Takom M103A1 build review

Now that is looking really very sharp’; 'looking very forward to seeing the paint scheme.

1 Like

Looks great. I hope one day to see a replacement barrel.

1 Like

Dan, did you mean you’d like to see a replacement barrel on this particular build, or were you asking generally? Metal barrels are available, although I think initially for the Dragon kit. Aber make them - I’ve bought 2 - as I still have the Dragon kit as well as the Takom version.

1 Like

I do not think the Aber barrel or the RB one released for the Dragon kit will do for the Takom kit.

In the photo, the kit included barrel for the matlet without canvas cover and the RB barrel for the Dragon kit

3 Likes

I’d actually forgotten that; I purchased the barrels, added them to the boxes then retired(!)

As I will probably display them together I shall try and adapt both of the barrels as necessary; I suspect this will mean I have to fashion my own mantlet cover but I don’t mind that.

2 Likes

I mean generally, not this nice build.
I’m not good a puttying and sanding a barrel.

3 Likes

Forgot to add the wire cable on the fender so here it is with some more photos:

9 Likes

That looks really nice. Much better than the old Dragon kit.

3 Likes

One last post on this subject.

Can this be backdated into a M103?

I would say that yes it can.

• Hull details: Everything is there, the only details missing are the muffler for the auxiliary generator on the right fender, as mentioned in previous posts, and the tow pintle mount at the back of the hull next to the left transmission cover, indicated N in the photo:

m103auxgenmuffler567

m103deck513

• Turret details: You will need to get a Chrysler cupola, luckily some 3D designers have worked in producing one. You will also need to remove the gunner’s periscope from the front of the turret and the equivalent bulge. It would be wise to use some material to fill the inside of the bulge from the turret piece inner side so as to make your work easier.

Then you need to add the periscope and its cover on the original position on the turret roof. I am pretty sure that the optimal choice is a periscope and the cover from a M47 tank.

Another detail that needs to be added to the turret roof is the .50 cal storage mount.

And the final detail is the barrel counterweight. Here you either need to work on the kit part and modify it by etxending it and adding the hole on either side or make a new part.

I am pretty sure if someone wishes he can 3D design a conversion/backdate kit easily.

Wink GIFs - Get the best gif on GIFER

P.S. The US Army decals included in the A1 kit will do just fine for a M103.

Thumbs GIFs | Reaction GIFs

5 Likes

A final addition to this review is that TAKOM correctly includes T107 tracks in the kit, not T97E2 tracks like in their M48 kits.

E sprue is included in the M103 kits, T107 track, A sprue is included in the M48 kits, T97E2 track. The difference is in the grouser shape, minor change in the angle and width.

3 Likes

For many M103s (60 of the 74, or maybe 54 of the 74 if the 60 quoted includes the six pilots) the driver’s hatch would need to be changed to the small type like on M48s and some suspension details would need to be changed.

KL

2 Likes

I had not noticed the small hatch until now that you pointed it out. :astonished: :astonished:

What changes does one have to do on the suspension? I got another A1 kit on the way in order to backdate it.

1 Like

One I recall is the front bump stop mounting bracket. It originally had one spring then went to two, and the hull casting was modified to fit and eventually recontoured . I also remember something about the idler adjustment mechanism, but I have not looked into this or any others, unfortunately. In general, the T43/T43E1 was changed in parallel with the M48/M48A1, so that might be a good guide.

KL

2 Likes

Front idler adjusting mechanism. The kit parts are similar.

m103idler465

Front bump stop spring, looks like a double in the manual but I will check some walkaround of m103.

I also have this T43 photo that looks as if there is a double spring at the front but it could also be my wishful thinking since the quality of the photo is bad

I also found that the m103 had the exhaust deflectors, not included in the Takom kit but included in the Dragon kit

2 Likes

I make the early style idler wheel spindles and adjustment rod seen on early M48 and T43/M103. The parts were designed for the Dragon M48 but I’m sure it can be used for the TAKOM kit with a little modeling skills. Be warned the adjustment arm will be a little tricky since you will have test fit and cut away part of the adjustment arm after you set the idler arm to the position you want to remove the slack from the tracks.

1 Like

Be warned that no true M103s are known to have survived. The T43 and T43E1s have a mix of features added for service evaluation and test.

T43: Ft Moore GA

T43E1: Dowagiac MI, Ft Cavazos TX, Anniston AL x2, Davenport IA

M103: ?

M103A1: Nacadoches TX, Sweetwater TX, Anniston AL, Radcliff KY

M103A2: Camp Shelby MS, Mattydale NY, Euclid OH, Bristow OK, OKC, OK,
Dugway PG UT, Danville VA, Ft Lewis WA, Yakima WA, Anniston AL x2,
Linneville AL, Fort Huachuca AR x7, Yuma PG AZ, Camp Pendleton CA, Camp
Roberts CA, Ft Moore GA, Campbellsville KY, Ft Knox KY, Greensburg KY,
Shively KY, Lafayette LA

UNK: Socorro NM, Camp LeJeune NC, Titusville FL

KL

2 Likes

You list an unknown vehicle in Socorro NM. Do you know where it is located?
Ken

It - and actually I think there are several - is at the test range of the NM School of Mines and inaccessible.

KL

This is the Davenport T43E1

This is a walkaround of the Dowagiac one, which shows a single spring front bumper

This is in Pioneer Park, Nacogdoches, TX which looks like a M103

This is in Newman Park Sweetwater, TX and looks like a M103 to me and is also pretty interesting because it has the lower mounts for the barrel mount at the rear.

I was afraid you would say something like that. I was hoping maybe they had one on display. I have to go down there next week, if it was accessible I could get some photos. Oh well.
Ken