Tamiya 1/350 IJN Heavy Cruiser Mogami (as Mikuma)

Thanks Russell :grinning:

The panel lines I’ve recreated are probably wrong as they are based on the well known photos of Mogami in 1935. After the 4th Fleet Incident, the ship’s shell plating was overhauled and the existing plates on the sides of the High-Angle Gun Deck (or Top Deck) were covered with additional Dücol Steel plating that was riveted rather than welded. So the new joints probably don’t match up with the old…

Of course the only images worth a fig of the Mogami-class hulls post modification are of the wrecks of the Mogami and Mikuma. And unfortunately, very few panel lines can be deciphered from these limited close in shots.

But I think the panels look nice at the very least, even if historical accuracy is questionable.

Marty

3 Likes

Hey all :wave: it’s been a while.

The past weeks have been spent planning and studying some new resources :smiley:

Scratch three items from my wishlist…

Back on the subject of “waste pipes” :grin:

If one closely examines photographs of the four Mogami-class cruisers, it becomes clear that no two ships had the same layout of these two pipes. Furthermore, kit manufacturers consistently get this detail wrong; the Fujimi and Tamiya 1/700 offerings omit the detail entirely, while the Tamiya 1/350 models all use the Mogami placement, but incorrectly have pipes on the port side as well. So, this issue seems like something that should be highlighted.

The differences can be subtle to make out, but here goes:

For the Mikuma, the forward pipe should be about 2.8m (0.32” in scale) further forward than on the Mogami

For the Suzuya and Kumano, the rear pipe should be about 13.4m (1.51” in scale) further aft than on the Mogami. The forward pipe should be moved aft 3.6m (0.40” in scale) and 4.8m (0.54” in scale) on the Suzuya and Kumano, respectively.

As I hinted in the last update, I have made a big change. As you can see from the modified position of the forward pipe, I will now be building the Mikuma rather than the Mogami. In truth this is essentially a nominal change, as the differences between the two ships are slight, but I think it will make my life easier. Also, I have been vacillating on this decision for quite some time, but recently the pros outweighed the cons, so to sum up:

Pros

1. Gakken No. 38 includes a nearly complete set of original plans for Mikuma (1940), which includes the layout of every significant feature on the decks (most importantly the ventilation systems). As far as can be determined, the surviving documentation for the Mogami is much more fragmented, and the deck layout given by Tamiya is demonstrably wrong.

2. The positions of portholes after the Second Efficiency Improvement Works (1937 structural reinforcement and reconstruction of the Mogami-class) are better documented for Mikuma than for Mogami. Tamiya’s layout is a hybrid between the 1935 layouts of Mikuma, Mogami, and Suzuya.

3. There are more reference photographs of Mikuma from 1940-1942 than of Mogami.

Cons

1. The tripod main mast (which varied among the Mogami-class ships) will have to be scratch built, but I have the photo etch for the platforms and derrick.

2. The forward waste pipe had to be moved as seen in the last update.

3. A box like structure under the forward port 25mm twin mount will have to be scratch built, as it is specific to the Mikuma.

As for build progress, I have been moving forward with improvements to the sheer strakes, and expect I should have a proper update with some eye candy in the next week. Until next time!

Marty

5 Likes

the lacroix book is awesome

1 Like

If you told my wife you had a Lacroix book, she’d think you had a catalog of seltzer beverages.

2 Likes

It is an epic book to be sure, just a little hard to find for a reasonable price these days. Luckily mine was a gift!

But really, the depth of knowledge in this book is incredible… for example, I had always wondered how the Japanese cruiser torpedo reload systems worked: now I know and have a schematic for good measure.

3 Likes

Marty,

very nice work and very good job on the in-depth research. Well, from current first-hand-experience I can tell you that no two warships of the same class ever look exactly the same, especially in details like waste pipes (“Fullbrass” we call that on German ships, sometimes even temporarily hung over the side. We got away with this entirely as we have different means of disposing organic waste today).
I’ll be an infrequent poster due to real life commitments, but I’m following your build with much interest.

