Tamiya IDF M151A2 TOW, Lebanon 1982/83

I started this for the IDF 75th Anniversary Campaign, but didn’t get it completed in time. I finally wrapped this one up yesterday. I set out on this thinking that it would be an easy change to alter this kit from US to IDF configuration. It turns out that what was envisaged as a quick few weeks build turned into something quite a bit more involved. Part of that was me, increasing the detail on the TOW system and the radios, and of course modifying the stowage of most everything else in the vehicle. From looking at photos, it looks like the IDF modified these jeeps several times over their service lives, and I went with something of a mid life configuration, based upon photos from Lebanon in 1982/83, combining features seen on several different TOW jeeps. I used AK Real Colors for the IDF Sand Gray and Humbrol & Vallejo for most all of the detail work.

Thanks for looking… comments and critiques welcome…

24 Likes

A very neat looking, and well presented model Carlos, absolutely love it.

1 Like

Looks great

1 Like

@BootsDMS @Dan
Thanks for looking in and commenting guys!
Brian, this time, most everything worked out as envisioned… for a change… LOL!

2 Likes

Looks great.

Two things I noticed in the last two photos. The hood tarp has what looks like a flake of some kind on it. The second in behind the Tow in the floor looks like a hole for a part.

1 Like

Great looking piece Carlos- the Jeeps used by the IDF were always packed to the gills with equipment and you capture this faithfully- showing just how little space there is. The detail on the TOW is particularly nice.

2 Likes

That looks fantastic, but it does look like there is a hole in the floor…

1 Like

And it came out real good, too!

1 Like

Digging into it more, the original Tamiya part has the hole. Reason unknown. The part is for the Tow kit only.

1 Like

Looks the part. Nice job. One thing is the drivers windshield, most of them in my AO in Lebanon had a half windshield for the driver takes a bit of cutting of the windshield frame so it fits the driver station. And it was only used while driving and folded down when I combat mode. Cause the plastic goggles at the time were like 1970’s safety goggles from science class and would fog up
. But looks like what was in the beka valley… keep it up

2 Likes

That looks great. Man, the Israelis packed a lot of stuff on those M151s.

Jim

1 Like

The hole would be for the non-TOW jeep machine gun post. Overall a good look. Recommend the straps for axe be added, and although the TOW tripod legs are tied together, what is holding it to the cowl/hood? Replace the front bumper with some C-channel plastic which will capture the actual bumper look. Tamiya didn’t get that correct, but overall not bad for a late 70s/early 80s kit.

1 Like

Thanks for all the feedback guys. As far as the hole in the floor goes, I think it is some sort of drain hole. I found this photo to show that it is there… it’s not for a machine gun pintle mount, as it would interfere with the TOW mount.

@Tank_1812, Ryan I think that the flake you’re referring to on the tarp is the black painted alligator clip on the tie down strap. I guess that I need to touch that up into its proper shape…

@Karl187, Karl I went and added as much detail as I could remember off of the TOW I system. it’s been over 35 years since I was a TOW gunner and handled a system. Although I did forget one detail on the sight, that I might go back and add, the T shaped latching handle that locks the sight onto the traveling unit. If this thing had a night sight, there would be even more boxes of accessories to add…!

@Robert_Goldman, Robert, I only found a handful of photos of the TOW jeeps, and under all that hood stowage, I couldn’t find any evidence of windshields. Particularly with the ground mount tripod repositioned to the fender in front of the driver. The high school science class safety glasses to issue goggles analogy is too funny!

Here are the reference photos that I based my build off of…

IMG_8113

4 Likes

Wow, I like it. Well done!

Mario

1 Like

Found another one with a drain hole.
IMG_0466

Very interesting. Photos to bring to a contest as I am sure others would ding you for it.

1 Like

Sorry for the late reply, but… are these later versions? Wirh the FN Mag?
And is that a nightsight on top?

a029c0a39a5a2f052a09b301542dd45d

3 Likes

Outstanding job Stik. Great job on the building and finishing of the kit.

1 Like

@RonW , Ah man, I wish I had seen some of those photos a few weeks ago! Great stuff! Yes, the top photo has the AN/TAS-4 Thermal Night Vision Sight. It clamps on to the rail on top of the day sight. A great piece of gear, but a bit bulky. Particularly the early ones that needed seperate batteries and coolant cartridges. If you notice the later configuration, the IDF added a third ready missile round on a shelf over the radio, and moved the spare tire from it’s original location behind the right front tire to the right rear corner. Also many of the jeeps sporting the FN/MAG look to have it on a swing arm mount instead of basic pintle. Looks like they went to a larger rectangular rear view mirror in place of the small round production type.:thinking:

@Maki, @metalhead85,
Thanks guys for your compliments guys! I’m glad to hear that you approve. It looks good amongst my IDF builds on my shelves. I need more IDF softskins. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

@M75, it looks like the IDF added some tie down strap points on the fender for the tripod when they changed the configuration. And yes, I should get a strap on the axe. I’ll save the C-channel suggestion for my next M151 project. I have a few more in my stash. :smirk:

2 Likes

Carlos, from one 11 Hotel to another, you’ve done a hell of a job on this M151. Your detailing is superb (except maybe for the locking handle) and your stowage looks incredible. It’s a nice tight build with outstanding paint and excellent weathering. I started on TOW Jeeps in '82. Nimble, but you were really hanging your ass out there! Anyway, beautiful model!

3 Likes

Sorry, man. Maybe you can use them to tweak things a little.

1 Like