That's not a big plane, *this* is a big plane

Group Build Title: That’s not a big plane, this is a big plane

Group Build Leader(s): @phil2015

Group Build Description: In the twin-engined bomber campaign thread, there was an interest in doing 4 engine planes. So, how about a big plane campaign? Not sure how to flesh it out, but looking for planes with 4 (or more) engines. I’m thinking it could be bombers, big transports, anything that really is a big plane. What do people think?

Completion Award: hopefully Peter likes big planes

I’m happy to run this, but I don’t plan to participate. If someone who is going to participate would like to run it, I’m happy to let him or her. I gave it 12 months for those really big planes…

2 Likes

The joy of entering events…

Aha! Delete the front bit that says event, then enter the event and it works fine.

At the monster end of the scale; 1/72 B-36 (10), B-52 (8), XB-70 (6), B-47 (6), B-17, B-24, B-29, PB4Y-1 & -2, C-130, DC-6, Constellation, B-58, P2V-7, XB-49 (all 4s). At the less monster end, in 1/144 or thereabouts, B-52, C-97, C-54, C-121, Boeing 707, Boeing SST. Enough subjects, do I have enough space to build them? :wave:

1 Like

Im in, I got a 1/72 B-36…

1 Like

If we’re starting next year, I might be interested.
I’ve got a couple I’ve sat on for quite a while I need an incentive to actually start!

I’m planning on ordering the 1/72 Airfix Vickers Wellington for the twin engine bomber campaign.

Was really hoping to also get a 1/72 Airfix B-17 for this campaign but can’t find it in stock. In lieu I may pick up a 1/72 Lancaster or a an Avro Shackleton

Why? Why would you do this? WHY?!

Michael :sob: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I would love to do these but no where to display/store a 1/32 B-17 even a 1/48 would be a stretch

1 Like

I’ve seen people hang a tennis ball from the ceiling of their garage so they’ll know where to stop when pulling in. Perhaps you could hang one of these from your garage ceiling for a similar purpose? Think of the novelty of it!

1 Like

I have the ‘G’ plus the Hobbyboss B-24. I’m not ready for this one just yet. Maybe if it doesn’t start until after January…

Great idea! I can even paint my roof to look like an airstrip somewhere in the English country side

Ideally I rig up a mechanism so as I pull in the B-17 slowly lowers so it just touches down on my roof when i am in the correct spot of the garage

1 Like

Please add it to your build log…

1 Like

Quick look in the stash revealed a couple of Academy B-17’s and the new Airfix Fortress III.
Lancasters from Matchbox, Revell and the Airfix B.II.
A couple of Halifax’s.
Three B-24’s, 2 Minicraft and a Revell.
And Italeri’s XB-35.
Definitely need to pull my finger out and actually build one of these.

Somewhere I’ve also got Revells Iron Maiden 747. Might be a fun build and something very different!

Edit: Flight 666 still remains unaccounted, but I have just spotted a Shackleton, Valiant and 2 Victors I had completely forgotten about. How I forget kits in boxes that big I shall never know!

1 Like

I am in for this one. Plenty of kits in the stash with four engines!

1 Like

Im in. Plenty to choose from in the stash, and maybe a good opportunity to buy more stuff …

I’m totally in, and initially thought B-17G (go Michael go!!) and rethought things. My youngest niece finds this hobby a bit fun, and she’s really good at closing long seams. So, third time will be a charm doing Monogram’s B-29. And yes, this is a big plane!

1 Like

Another thought would be for you to do the B-17 and give you niece the B-29 to enter? :innocent:

Regardless, I’m looking forward to it. This will be a fun campaign to watch.

1 Like

Looks like enough people are interested. Giving it a nudge for people to take a look at again…

Well I have in 1/144 He-111Z (5 engines), Fw-200 (4 engines), B-36 (10 engines), B-52 (8 engines) and a B-47 (6 engines).
I’ll have to see how things go as I have a few builds planned for 2023 already.

I like to build them BIG. 1/35th and 1/32. I will figure out how to display them later!

2 Likes