Takom Chieftain Mk 5P in Iranian Service

Stand by for my Stillbrew Mk10 Jim :wink::+1:

1 Like

Looking forward to it John!

1 Like

Hi Johhny
Hmm, I usually paint them black, looks like I have a fix or two to do. Is that the same on Scorpion too?

Mal

Nice. Where do I sign up to be part of the chieftain fan club?

Hi Mal, yes pretty much. You might get a bit of occasional over spray down a few inches, but the main part of the tube would be a dull aluminium, no real shine to it, so from a distance it will look dark, plus it creates its own shadow due to the depth…

Hi Johnny
Cool. I had drilled out my MBSGD’s to make them look better, but then found I had to alter the exterior, as the moulded parts were too generic, missing a lot of the shape & attachment detail - these being 1/16th, so it was noticeable.

Mal

1 Like

Good point Mal, I forgot that one was 1/16, so they would be alot more noticeable :+1:

If it’s supposed to be a Mk5P, then you are missing the MRS at the end of the gun barrel.

If the MRS should be there, then so should the Light Source Box

Mal

And better views of the MRS

Not all of the Iranian chieftains had the MRS. Let me see if I can copy the pic I used as inspiration here.

and here is a row of them:

1 Like

And those are Mk3Ps not Mk5Ps

Interesting. How can you tell the difference?

Uh, they don’t have the MRS.

Alot of the changes were system upgrades like engine, NBC pack, radios. The late mk3s had improved range finding with the introduction of the TLS (tank laser sight) instead of the .50 ranging gun. The ,50 stayed in a co-ax role for a few Mks and was then replaced with the 7.62.
It carried on getting various upgrades up to the final production mk5s. Mid 70s they got IFCS.
The MRS(muzzle reference system) self checks the alignment of the main gun to the gunners sight. The gunner can do this as and when he wants to self check alignment if he or the commander think there’s an issue.

Off the top of my head (I was only on Mk9s, 10s and 11s) I think the late Mk5s were fitted out with the IFCS which incorporated the MRS mid to late 70s.

1 Like

Is that it? visually?

For Iranian Chieftains, yes.

The main visual difference between them is the MRS shroud on the end of the barrel and I’d have to do some digging around but the NBC pack may be configured slightly differently as well.

Hi Johnny
From my research, the NBC packs - No 2 Mk I was present from Chief Mk 1 - Mk 3/2, then No 6 Mk 1 pack was on Chief Mk 3/3 on, then Chief Mk 5 had the No 6 Mk 2 pack. Seem to recall it was further updated beyond that, though as I was building a late Mk 5, didn’t take as much note.

Mal

1 Like

Thats is basically it, from the No6 Mk1 & Mk2 packs. I think all upgrades after that were internal filters/ systems control etc.
No need for me to dig around now lol … :+1: :+1:

Link to a build report of a British Chieftain, lots and lots of images but close to the middle there is a description + some images of making the light source box for the MRS (AFV Aficionado?)

The easy way is to use part D32:
bild
Instruction image from the Mk. 10 kit but the D-sprue is the same in both kits :grin:

The barrel end should already be in the kit, small part of step 18:
bild