Tamiya business decisions

[EDIT: Some context, as this was moved from another thread. There, a modeler wrote about a 2020 Tamiya kit:

“Honestly, disappointed with the link & length and would much prefer a working individual link track set up like Ryefield Model provides in their Pz III/IV kits.”

“Hull top looks promising! The recesses should allow adding the slot for screw head details. A little annoyed at this especially around the hatches as TriStar nailed these details over a decade ago.”

*“The fender undersides aren’t Dragon perfect but they’ll clean up easily.” *

“Turret top looks promising! The recesses should allow adding the slot for screw head details. A little annoyed at this especially as TriStar nailed these details over a decade ago.”

“I really wish Tamiya had retooled the wheels on this 2020 Pz IV kit to be honest. It’s a nice wheel but missing some welds.”

“WTF?! - the bow MG 34 isn’t slide molded. Someone tell Tamiya it’s the 2020’s, the not 1990’s. It’s a new molded part but really C76 should have been slide molded with an opened barrel end.”

"Main Gun part 1: Tamiya = Fumble
“Where’s that flat head screw slot detail? TriStar & Dragon had it 15+ years ago. Simple to mold in.”

Interestingly, there is also a clear statement of what Tamiya is about: “Overall, to me the kit looks very nice. Of course the magic with Tamiya’s kits isn’t in the individual part trees or fancy details so much but in how nicely the parts integrate into a superb model and superior building experience.” This makes one wonder why the previous negative comments and comparisons were made in the first place. Pointing them out is one thing, criticizing Tamiya for not being like other companies is quite another, especially where there are other comments bemoaning the complexity and poor fit of the kits from the same companies.]

There’s no point in getting frustrated, annoyed, or disappointed. Tamiya has figured out their market perfectly, and it ain’t people like us. It’s obvious that if they can make a detail improvement without adding to production or assembly complexity, they’ll do it, but they have no interest in creating a 1000 part monstrosity.

At this point no one should be surprised at what you get in a Tamiya box. I can describe right now what the kits they’ll release in 2028 will be like: Slightly better than their kits made in 2023, in the same way those kits were slightly better than their 2018 releases. You know what you are going to get; don’t buy one and go on about how it doesn’t have the same detail as a kit with seven times as many sprues.

To put it other terms, when you choose a small economy compact as your second car, don’t be annoyed or frustrated that it doesn’t have the 0 to 60 speed or legroom of your full-size performance sedan.

KL

9 Likes

Kurt,

I am a big fan of Tamiya kits because they are not 1000-part monstrosities. Just saying . . .

Bill

16 Likes

Many, many, people are. What makes me shake my head are those who complain that they aren’t “state of the art”. Not every company strives to be, or has to be.

KL

4 Likes

Each and every manufacturer or vendor make their own business decisions and we as customers make our decisions based on our own preferences.
Do I want to accept the challenge of a 1000 part kit with less than legible instructions or do I choose a quick and easy build with less details?
Climb Mount Everest or buy a book with photos from one of the expeditions made by others?
Each to his own.

5 Likes

I might add that the “ Tamiya Experience “ if you will goes beyond detail and the number of parts or lack there of . People who don’t assemble models likely will never understand the joy of putting something together but for those of us that do , Tamiya delivers in spades . I’ve said this before but here I go again -
Every modeler regardless of genre should assemble Tamiya’s P 38 . Don’t paint it , decal it - heck , don’t even glue it . Just assemble it .

6 Likes

Wow that’s awesome sauce :clap: on Tamiya’s P-38 kit! I don’t like plane kits in general but now I want that one.

4 Likes

I had one for a hot minute at the club gift swap, the green/grey bird and the kit looked lovely. Dang it, now I want one again.

