Testors Italeri 1/35 M47 Patton WIP

One more update- I finished adding the cast armor texture a bit more rapidly than I thought that I would using Mr Surfacer and a Microbrush.

and a couple close ups

it should look good under a coat of paint…

This will be my last update on this until next week. Have plans for the weekend, so I won’t get any bench time.

9 Likes

Very nice build taking place Stick, very informative too.

Looking good. It’s inspired me to tackle this one someday:

6 Likes

Range wreck lol?

@Grouser & @18bravo, thanks you gentlemen. This one has been an enlightening project so far.

1 Like

that would make an interesting M47 alternative build, but don’t under estimate the amount of work, painting and scratchbuilding.

but all the work is very rewarding.

Thanks. I’ll be sure to keep that in mind.

1 Like

The range target hulk build sounds like a great project. You can really go to town on the weathering and damage.

1 Like

And now back to our regularly scheduled build programming…

Well, the back dating of the kit is now complete. I added the wire cage style brush guards to the commander’s and gunner’s periscopes, modified the sledge to reverse its positioning, and then added the hatch handles, rangefinder housing lifting eyes, and rear turret stowage bin.

All I need to do now is add the mantlet dust cover and armor foundry casting marks

7 Likes

Get on with it man. I want to see some paint on this baby. :grin: :grin:

You and me both! Why can’t I build just OOB?! :thinking:

1 Like

Now where is the fun in that?

Are you sure your M47 crew wants gasoline cans hanging off their stowage bin? Right above the engine and exhaust? I know that with the similarly designed M41 only water cans were allowed in that position.
Just asking.

Yeah, what in the heck were THESE guys thinking?

Or these guys?

I must just say that the “drums” on the T-34 picture are in fact smoke ejection canisters so not being fuel are not really hazardous (unless I’ve msised the point - not unknown) but the jerricans on the M47 turret were in their prescribed place; I always assumed though that they were water?

1 Like

Yes those are smoke canisters on the rear but the fuel tanks on the sides are a very familiar site on almost every T-34 no ?

Well yeah - but they’re some distance from the exhausts which I think was the argument - although as I say - I may have missed the point(!)

Yes that’s true but they are next to the engine. Anyone ever read about combat accounts of these fuel drums getting blown up and the after effects ? If they’re hit with small arms fire don’t they start leaking all over? Doesn’t seem to be an issue with the later Soviet tanks that had the fuel cells on the fenders…

The cans on turret sides are standard for M41, M47, & M48s, although I too wonder if they were fuel or water. The two types of can had different lids, but I don’t know how strictly that was adhered to, so what appears to be a fuel can might indeed be water. Of course the advent of diesel fuel in US tanks makes it less of a fire hazard…

Loving the progress Carlos!
If you need I think I have some water cans in my spares I could dig out and send.