Takom Tiger 1 Big Box

No, it’s perfectly normal! I have found some link and length tracks that I enjoy, but the Takom link and length tracks that I’ve seen appear to be an unnecessary hassle with all of the guide teeth separate from the links themselves. For me that’s just more parts to clean up that I’d rather not do; besides, there is more room for error for some of us with link and length tracks than with metal tracks.

2 Likes

Some like Link&Length, some hate them
Some love indy-links, others hate them
Some hate soft tracks, some like them

I do not like soft tracks but that is my personal opinion.
I can handle Link&Length tracks, less work but also less freedom than indy-link.

3 Likes

Wow! Thank you, Colin.

I love to see:

1. the commanders cupola & loaders hatch

2. turret side escape hatch & hinge

3. the jack

4. rear engine deck grates

Thank you, again!

2 Likes

No problem!
Here is the cupola and loaders hatch:

You can see the swing arm, etc. for the cupola here in the top photo.

Turret roof:

Loaders hatch:

Turret side hatch and opening:
Looks like they give you two options for the hatch zimmerit, probably the left one for the late version, the right one for the mid version.

Let me know if you want a pic of the hinge part itself.

The Jack is spread across the sprue:

The rear engine deck grates already attached to the hull:

The ones on the sprue:

If you need anything else, just let me know! :grin:

4 Likes

NO! That is severely abnormal. The only cure is to immediately stop building models of tracked vehicles and only do aircraft models for a period of at least 5 years. This must be done to retrain your brain. You should not even look at model kits of tracked vehicles, to avoid a relapse!
I recommend that you get rid of ALL your tracked kits ASAP.
I would be glad to help you during this health emergency. Just pack up all your tracked vehicle kits and send them to me. You must do this, it is to save your life! :innocent: :joy: :rofl: :hospital:
Ken

4 Likes

Colin, I much appreciate the pictures. Thank you for taking time to take and post them.

I like the cupola choices one with rain gutters & one without. Given the zimmerit on the turret, is hinge for the escape hatch is the the 3 bolt? Looks like bottom track holders are included based on the bottom indentations in the turret.

The kit makes a good first impression so far.

See any sprue attachment points in the middle of the top of the hull like on their Blitz Panzer III ausf N shown below?

Thank you

4 Likes

You’re welcome!

Yes, it is the 3-bolt:

And no, I don’t see any sprue marks on the top hull. Here’s a full pic:

4 Likes

@DByrden , do you have photos of Tiger 132 of the 507th? I’ve done some looking around but I can’t seem to find any. Thanks!

2 Likes

Also, @Armor_Buff , the sprues that I took pictures of for you are from the mid production kit. Probably thought I should let you know about that in case you thought they were from the late production; however, most of the parts will be similar.

2 Likes

Colin, thanks you for the heads up.

I’m really very curious to see how well the new Takom Tiger goes together.

The on going David Byrden report may be of interest. It’s well worth a look, especially if a command Tiger is on the agenda.

Tiger 1 Info: Takom Late Model Tiger 1

I found this item of particular interest as it probably relates to all three kits and impacts any Takom mid/late Tiger build.

Looks like a solid kit but truth as always is in the building.

2 Likes

Mr Byrden also provides this:

My interpretation is that the tab and the notch in the turret roof can not align with the corresponding structures on the bottom of the cupola.
If my assumption is correct the builder will have to choose between two actions:

1. Remove the tab and align the cupola shaft with the crescent shaped notch
  2. Keep the tab and make a new crescent shaped notch.

The recommendation from Mr Byrden is to remove the tab since that has the added benefit of aligning the cupola correctly.
The image was borrowed from the link provided by @Armor_Buff

5 Likes

Bump, @DByrden

Don’t want to seem pushy, just thought you might’ve not seen this…

1 Like

Just a few… no good ones.

81_1
507 132 (1)
o10soj

David

3 Likes

Thanks, even though they’re not the best that’s good enough for me.

2 Likes

Hello, do you guys think it’d be possible to do 214 from falaise from the box of the late kit? I think the turret numbers can be painted easily and weathered usng drybrush

Thanks for your answers!

2 Likes

I think there’s a 214 marking in one of the kits, not sure though. I will check my boxes and let you know. I’m no expert, I’m not sure what version that tiger is. @DByrden might be able to help.

:grin:

2 Likes

The last time that 101 SS received any new Tigers, was April 1944.
Therefore Tiger 214 cannot have the two-part turret roof or the three “pilze” sockets on its roof.
We can see that it has the large muzzle brake, and almost certainly it would have a binocular gunsight.
In other words, it’s one of the earlier “Late” Tigers.

David

5 Likes

Missing Lynx: new-takom-tigers

Lot of excellent discussion and build relevant comments for those interested in the Takom Tiger’s.

3 Likes

Hello, sorry for the late answer, but would I be able to do it from the box and only have to paint the digits or I’d have to get an insignia too? Thanks for your answers!

2 Likes

Wich version of the roof would be better for 214?

I intend to use some of the accesorie since the box and keep other for panzer 46 (jerrican on a panther F turret per example)
Thanks for your answers!

2 Likes