Test to see if i can post a picture - mbt 70

Carlos,

I went rummaging around my stash and dragged out the respective kits (Dragon and Commander Models); if you do want to consider a scratch project here’s some comparison views (Dragon in light grey plastic):

To my mind there’d be quite a bit of work involved as there are more differences than you first think perhaps.

'Hope this is of some interest.

Brian

2 Likes

Brian, it’s definitely of interest. Thank you for the side by side photos for comparison. The engine deck area does indeed look simple enough in shape and details. It’s all the other myriad details that would bog me down I now see. But since both tanks were developmental prototypes, whose to say what features would have finally been incorporated into actual production models, had that come to pass? I can see the power packs, headlights, and smoke grenade launchers remaining as is for logistical reasons, but all the other fittings would potentially be open for development and adaptation by either side. After all, photos of the MBT-70 in testing show a rubber chevron style track similar to the T97 type. Arguably the T142 type could have been developed and fitted as well, alongside the remaining and still serving M60s and M48s.

I think modelling an MBT 70 in service could be fraught unless one really thinks things through (that said, as it’s really What-Iffery I suppose, arguably, it doesn’t matter what one does with it all).

I tried to make my first iteration at least plausible: I thought a mantlet cover would more or less have been essential, likewise the 40mm Grenade boxes on the rear of the turret stowage rack (for crew stowage). I haven’t thought too much about a next generation version ; I’ll probably go for UK-type grenade launchers on the turret frontal arc, and a US-type searchlight. Beyond that - apart from the possible Dual-Tex/MERDC paint scheme -I’m just not sure yet. I’ll probably continue with the mantlet cover, stowage boxes and perhaps some re-arrangement of the tools. I agree that different tracks would ring the changes nicely.

If you need further details about the Commander Models model or even the Dragon Kpz 70 I’ll do my best to help.

Brian, thanks for the offer of reference assistance. If this project does ever come to be, I’ll take you up on it!
On a related side note, I don’t know if you’re on Scalemates or not, but yesterday I stumbled upon this MBT 70 conversion “what if?” project, a M70A2. His engine deck work makes it look look quite feasible.

https://www.scalemates.com/profiles/mate.php?id=66321&p=albums&album=56124

That’s very impressive; whilst the engine deck conversion ie to a US type model is well depicted it omits the different shapes of the hulls forward of the turret; the German version almost tapers to a point whereas the US one maintains a constant line not least as there are some stowage boxes forward. That said, it’s an admirable project, but sadly well beyond my skill set!

I’ll keep an eye out for this as I’d love to see the finished version. Thnaks for the heads up.

I’m trying to post a photo from my phone. I don’t mean to hijack your thread. I’m just finding the new site hard to use and trying to experiment.
Take care and stay safe, Don “Lakota”

Wow, that was easy!

Don - well done you! I was pleasantly surprised at how relatively simple it was, although I was a tad nervous when I started this particular thread; after all, one doesn’t want to look inept in front of the whole wide world(!)

SSG Toms and Robin’s advice was much appreciated too.

It’s fair to say that the new site has vastly changed my modelling, especially in these plague-ridden times when there’s no modelling shows to attend. It hasn’t quite improved my build rate which is often far too slow but I’m working on that.

2 Likes

I’m happy someone is getting some build time in. I thought I would too but I’ve too busy at work. My “mid-life crises” a few years ago was to learn something new that would help my career. I picked Healthcare Emergency Management and have been very busy with the pandemic this year.
Take care and stay safe,
Don “Lakota”

You’ve obviously done lot of research and I was wondering if you knew the origin of this picture?

I found this and was wondering if it might have been from the original tank project…the bad casting on the back matches the old photo.

1 Like

Wow! Where did that come from?

Found it at an estate sale…even hasvgears undervthe turret to keep the one hatch facing forward.

Wow! What a find! This must be one and the same as the original photo - which I have only seen in the Hunnicutt book - and presumably it is indeed the same one. The original picture is freely available on the web but the Hunnicutt book (which I don’t have) was where I first saw it.

Interestingly, well, to me(!) it’s about the only picture/model that has the armoured cowling for the TV camera installed - on the glacis plate. I tired to replicate this on my model but may not have it quite right.

To their great credit Commander Models added this feature once I approached them; if you could see your way to taking another picture to cover this Joshua, that would be very useful. As you’re probably aware the one hatch facing forward was the Driver’s - with all the crew in the turret he was the one with a rotating capsule to keep him in the direction of travel at all times - which also turned out to be a drawback as when closed down it was reported that Drivers became disorientated and even travel-sick.

Always been a fan of this tank since way back when; I had hoped there might be a few more models shown on this site - whether the German iteration or the US version.

I imagine that this model was produced by the manufacturers - hell of a find!

Aurora models made a 1/48 MBT-70 kit back in the late 60’s or early 70’s. Atlantis Models now appears to have the Aurora 1/48 armor kits molds and are re issuing those old kits. I keep hoping that they will reissue the MBT-70. They did release the old Aurora 1/72 AH-56 Cheyenne recently, which had not been issued since the same era, so it is possible. I know that they are not modern standard kits, but as the saying goes, you wish in one hand and crap in the other to see which fills up first…

I remember it well and had one for years but binned it when I discovered the Commander Models version. It wasn’t a brilliant model by any means although had the rather endearing gimmick of a “workable” suspension which depended on the flexibility of a piece of plastic in the hull. It was however, the only model of this tank for may decades.

I’ll take a couple more pics when I get home. It’s not metal because it’s not magnetic. I haven’t scratched the bottom yet to check it out.

Brilliant! Many thanks. You’ve certainly got yourself an interesting artefact there.

Lol… yeah that’s what I thought when I took a photo and it went directly into the post. Say what you want but this forum software is fooking cool. :smiley: