Takom Tiger 1 Big Box

I just finished a older Dragon kit of a Tiger 1. (It was an older 3-1 that had the tracks fall apart when you touched them, a mighty fine option is you ask me!)

I’ve built a couple of the Talcom kits and really like them, But I think I would pass on this deal. While a big box is a great idea, I just don’t need to buy 3 Tiger’s at one time.

Now, if they came out with a 3 tank German assault collection, I’d be one the first to buy it.
May be a Stug III, Panther and a Marder III

Or Armor of the Desert front
Grant, Cromwell Panzer 3.

Lots of posibilities.

5 Likes

ICM already kind of does the multi-kit pack thing.

4 Likes

Don’t! This can be used against you in a civil court! :wink:

4 Likes

Agreed… these three Tigers share most of their parts. Takom could have released them over the period of a year or two.

But then, we’re liable to build them over an even longer period.

David

5 Likes

Mine arrived here in sunny San Diego Ca. today. The 1/16 figure is in the Otto Carius Tiger box. I panicked and thought they didn’t send him. I was going to sell off 2 of the kits but after looking at them I might keep them all. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Mine just arrived (from Andy). Beautiful. Although I don’t know what I’m going to do with all of them. Is there a home for orphan tigers?

4 Likes

PMing you my address…

4 Likes

Hey Guys,
I pretty much go to AHHQ first, for my hobby needs (or wants!). The only issue is that he doesnt have a krage inventory of older kits, that could be foundxat HobbyLink ot Squadron. GREAT guy. Meet him in his store a couple of years ago and at last years Nationals. And yes, his packing and promptness on in stock items is " Top Shelf." Have a great day all.

5 Likes

@DByrden , could you provide me with pictures of Tiger 213 from the 503rd? Also, what version is this Tiger 213 in the images provided? Google says that this vehicle is also from the 503rd, but the numbers differ from Takom’s instructions, i.e. there is a white border around the numbers and they are situated in what looks like a Dunkelgelb rectangle. Is it possible that this is the same Tiger, just repainted? Or maybe the same crew, different tank?

Images for discussion only

2 Likes

Unfortunately, you already posted all the photos of “213” in service.

Google doesn’t “say” anything - it’s a search engine. It leads you to sources and it’s up to you to gauge the reliability of those sources.

I’ve explained the version of Tiger 213 in my articles about the kit.

As for the white borders: there are very few photos of Tigers of the 503 in Normandy. I found two others and they both show a white outline around the digits. The 503 had been using outlines ever since early 1943, so this is no surprise.

But there is this photo of “213”, which Takom may have seen:

Now, I wouldn’t trust this photo, because of the discolouration. I believe this photo was taken long after the war, and weathering had changed the colours of the tank. I’ve seen cases like ths where one colour would disappear and others would remain.
d317e6dc7962b37b0892955d09044a6a

David

4 Likes

Okay, thank you! I wasn’t sure, I just wanted to make sure. I saw your article on Tiger 213 already, it prompted me to do some research on it. I looked around on your site some more, it’ll prove to be very helpful with these kits.

1 Like

Mine came today…

I took a peek at the road wheels, just to see how prominent the seam was, and I was pleased to find that Takom molded the seam on the edge of the wheel instead of the center. The figures and the stowage in the kits looks very nice and organic. The zimmerit also looks pretty good, with nice bumps, divots, and flakes. I’ll probably buy AM tracks for it though.

2 Likes

I do have a list of flaws in this kit, and as of today it has only nine items, most of them very minor and fixable. I don’t expect to find a lot more.

David

4 Likes

The people at Takom released drawings of an upcoming product. David Byrden and perhaps some other Tiger I experts commented on those drawings. The people at Takom took heed of that feedback and revised some stuff resulting in better Tiger I models. Modelers get a better product. Takom will sell more models. To me, that seems like a win all around.

