Takom M48 series coming

Here’s the trees-you might find in the photos.

It doesn’t look like it.

Hi Bergun,
I’ve just looked through my box of M48A5 kit. It does not include an AN/VSS-1 searchlight. The way Takom packed their kits is odd.
With the exception of the tracks, M48A3 kit appears to have all the parts to build an A5 version. However, A5 version does not have all the parts to build an A3 version.
If you want the searchlight and are going to replace the indi. tracks with a rubber band track, I’d recommend buying the M48A3 kit then use the parts to make an A5. Sell the A3 tracks for a fund to get the appropriate tracks. Source the rubber tracks from an AFV Club M60 kits, DML M48A5 kit, or Takom’s “Brave Tiger” M48-H kits.

From what I gather, Takom is not going to release a straight M48 or M60 slick kit anytime soon. They’re busy releasing their helicopter kits and will be waiting and see if the M48A3, A5, and M247’s sell enough. I’ve started working on a CAD for M48 cupola to fill the gap at the moment.
I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James

2 Likes

James,

Can one build a A3 early from the A3 Mod B kit? It’s just the cupola that changes, correct?

The light guards are different I believe.

1 Like

No, the Mod B includes different head lights, an armored bar across the top and bottom of the rear exhaust vents, boxed in armored taillights, and the riser. I don’t think any of the earlier parts come in the kit.

2 Likes

Right. As Gino said, it appears that a lot of other parts need to be sourced from let’s say Dragon’s M48A1 kits, I Love Kit’s overpriced M48A1 or even custom CAD. Not just the cupola… I did see some photos of someone converting Dragon’s kit to straight M48 somewhere but cannot remember where exactly.

There’s some discussion here: Trumpeter/I Love Kit M48A1 - #47 by KurtLaughlin

1 Like

Remember that for a M48 you need a small driver’s hatch, not the one M48A1 and later variants have. The only hull with the small driver’s hatch is the Dragon T54E1 kit

2 Likes

Anyone wants to trade DS tracks for the Takom indies, PM me, I have a couple sets of T97 and T142 that have been stored out of the clear wrappers they are prone to reacting with and decomposing inside of.

Edit by moderator:
@Bergun

1 Like

Are you CONUS? I’ll be using AFV Club tracks but I don’t hate the DS, as long as they haven’t gone sticky.

Ah, the infamous self destroying DS tracks!

1 Like

Texas, and they were removed from the clear packaging as soon as I got them. They’re still flexible, no oily residue.

You’ve got a PM

Replied.

1 Like

I hope that we see someone here build one of their kits soon.

I’d love to but I’m on a very strict budget at the moment and have a rather large stash, hard to justify a new purchase. I do however have a couple of trade items I’ll be putting on the B,S&T board…

I picked up the M247 SGT York kit yesterday, and am not looking forward to assembling the tracks. Guess it’s time to browse for some one-piece specials.
Found one on-line from the FleaBay, free shipping. Surprised to see the large on-line stores in US and Japan are out of stock. Guess these M48 kits are going like hotcakes!

The AFV Club tracks aren’t hateful….