Table top foam cutters

Been looking to get one, what’s y’all experience and recommendations?

From what I see so far, it seems like the Proxxon or Hercules (Pro knock off) seem to be the big dogs. Others are a variations of those. DOMINOX seems to have a more solid guide locking mechanism.

1 Like

I have the Proxxon one and I quite like it. Be careful though, on some of them the arm could be slightly bent on one side (I was one of the “lucky” ones, but I managed to fix it). You can made or buy different guides or circles etc.
Regards!

2 Likes

I have a relatively inexpensive tabletop one that I got at a local craft store. It’s one that uses a hot wire to cut the foam. I do like it and have found it very useful. However, it does require some care to get square cuts.

One thing to keep in mind is that as the wire heats up to cutting temperature, it expands and will flex. This flex can impart an angle along the edge of the foam being cut. Proper tensioning of the cutting wire is important. Also important is making the cut INTO the “mouth” of the cutter and limit side-to-side cutting force.

Another tip I might offer is to first cut out a template of the shape you want from stiff cardstock and pin that to the top of the foam blank. Then use the template to guide the cut. I’ve found that this gives much more precision to the work than simply tracking the shape and then cutting along the traced lines.

Finally, don’t rush the cuts. Allow the wire time to melt through the foam without the need to force the foam into it. This mitigates the flexing of the wire and helps to keep the cuts square along the edges. Also, be a bit patient and allow the wire to heat up to its operating temp before making the cuts. Again, you can start cutting too soon and have to use some force to get the wire to cut, with just flexes it distorting the edges.

I also have a hand-held hotwire foam cutter that I’ve used on some larger (very LARGE) projects, and the same suggestions apply to those. Be aware that if you glue your foam layers together before you contour the edges, the dried glue layers can be an obstacle to the hotwire. The wire will not get hot enough to melt the dried glue, so pin the foam layers together, contour with the hotwire cutter, then glue them up.

Small diorama using foam sheets for base contours-

Large diorama using foam sheets for base contours-

6 Likes

Thanks gents. Good advice. :+1::+1:

1 Like

I use the Proxon. The price was fair. The tool works. I like it. Obviously, it is only so big, so IF cutting large pieces… well, you will have to get creative. A definite endorsement for the Proxon.

For myself, I’m usually not a fan of “knock-offs”.

2 Likes

I have to ask… That is one large (a gross understatement) diorama base, what are you making?

1 Like

FSB Ripcord

https://ripcordassociation.com/ripcord-diorama/

2 Likes

I am in a lot of trouble on all fronts if I tried something big, the small projects are tough enough.

I agree in general on knock offs but also like to keep an open mind.

2 Likes

I have seen a friend building one using a wooden board, a wire from an old hairdryer resistance and a power source (12v if I remember correctly). Easy to build and effective.

2 Likes

If you like DIY work, you can make your own, like this:

3 Likes

I use a proxon and there is no price difference to me between them here in Australia. You might as well buy the reputation and get the back up.
You might find these from SHIFTING SANDS useful.

3 Likes

You can make better linear guide for the Proxxon and circular guide like those I made:

3 Likes

Thanks for the links. That is a very impressive project. Lotta work and looks good!

2 Likes

Mike and crew did a wonderful job.

1 Like

So I did a thing and cut some foam.

2 Likes

one thing i do with the Proxxon cutter when using the fence: i attached a 3/4" x 1/16" thick aluminum angle to the back of the table w/ 3M vhb tape. this allows attaching the factory fence both front & back of the table. i use a small “G cramp” (maybe 1 1/2" capacity).

2 Likes