Tamiya AMX-13, IDF

I started this thinking it would be quick and easy, but after a bit of research, I slowed down. Tamiya’s kit is a good starting point but it’s an earlier hull than what the IDF actually used during the 6 Day War, so I’m doing what I can until some goodies show up. It’s a fun kit and would have been fine OOB as a French unit, but that’s maybe for a later day. Where I am so far:
IMG_4099 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4098 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
I used a set of Friuls I’ve had around for a while, and the correct headlights and guards are on the way, some 3D printed items from FC Modeltrend. Fingers crossed there, I haven’t heard much good about their products but they’re the only game in town at the moment. I very briefly considered scratching the guards but nixed that, beyond my skills. The correct side stowage bins are in a Takom kit I have on the way, as are the needed turret bits. More later…

8 Likes

Are you changing the road wheels Russel? The Israeli ones had the bolted, not welded, roadwheels. The AMX 13-75 on display at Latrun is not an ex-Israeli one.

When I built the Takom AMX Chaffee I just removed the welds and added bolts:

Have you seen this thread?

Olivier has some great info, especially on the Israeli AMX that may have info you could use.
Cheers

2 Likes

I hadn’t noticed the wheels, thanks. I have the SabingaMartin AMX-13 book, and he does say in it that the example in the museum came from somewhere else. It doesn’t have the turret riser either.
I’ve looked at Olivier’s thread, that’s part of what motivated me to slow down and use some Takom parts. Lots of great info in it.

2 Likes

Russel
Thanks for the appreciation.
The riser is a late improvement introduced by IDF. You can model yours without it depending on the time frame.

Olivier

1 Like

Credit where credit’s due. Are you by chance one of the authors of the Images of War AMX-13 book?
The riser is there, can’t really remove it at this point, looks to be there in pics credited to the 6 Day War period, hope that’s correct.

1 Like

This photo is said to be of one in the 6 day war.

as is this one.

Looks like a riser in place in both.

3 Likes

I am not one of the authors of the book you mentioned.
The riser has been introduced from 1957. If it’s already in place don’t remove it. I know how tricky it is to make it. :grin:

Olivier

2 Likes

Accurate Armor sells a set of early roadwheels, as well as an IDF update set that includes the wheels and other useful bits.

1 Like

I’ll have to look around. It’s funny, the Tamiya kit has the very early side storage boxes but other features are from later hulls. I wonder what example they used as a reference. It also seems like since the vast majority of the IDF tanks I have pics of are on Type B hulls they would have had the welded road wheels as well.

1 Like

There are only a few decent books out on the AMX-13 - WWP, Images of War (that you mentioned). However, the best books (in my opinion) for deciphering the changes to the AMX-13 are the two volumes written by Peter Lau (who also helped with the Images of War title). They are print on demand books available from lulu.com, one on the chassis and the second on the turret. Somewhat expensive, and the print quality of print-on-demand books can sometimes be not great, but still the best reference for building a model of the AMX-13 as he focuses on the details, not the history or service life.

2 Likes

I have the SabingaMartin book, good quality but only covers up to the 6 Day War. I also have the Images of War book, it’s a little light on IDF use but fantastic information on the tank and various versions.

1 Like

Sabingamartin is supposed to release a volume 2 about the IDF AMX 13.

The Tamiya model is correct. The AMX13 types all went through upgrade periods at the manufacturer lines. So an early hull with late features is correct.

Olivier

2 Likes

I would love to see Vol.2 of the SabingaMartin book…
In the meantime, before I cook dinner, I removed the weld beads on the Tamiya wheels and scribed a line to show the difference between the rim and center. It’s closer, and with some Meng bolts will look the part. I think…
IMG_4101 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
Pic’s not great but I was in a hurry.

3 Likes

A better pic:
IMG_4103 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
Once I got a system down it only took an hour to do all of them. Now for the bolts…

2 Likes

One hundred twenty bolts on the wheels, one hundred twenty bolts on the wheels…
Sorry.
IMG_4106 by Russel Baer, on Flickr

7 Likes

:notes: …and if one of those bolts should accidentally fall, there will be one hundred and nineteen bolts on the wheels… :notes:

:laughing:

They do look great though.

3 Likes

The Takom kit came in so I’ve gotten back to this. I’m following Olivier’s build example closely, but I had to fudge the muffler cover unless I wanted to take quite a few steps back. What I ended up with is an early cover with later side bins, which while I don’t actually have a pic of, I’m sticking with it or I’ll never finish. Also, the FC Modeltrends single headlights with guards came in and I’m pleasantly surprised: they appear to be nicely done and most importantly the resin is nowhere near as brittle as other 3D products I’ve struggled with to the point of giving up. Anyway, pics so far:
IMG_4121 by Russel Baer, on FlickrIMG_4119 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4118 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
Now that I have all the parts I need to finish, I should move along nicely so I can get back on a couple of other weird things I have in progress.

8 Likes

More bits, almost primer time.
IMG_4123 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_4122 by Russel Baer, on Flickr

10 Likes

It’s nicely taking shape. I’m eager to see it with some paint on.

Olivier

3 Likes

It took a while but it’s in paint, Tamiya TS-46 light sand.
IMG_4132 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
Detail painting next which should go quickly since this thing is kind of small…

7 Likes