Tamiya T-72

I was just going to clean up the bench, really, and I had to move what I had considered a permanent shelf queen out of the way. Well, after a quick look at where I’d stalled, I thought “why not?”. My original intention, probably seven or eight years ago, was to “correct” the upper glacis and build something more “accurate” than the Tamiya kit. About the time I got the hull together and the glacis hacked out and replaced with sheet stock, it came to light that Tamiya had actually done a pretty decent T-72M1, at least the hull. Turret shape and size is still up in the air, to the best of my understanding. And I had a Miniarm “Ural” turret in the box, along with an RB barrel. And a set of ready-to-go Friuls from an OOB build 20 years ago. I also had a little bit of PE for the T-72 and a bunch left over from various “T” tanks. And lastly, after the Challenger builds, I needed to do something different, so with the two “Armor in Syria” books from Abrams Squad in hand, I dug in. I don’t have to be totally accurate, and a lot of the fiddly stuff is “gone” in the pics anyway, so after a couple of days, here it sits:
IMG_3618 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3619 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3621 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3624 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
IMG_3620 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
I haven’t built anything beat up in a long time, so one of these rolling wrecks was fun. Painting should be a hoot.

11 Likes

Looks pretty damn good , could make a nice war torn Syrian government forces T-72

Those road wheel tires look amazing ! Maybe consider beating up the fuel cells & stowage boxes a bit, they’re only aluminum.

Looks pretty good to me. You should have plenty of different finishes and even markings to consider if it is to be a sort of ‘rolling wreck’ as you said.

Thanks all.
Yes, it’s going to Syrian, great examples of just how bad a tank can look and still be (mostly) operational.
Good idea Sean, thanks. I beat up the tires with a couple of grinding bits in a Dremel, and a nice new #11 blade, just a lot more than I usually do. I’m thinking of using the one in the foreground of the fourth pic with one tire completely gone, not sure yet. I think I’ll hang the broken tow cable off a rear hook, just for animation.
I plan on a tan pattern over green, with lots of paint damage.

Good plan Russ, the wheels look great. Very beat up, worn and very realistic :+1:

1 Like

Great subject choice! I love the early T-72s, and can’t wait to see what you do with this one.

1 Like

5 Likes

Great pics Greg, love some of that improvisation with the add on armour…

The last image is a properly trashed wagon… Looks like it’s been in every battle ever fought…

Great examples of truly beat up tanks. Some of the add-on armor looks a little impractical, to say the least.

This is a new process for me, and I like it so far. I started with a decent coat of Tamiya AS-22, a nice medium brown color and let that cure overnight. Next was a light coat of my wife’s medium-hold hairspray followed by several very light coats of Vallejo 4BO Russian Green, also from a spray can. After about 30 minutes, I started lightly scrubbing with a junk brush, bristles cut down to a nub. I have lots of those, stashed with my pastel powders… At first the Vallejo color came off instantly, so I put it aside and waited until the next morning, began again and got better results. In places where I took off too much, I added color back with Panzer Aces “Camo Green”, using a variety of brushes, old and new. As it’s pictured below, it has a coat of clear flat over that to protect it from further steps. Next will be a yellowish sand color in irregular splotches, copying the pics I have best possible, with the same process of scrubbing afterwards.
I also beat up the side tanks and storage bins, too much I think. It’s a good thing the plastic was thick there.
IMG_3625 by Russel Baer, on Flickr

2 Likes

IMG_3627 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
Keep scrubbing or seal it? It’s going to get a HEAVY dusting with gray and sand pigments, so much that a lot of the low traffic areas will be completely covered in pigment.
IMG_3626 by Russel Baer, on Flickr
The wheels will also be in thick, opaque pigment dust. In the pics I have, the lower hull and running gear might as well have been painted gray.

5 Likes

It’s up to you of course, but I would quit now, otherwise the following actions will totally cover up what you have already done. Been there, done that!
Ken

2 Likes

Russ, if you’re at a point where you have to ask, then it’s definitely time to stop. It looks great now and you want to leave something to see under the dust.

1 Like

Like Ken and Matt said, I think you need to avoid hiding to much with to much dust.

however, this bad boy has really been through it all.

2 Likes

Wow that is one beat up tank.

1 Like

I’d say that’s extreme weathering; caked on dirt and dust. A weathering paradise for those so inclined.

1 Like

Theres a few different views of it, but its had a hard unloved live for sure

Actually all the vehicles in that picture are pretty much the same. No time for the wash rack let alone repairs I guess.

1 Like

A different wagon but you see a pattern emerging lol

Not much cam until you get to the turret… hull details (whats left of them) are still easily seen … just layered in dust …

2 Likes