for my very first post in the new forum I’d like to share my current build. This is the huge Takom G6, the South-African self-propelled howitzer.
The build is quite smooth event if you need to be careful with some mobile parts. The Sci-Fi look is original for sure.
The hull comes in 5 parts in the good old molding way hence I had some issues to get all parts perfectly aligned and needed some CA glue in the end. It was probably me making bad alignment at one step though.
Here are some pictures.
More pictures as I can’t upload more than three as a new user (even after being a Armorama member fro years).
The last picture gives an idea of the size of the vehicle.
Very nice. I just finished mine for the “Big Guns” campaign on the old forum and I have to agree its a very good kit! Enjoy the build sir
Certainly looks big and definitely has that Sci fi look going with the low slung cab. Impressive.
Watching with interest, have one in the stash and until house renos done, still there LOL Jim
Thank you all for your interest. I’ll keep you updated.
This thing looks like it should be in an “Aliens” movie! I might buy the kit on looks alone. Shaping up very nice so far. Nice detail work in the cab. I wonder how the driver feels, closed off in that little space with all of that vehicle behind him?
It definitely has the “what if” vibe going that’s for sure.
Welcome to the new forum, Olivier! Your build look good as always. Enjoy it!
Really fantastic work with the interior, it looks great.
Here are more pictures of the hull which is nearly complete. In fact the missing parts will be added after the painting (driver hatch, wheels, rear ladder and red and white rods, sorry for the wrong term).
Here are the first pictures of the turret which goes smoothly for the moment.
Beautiful work. This thing is a monster. The red and white poles are called aiming stakes.
Thank you Tom. I used to know the term but forgot it.
The cold temperatures outside this morning gave me the perfect excuse to keep on building the turret which is nearly complete.
The PE parts assembly around the turret basket went smoothly except for the angled one which is slightly too long.
The gun has temporarily got its wheels.
Excellent work Olivier. Now I can be as jealous of you having built one of these as I am of Rory (McRunty)
It is a real beast Olivier. Is there a reason the turret hatches look like they open the reverse way to usual hatches flipping back towards the rear ?
I really don’t know. It’s probably to provide some cover to the crew.
I must say that I was close to glue them the wrong way as I had looked at the instructions too quick.
But don’t forget a lot of Russian tanks have their hatches opening similarly.
I almost did the exact same with mine but reference photos show them that way. It is awkward looking but then so is a lot of the South African stuff. Just look at a Buffel!
The gun is dry fitted.and rests in the travel lock like it will be in the end. I still need to sand the barrel seam.
Next step will be the painting. I’m a bit scared about this camo as the stripes could prove too narrow for my airbrush. I don’t like masking and I don’t have masking putty at hand. So I have to work out a solution.