Takom 1/35th scale M29 Weasel

Building the Takom Weasel as I’ve been fascinated by the building and restoration of the full size item by Portrayal press on you tube, Always wanted to make a Weasel, so here’s my first one, the standard M29. The later C version was amphibious with floats for and aft, may have a go at one if it comes out, but for now lets see how this build comes together.

the first thing that jumps out is how small this model is, the running gear is tiny and complex.

this looks like a challenging build, and that to me is a red flag to a bull, love a challenge

6 Likes

The C version I mentioned earlier was used a lot in Vietnam by the French, they lost quite a few until they started to learn how to use them more effectively. You can see the integral floatation fore and aft of the Vehicles in this shot in Vietnam.The french called them Crabs.

3 Likes

building up the running gear, starting with hull fixtures

the roadwheels on individual bogies

4 Likes

alignment of the bogie wheels is a challenge to say the least, but gentle persuasion, rather than brute force is the way forward here, and plenty of breaks for a cup of tea, just to let my frustration cool off.

3 Likes

getting the wheels all in alignment was like herding cats, using a section of the link and length track was helpful.

that’s getting better…

3 Likes

the only way to make them look anywhere near good enough was to bond them directly to the track section, which at this stage of assembly wasn’t practical, but will be necessary later on down the line when I’m ready to assemble the link and length and know where the bottom length lays.

8 Likes

Looking good. :+1::+1: I am also looking forward to the C version.

As you already know it’s not a fall together kit. Here are some helpful links, they may help as you moving into the interior.

4 Likes

Good luck! I’ll be watching as I have the kit and have followed the other builds.

1 Like

Thanks for the positive comments Guys, 1812, I watched the video build of flop goes the Weasel and found it very helpful, the guy felt the kit fought him at every turn, but he eventually made an ok build out of it, but I’ll learn from it. We all know some kits are challenging and some just fall together.

I like a challenge, and I find solving problems and issues captivating.

turning to the floor, clamping with clothes pegs till it’s locked in position as the glue hardens.

4 Likes

From what I saw in the video it is not the kit that is sub-par, but the builder. He created 99% of the issues he claims the kit has.

2 Likes

with the floor together up go the sides

I’m totally building this out of sequence with the instructions, they are a vague guide, but you have to use your brain.

in the flop video, he mentions the terrible engine deck to side wall fit, I can see how following the instructions would lead to that, but the guide lugs are quite helpful in determining location.
Deck top to hull side, out of sequence, early in fact, but to avoid what he did, I took his advice.

4 Likes

I’ve built Takom kits before and they are very accurate, fit wise. I can see if you are not forewarned about this kit, you may fall into the trap of expecting it to fall together, and find yourself in a mess. We are all forewarned because of his honest video.

2 Likes

coming along in leaps and bounds now. It is very well detailed, and despite the difficult build, I applaud Tokom producing something we haven’t seen for a while, rather than another Tiger or Spitfire.

4 Likes

probably the oddest thing about this kit, as pointed out in flop, are the tracks, these would have been better made in the old fashioned way as “Rubber Band” type, maybe made up like the real rubber track, it reminds me of the M5 Halftrack track, a one piece nightmare to fit, on the real thing. Here we have hard link and length, so you have to build in, the gaps created when the tracks stretch when they are at maximum load around the Sprocket and idler wheels.

5 Likes

I see there is a gap at the front of the tracks. I wonder if Takom will change anything in the next version of this kit?

1 Like

did you read what I said about the gaps Dan?

1 Like

I must have slipped pass me.
I’m not trying to be critical but noticed it.

2 Likes

Next stage on with adding internal details like the radiator surround.

3 Likes

Maybe what you need is a nice Long Island Iced Tea. Is known to help “cool you down.”
Ken

4 Likes

that does sound very refreshing Ken.

1 Like