Cheers
Jan

3 Likes

Hi Jan,

Thank you for the kind words, and the German nomenclature tidbit. It is always fascinating to learn of such particulars from those who know real ships! Here’s hoping that we may be surprised with a Gneisenau update in the near future? Been missing that one. In the meantime I will keep fettling away on the Mikuma.

Marty

1 Like

Okay scratch the big update, actually just a teaser of a post…

I did a really poor job documenting the process here and these are the only images of the model from the past two weeks. It was all feeling pretty experimental, plus my work area was a disaster, so no progress documentation was made. Improvements were made on the port side only; I plan to document the starboard side better and compose a step by step for reference. It has proven time-consuming to compose the full length updates, so it will probably be a few weeks before the log can be brought up to speed.

For now, a brief summary:

The HA-gun deck and sponsons are all dry fitted into place for fit checking purposes. Permanently mating these parts is a long way off.

The sheer strake (I think this is the right term) was made from 0.0025” brass sheet. The real plate was 20mm (0.0022” in scale) so this is pretty close. The top edge of this plating projects 0.024” above the HA gun deck, as defined in the as-built cross section of Mogami (Mikuma), post 1937 reconstruction. Additionally it came to my attention that the two upper strakes are both the same height (1.8m, or 0.202” in scale) but the upper one overlaps the lower significantly, which makes it appear much taller.

The lower strake was partially re-worked using the same 0.0015” aluminum foil, but with panel lines set in what I thought was a more plausible layout (that is, to replicate the plating after the 1937 Second Efficiency Improvement Works) and was based on period photos.

Finally, Tamiya molded the portholes undersized :face_with_monocle: so I decided to drill these out larger and adjust a few of their positions. The layout shown here is correct for Mikuma 1938-1942, and was derived from period photos and original (1940) Mikuma plans. The porthole size was increased from 0.025” to 0.035” in diameter. I will be replacing the molded rigols with photo etch ones. There are about 350 in total so this will be quite the task… :grin:

Happy Modeling!

7 Likes

Enjoying this thread Marty - I don’t envy your task with the ports but a guy’s gotta do what a guy’s gotta do . Better you than me ! :wink:

Cheers- Richard

2 Likes

Great work, Marty, very nice update.

Gneisenau will continue, no worries, but real life is still eating up most of my time…

Cheers
Jan

2 Likes

Whoa it’s been a while.

Stress over deadlines at work kept me away from the bench for most of this month :angry: but I accomplished a bit of planning during the (seemingly) interstitial time. Templates were created to aid in the marking of porthole locations prior to drilling. Also took some time to work out the dimensions of the shear strakes at the bow and stern of the ship. Now that I am back at the bench, porthole drilling has commenced on the lower decks and I have begun making some really nice improvements to the bow plating, more on that to come.

In other news, I finished the starboard shear strake plating ages ago but never got around to presenting it.

Also, as promised here is a step by step for the installation of the shear strake plating. After much deliberation I have elected to add this detailing to the Main Deck shear strake as well. It will lengthen build time for sure, but after the success with the High-Angle Gun Deck I just can’t resist. Besides, brass is pretty…

And here are a few more pictures of the result. The first and last 12 m shear strake plates were omitted for now as they will wrap around the fore and aft of the uppermost deck, once it is all glued permanently.

Hopefully this month will bring more regular updates as I get back to the bench.

:beer: Cheers,

Marty

8 Likes

Marty you do an incredible work here. I am deeply impressed about your skills and efforts :+1: :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Thank you, Thomas. It’s sheer bullheadedness I assure you. 116 portholes drilled, 232 to go.

2 Likes

:wave: Hi all,

The starboard shear strake for the upper deck has been completed! I decided to extend the use of brass plating fore and aft, as it seems to be the most accurate way to model the slight bulwark; it also allows for crisp portholes, and makes it easy to model the lapped plating.

As built in 1935, this shear strake was originally flush with the deck of Mogami/Mikuma/Suzuya, but was replaced with a taller, riveted plate during the Second Efficiency Improvement Works (1936-1938). The design of the Kumano was also modified in this way before its launch in 1937.