4 Likes

I’m not a fan of the 1000 part kits either or this peer pressure stop using rubber band tracks an convert to independent link tracks. occasionally it adds to the look but not all the time

7 Likes

I agree. I wouldn’t buy a kit with a crazy parts count, unless it was going into a Dio specifically to show it with the engine out or a turret lift etc… Saying that, I do want to do an interior kit, just to tick it off the list and say I tried it, still don’t see the need for it…

Same with aftermarket tracks… Have never ever used them. On every kit I have built, the kit ones are what I work with, and with a bit of time and patience, I can easily make work. The only time I will be getting aftermarket tracks is for my Cr1 ride build so I can leave a few side plates off to show the track sag for first thing in the morning…

7 Likes

I like the 800 piece kits, I’m a builder, so I get a lot of pleasure out of an intricate build. But I have a lot of Tamiya kits in the stash. It’s fun to experience the excitement of pulling a Tamiya kit and starting it, knowing I’m going to have a beautiful, carefree, fun, trouble free build that’s going to give me a good looking model. Do I buy tracks, PE, and barrel for it? Sometimes, if it’s a contest build. But sometimes I just build a Tamiya kit OOB, with a sigh of gratitude and contentment and a confidence that it’s going to be a fun build, and that’s what it’s really all about, isn’t it?

10 Likes

Exactly.

My point here and elsewhere is that if you allow other modelers to build kits as they choose, why doesn’t that extend to model companies? If you wouldn’t say to a modeler, “String for a tow cable? C’mon man, it ain’t 1987!!”, why would you scold a company for not using slide molding on the MG barrel?

KL

1 Like

wee-eeelll acktchuallyyy,
I have heard similar comments at competitions :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
One renowned model builder (extreme chipper and weatherer)
once called my humble attempts “boring” which I took as a
HUGE compliment. It made my day that day and many days since :grin: :+1:

7 Likes

I like to think I have a different view on building I build my way and to my vision of what I want the model to be. I don’t really build interiors leaning more towards the “locked up in the motor pool” look. but I have felt the pressure to go crazy with extra parts and improved upgrade kits but for the most part I just want to build my kits and not break the bank or piss off the funding department for our family.

3 Likes

I like both and there is a place for both. After a few months marathon building say a Takom or MiniArt mega-part Interior kit, I need to unwind with something simple. Tamiya fills this slot completely. They also do some kits that no one else does, so once again, if the subject matter appeals, do it.

7 Likes

Now you see, I feel no pressure, even though I will often put a lot of detailing in my models. I don’t know how/why anyone would stick with a “hobby” where they feel pressured to do things a certain way. Likewise, when someone talks about a “stress-free build”. I don’t experience stress in model building because, again, I don’t choose stressful hobbies. An absence of joy, yes, at times, for a time, but not stress or pressure. When I see a totally tricked out model I’ll either think, “I’ll bet I could try some of that” or “That’s nuts. I’m not gonna do that.” (In the latter case, it’s usually after looking closely and seeing that the detail isn’t apparent in a painted, 1/35 model.)

So, in this one case, I will tell somebody how they ought to build their models: If you are feeling stress, pressure, or regular frustration in the hobby, maybe modeling isn’t for you.

KL

3 Likes

I agree with you and for me the stress is self-imposed. My problem is I build the kits of vehicles that I have worked on, so the drive and annoyance for things to look like they should is what i stress out about. The Panda Hobby Husky kit almost made me rage quit the hobby.

2 Likes

Kurt,

I love taking an older kit and making something of it. The builder can do a huge number of things to modify and improve the basic kit. Or the builder can simply build OOB and get as much satisfaction. However, I am close to 70, my eyes are failing, and a massively.intense kit with lots of PEis now beyond my abilities.

Bill

3 Likes

I :heart: 1,000 piece kits.
I also :heart: Tamiya kits.
I really :heart: accurate, easy to build kits that are cheap.

I think vinyl tracks are :poop: and hope that the :clown_face: who invented them gets abducted by :alien: and subjected to a full examination. That was a joke. I know many people prefer vinyl tracks, especially the ones with modern formulations that actually bend and glue with regular model cement. That is great and I wish those people well. Unfortunately, when a model only comes with vinyl tracks or tires, I need to add $25 or more to the kit price, which kinda sucks. In a perfect universe, kits would come with two options.

I want everyone to get along and :slightly_smiling_face: and build some cool models and figures and dioramas and stuff.

2 Likes

Tamiya the shake the box add glue and kit is built. Beauty in simplicity. Always has been the good kit sans the throwing across the room in frustrated anger cause the suspension springs just flew out cause you only have the two hands you were born with .

Kvetch about something but not Tamiya…

5 Likes

Oh, well there you go - that’s not you, that’s the kit! It’s well known to us styrene veterans that Panda kits are POS :poop: and take an advanced modeler a lot of modding and scratching to even get together into a presentable model. You get a pass on that one. Stay away from all Eastern European kits, too.

3 Likes