As stated previously, I chose to pass on the Tiger 1 Big Box because my closet already contains two Dragon Tiger 1s and my interests are changing. The possibility of a major engine deck error contributed to my decision. However, if the engine deck was fixed and only minor, easily fixed things remain, I will very probably purchase a Takom Tiger I.

I commend the people at Takom for being agile and responding quickly to customer feedback. When Takom Jagdpanzer 38s with interior were announced, I stated that I had no need for the interiors but would purchase a simplified version. The people at Takom subsequently released cheaper versions without interiors. I now own the early and mid versions. Go Go Takom.

David Byrden, your ongoing analysis of everything Tiger I is both very interesting and super useful. Thank you for your selfless Tiger I research contributions.

4 Likes

Hello, on the tiger I 002 option of one of the takom boxes (I think it was the late), I wonder if they didn’t messed up the variant

2 Likes

For me, I’m really happy with these kits, but that’s not to say there isn’t inaccuracies; far from it. There is several inaccuracies, pointed out by Mr. Byrden. Most of the people I’ve seen, such as @Armor_Buff, have said there is possible inaccuracies, not definite inaccuracies, based on prior experience with Takom.
I’m happy with this kit, flaws and all, mostly since so far they are minor things that are easy to fix. I don’t think that people “trashed” this kit, I think they raised logical and true points, just to give buyers a fair assessment.

5 Likes

About the “002” decals : I don’t think that Takom were using that photo you posted. I don’t think they were attempting to make the Tiger in the photo.
Because its number is not written in exactly the same place as the kit’s “002” number, but, much more important, it has a very different paint scheme. The kit’s dark red and green areas with bright borders are very distinct and they are not in that photo. We find them only in one specific Tiger unit.

I think Takom attempted to give us a Command Tiger that is not visible in any photos. That approach has been taken by other makers in the past, and it’s easier than researching a specific vehicle that is badly photographed. But Takom may have felt they were backed into a corner on this one, because Late Command Tigers are rare.

Anyway, as I said on my website, the Command Tigers of this unit had a different numbering scheme to what Takom give us. Do they know something we don’t know? Or did they take a guess and guess wrongly? The latter, is my assumption.

David

1 Like

My wife mentioned an order from Andy’s Hobby Headquarters in a Tiger Big Box arrived. Looking forward to checking this out very soon.

I strived to keep an open mind on the Takom Tiger’s. Given how suck-taclular the Takom Blitz Panzer III ausf N (old & new) proved dimensionally per Missing Lynx and disappointing the initial kit was build wise to me, that wasn’t easy.

Takom had a few minor missteps with the Tiger marketing with typographical errors that fueled lowering expectations. However, that was quickly set right so apparently Takom is paying attention.

That’s a very positive sign.

Quick Thoughts- YMMV

1. I’m about 100% certain the detestable link & length tracks will go in the bin along with just about every other set of L&L’s I’ve seen. Price point on the Big Box makes it less painful to go aftermarket. Already have a set of Fruilmodel’s built for a Late Model.

2. The kit looks worthy of Aber brass MG’s

3. The kit looks worthy of Aber Brass Antenna

4. Heavy Hobby headlight is a possible replacement part.

I feel very confident Takom’s Tiger 1 will be more refined out of the box than my last Tiger project…a 1970 vintage Tamiya early Tiger 1.

No aneurysms here if there’s a wrong style fiddle bit…but I will probably go nuclear if the number of wheels is wrong (j/k)

For starters the Takom kits will have the correct number of wheels…out of the box. I’m not going to be inclined to complain too much provided the Takom fits together as well as the old 1970 Tamiya Tiger (very good) and the instructions are as good as the old 1970 Tamiya Tiger (near perfect).

6 Likes

@Armor_Buff , If you’re itching to see some specific parts, I don’t mind taking close up pictures of them for you. Totally agree about those link and lengths, they’re going right in the bin for me too.

2 Likes

is it normal I’m fine with link & length tracks? I find they make my job easier and less painful. I’m tempted to get the big box for easter with a eduard gustav combo.

2 Likes