The rest of the bow plating seems straight forward but for the existence of a photo of Kumano’s bow the day of her launch. This photo shows many strakes of additional plating that were added in response to the Fourth Fleet Incident (Second Efficiency Improvement Works). The single photograph is the only evidence for this; no specific details are offered by La Croix & Wells pertaining to the fitting of additional plating on the bow of Mogami-class cruisers.

I’m moving on to work on the port side now to buy some time. No need to rush a decision about the bow. The added plating looks cool, but it would be a shame going to all that effort if it’s not accurate. :sunglasses:

Marty

8 Likes

Minux,

Nice work with the installation of the strake. It looks like the strake extends above the deck, did the Japanese install it that way?

Mark :beer:

1 Like

Hi Mark,

Good question. I missed this detail at first as I spent too much time looking at pictures of the class during sea trials (in the as-built condition).

The short answer is yes…

The Mogami, Mikuma, and Suzuya were all completed at the time of the Fourth Fleet Incident (1935); Kumano was still on the slipway. The ships were reconstructed* to strengthen the welded section of the hull between 1936 and 1938, hence the changes to the shear strakes. Kumano was also modified accordingly, but while still on the slipway.

*Edit: what I meant here is that L&W imply that most of the deck and shell plating was replaced but they are a bit wishy-washy on the specifics. What is definitively known is that for Mogami, 685 tons of hull material were removed and 1748 tons added, for a net increase of 1063 tons, which is a pretty significant reconstruction.

With further investigation, the photographic record is quite clear!

The extended shear strake edge/bulwark ends around the front of turret No. 1, where a transition occurs and the bulwark becomes slightly shorter and inboard. From this point forward the shear strake is flush with the very edge of the deck.

Marty

6 Likes

Hi all,

Progress has been made although I must confess that these days I am splitting project time about 75% planning and 25% actually working on the model. There are just so many issues to work out with the hull detailing :face_with_monocle: and no reference material does these elements justice. Anyway, I’m actually having a blast with all this research and I think the results are paying off.

There are currently four tasks I am tackling on the model, each of which is worth an update post, but only one is ready so…

Let’s talk about portholes!

75 more portholes have been drilled on the port side bow, middle and lower decks. Brass plating will come later as the stern portholes will be up next (to give myself a bit more time to finalize my thinking on the shell plating). It doesn’t really shown up in this image due to the potato cam, but the middle deck portholes follow a horizontal line until they are level with turret No. 3, where they dip down slightly. The compound curvature of the bow made lining up these ports a real pain, as in this case: horizontal line does not equal straight line. This photo of Mikuma during launch is the best reference available for the port side bow portholes, and was essential for this step.

With that small update out of the way, I thought it could be informative to expound upon my thinking behind the general layout and placement of these portholes. As you may have noticed, I have shifted every porthole to some degree from its original position (as molded by Tamiya). This was relatively easy to accomplish in material terms, but required months of effort on my part in terms of research and planning. While I am impressed with the engineering and fit of the kit (it literally snaps together seamlessly) I am less than thrilled with the placement and scaling of many of the smaller details. It did not take much analysis of the kit to determine that virtually every porthole was undersized and incorrectly positioned.

Now, on many warships the portholes are laid out in nice straight lines on one or two decks, with even and consistent spacing; not so with these IJN heavy cruisers. The portholes are arranged in undulating lines with variable spacing across many decks. Also, there are so many of them, and each ship of the Mogami-class has its own unique layout. Further muddying the waters is the fact that a handful of these portholes were removed or shifted during the Second Efficiency Improvement Works. Fortunately, the changes are reasonably well-documented in photographs and it is possible to create porthole layouts for each ship, with decent accuracy. I have yet to find a reference book that comes remotely close to accurately portraying these porthole layouts, which is why it has become such a point of focus for me. I hope that this thread may help others in the future who wish to enhance the accuracy of their Mogami-class builds.

