Tamiya T-55A

Tamiya T-55A…

Fruil tracks, selected Eduard PE and scratch external fuel lines.

31 Likes

What did you make the log out of?
Ken

2 Likes

It’s the kit supplied plastic log.

1 Like

Very nice looking tank. The plastic log looks like wood

3 Likes

I really like this type of builds. Not too heavy weathering, as much as a working tank should have, defined details, shapes and lines. :+1: :+1: :100:

2 Likes

Great build Wade. Perfect weathering effect. I really love the rust on the tow cable ends. The log is so well done I thought you had sanded down a piece of dowel to use. Exceptional.

Is this the firing cable for a secret weapon in the tube?

:grin: :clown_face:

8 Likes

Fantastic build and finish Wade…so many lovely bits of detailing and weathering and as Nikos said, you have done to a perfect level and not gone over board :+1:

4 Likes

Beautiful job Wade! Excellent weathering too, nice and subtle.
Maybe that’s a dog or cat hair Peter has circled??

3 Likes

Cat hair is my guess.

Great looking T-55 Wade. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

@KoSprueone, thank you!
The unditching log drybrushing and wash was fun change of pace.

@gtdeath13 Nikos, thank you! I too like to see the AFV’s details not just heavy weathering effects.

@petbat Peter, thank you, I like your dowel idea for unditching log! The tow cables were most fun. .

Kali “contributed” a weathering effect! Darn, I missed getting that one! :laughing: :rofl:

@Johnnych01 John, thank you much appreciated! Learned of the T-55 fuel line kit afterwards.

@Tank_1812 Ryan, thank you! Winner, winner! Kali cat strikes back.

10 Likes

A nicely finished specimen there Wade!

2 Likes

Outstanding work! … Now be sure to save that Kali cat wire! :smirk_cat:

—mike

2 Likes

Excellent painting and weathering. A worn and used but not abused vehicle. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Really nice outcome of a model that is a good starting point, but something of a second Death Star from Star Wars - lacks a lot. I see added mesh grills (PE) that most boxes ommits, and the most important thing to notice are fuel pipe lines - where did you get them?
Nice looking build!

2 Likes

@Karl187 Karl, much appreciated, it’s nice to have this one completed.

@justsendit Michael, thank you!
LoL, :laughing: Kali enthusiastically “manufacturers” lots of replacement “wires” 24/7/365

@Armorsmith DV, thank you! I wanted the T-55 to look like it had been around but was still serviceable.

@iguanac Marko, much appreciated. That’s great description of the Tamiya kit, great bones but could use some additions.

The fuel lines are scratch built items from lead solder, Grandt Line nuts & bolts, and small plastic tube. I learned after building, Mig offered a fuel line kit and maybe someone else.

There’s also some additional Eduard photo etch scattered around the model. The DhSK has several PE parts etc & the straps on back of the turret. I skipped a lot of PE set as it didn’t seem to add all that much. On bright side it had two sets of engine deck screens, spares for another project.

3 Likes

About those fuel lines …
This is what Miniart has to say in this matter:

In case someone needs the extra info to improve the Tamiya kit …
The rest of the instructions can be found here:

4 Likes

i had to scratchbuilt those lines too. I don’t want to hijack the topic, yet one can see the ammount of additional work needed for Tamiya - i had more to fix as i was building Polish version.

If anyone has dilemmas, for almost the same ammount of money excellent Miniart can be bought.
Yet this model is there to improve our skills!
Very nice work!

4 Likes

I like Superhobby, I research and order from them all the time but for viewing details the scalemates pdf is easier to view.

4 Likes

Wade, this model is exquisite. A super solid build combined with a lot of personal detailing and brilliant finishing. A micro-study in weathering, as the vehicle is not just gently worn, but all of the components are shown in their individually worn states. This piece is a study in superior Master Class finishing skills. Every view brings new colors, shades, and textures to marvel at. Outstanding attention to detail and the addition of the extra parts creates a whole that is just a pleasure to look at. You have outdone yourself, and with your skill and talent, that’s no mean feat.

7 Likes

:+1: :grin:

Try a kit from Alan to really get those skills shining like diamonds
:rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes