5 Likes

I am in , just have to make a decision on the kit. If the Shepard Paine campaign coalesces, I am thinking about Tamiya’s Panther A, the dog. and could do dual Campaigns.

5 Likes

And we’re live.!!!

I had to swallow when I opened the box and looked at the kit…; an instruction leaflet. 3 sprues, some disfigured tracks, 2 hull parts and some yellowed decals.
Vintage 1974! With crude castings to prove it.
I compared it to the 1975 Type 97, which I am simultaniously doing for the Land of the Rising Sun campaign and the quality has increased dramatically!
Better castings, much better/less crude details and the Japanese figure looks like a figure, whereas the Italian one looks like a garden gnome corpse.

5 Likes

Ron, I think this might be a reboxing of an old Italeri kit? I am not sure, but it has that “feeling” about it.

Is it just me or does the figure actually look like Mussolini?

2 Likes

The M13\40 is an original Tamiya kit. Anything in the Tamiya line that has the kit # 35XXX is an original Tamiya molding. The reason the Japanese Type 97 Chi-Ha looks so much better is that Mr. Tamiya demanded that it look better. This was a Japanese tank, so it had to be superior. No batteries. No motorization holes. Distinct accuracy. Sharper molds. Although the Tamiya Type 97 is almost 50 years old, it still holds it’s own very favorably against the [relatively] modern Finemolds kit.
And yes, the M13\40 figure looks exactly like Mussolini!

7 Likes