(Be warned, I’m an incorrigible porthole counter, but you knew that already :wink:)

So, if you are interested, here is the convoluted process I followed:

1. Gather all useful images of the class that show porthole positions (primary source material).
I eventually collected 10 of Mogami, 8 of Mikuma, 11 of Suzuya, and 3 of Kumano. All my reference books have been invaluable.

2. Compare these images to the existing secondary source material.
These secondary sources were the Tamiya model, any profile view drawings that included portholes, and Model Art Super Illustration isometric drawings with portholes shown.

3. Realize that the primary material contradicts the majority of the secondary source material.
I quickly cast aside any ideas that were brewing about using the secondary material as a reference for porthole positions.

4. Take an existing profile view to use as a base for a corrected porthole layout profile view.
For this I used a high-resolution scan of 1938 Suzuya plans which I found for free online, but it was originally sourced from the ($900!) Plans of ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, History of shipbuilding in Showa era separated volume, 1975).

5. Use all available images to determine the correct porthole positions and draw them onto the plan.
I used MS Paint for this to be quick and dirty, although there are obviously slicker program options out there. Using the Suzuya layout as a starting point I added, removed, and shifted portholes as necessary to conform to the reference photos. I created these layout plans for the port and starboard side of Mikuma for both the 1935 and 1938 refit conditions. Of course, once the first one was created there were just small tweaks that needed to be made to create the other plans. It is important to realize that although the ships all had different porthole layouts, about 75% of the portholes were in common locations, and that they are all fit into a sort of “grid” formed by the frames and decks of the ship. The last important thing to notice is that Mogami and Mikuma have very similar porthole layouts, while Suzuya and Kumano are likewise nearly identical. There is however a huge difference between Mogami/Mikuma and Suzuya/Kumano.

6. Turn this information into a dimensionally accurate template to be used for setting the position of portholes to be drilled, and double checking these positions after drilling.
I actually completed steps 1 through 5 back in June. More recently, I discovered a scan of the complete deck plans of Suzuya (also from Plans of ships of the Imperial Japanese Navy, History of shipbuilding in Showa era separated volume, 1975) which shows every porthole location on every deck! I used the porthole layout profile views created in step 5 as a general guide to create modified porthole plan views of each deck with porthole positions specific to Mikuma 1938-1941. See below: green represents common to Suzuya and Mikuma, purple is Mikuma, and black is Suzuya. The modified image was then scaled and printed at 1/350.

7. Determine the vertical position and size of portholes.
For this I relied mostly on proportional analysis of photographs. I started with a known hull dimension from plans, usually the distance from the top edge of the armor belt to the top edge of the shear strake, measured along the hull. This dimension is 0.420” and is consistent along the hull and clearly visible in most photos. Then, I measured this distance on a photograph in millimeters (because metric rules), the distance I wished to determine in millimeters, and used some simple maths to find the unknown distance. The same process was used to double check porthole sizes which I pulled from scans of the original plans of Mikuma and Suzuya.

8. Use the template to drill pilot holes, then adjust hole positions as needed.
Measure twice and cut once as they say, although this was more like measure ten times, drill three times! I often had to plug holes and re-drill them as it was very tricky to get these dense strings of portholes to line up neatly. This mess was cleaned up with an application of thinned Mr. Surfacer and some sanding.

Hopefully this guide was illuminating and helpful to anyone wishing to do something as bonkers as repositioning hundreds of portholes on their model ship. Moving forward I plan to add portholes to the stern, then the complete the shear strake brass plating. Hopefully everyone following this build will forgive my snail’s pace and stay tuned for future updates.

In other news, some reference materials I have coveted for many months were recently acquired:

Because you can never have enough boat books.

:beers:

Marty

12 Likes

Very scholarly effort Marty - I admire your tenacity.

3 Likes

You are quite crazy :+1:
If you had worked for the japanese navy the portholes would have been straight! :slight_smile:
Congratulations for your research and your patience!

Cheers

Tom

2 Likes

Wow, Marty - what impressive research. I thought I was wonky, but you have taken it to a whole other level! :grin: I wish you worked for Tamiya, then I would know things would be done right. This is fascinating work - carry on! :+1:t3:

3 Likes