The Birth of a Panther or what did you do today

Starting work on it while finishing up the FGA -9 Project

11 Likes

One of my favourite Panther G kits to do. Goes together so nicely and no issues. Look forward to this getting built up.

3 Likes

Thank You. Me too. Most Tamiya kits do go together pretty easily. Which is why I like them so much.

3 Likes

This was the first kit I built after a modelling hiatus which lasted over a decade.

I don’t remmeber much about it (1995) other than I had grand plans for a diorama and bought an Opel Blitz + Verlinden field workshop conversion to accompany it.

Actually, it went okay, although it was 100% OOB, it wasn’t too bad an effort and I even managed the Ambush Camouflage Scheme with reasonable accuracy.

Did build the Blitz, but by the time i’d finished that, i’d been looking at the Panther every time I passed it and fell further and further out of love with it each time - by the time I got posted back to UK to do the Army Pilot’s Course, I was thouroughly disenchanted with the whole idea of the project and i’m fairly sure it went in the skip outside.

Still, it was a good kit I seem to remember and I definately remember enjoying it.

2 Likes

Thank you for your input. I’m anxious to get it completed so it can join up with it’s fellow armor pieces that I completed last year, a Panther A model an M-41, an M-48 and the Recently finished M-60A3. which of course control the area surrounding my work area. LOL

5 Likes

Am I getting carried away? I like playing era music when I m Building something or if not it’s jazz or just something to have playing softly in the background

3 Likes

I usually listen to Metallica or Judas Priest when I’m building a kit.

But in your case; i think the song “Ghost Division” from Sabaton would be a better fit.

2 Likes

Okay that was interesting. But I would prefer Really Slow Motion…You Shall be This Legend. OR Dean Valentine…Now I take everything From you.

1 Like

So I had an issue with the panther lower hull. Broken rocker arm and out of wack road wheels

So I stopped what I was doing. Got some sleep. This morning I managed to salvage the lower hull, by removing the rocker arm( WD-40 application) washed the hull in. Hot soapy water afterwards, so Now I will reorder the parts to replace the rocker arm and start over with the road wheels. Still trying to get the one set to come apart though. I don’t know. Maybe that’s a useless effort since I still have to order a new rocker arm. Unless someone Here has a spare one laying around. Kit # 35176.

4 Likes

So there’s good news about the panther problems. Broken rocker arm and damaged road wheels. I contacted Tamiya USA and was able to order the replacement parts. BUT I had to email them concerning the problem as apparently no one is currently manning the phone’s in the customer service dept. I Hope to have the parts with in the coming week. Maybe 2. So far I’m making pretty good progress with it otherwise.

1 Like

You can always check eBay for the separate parts tree.

Tamiya 1/35 Scale Panther G Early - Parts Tree A from Kit No. 35170 4950344996162 | eBay

This one is from the G Early, so i dont know how different the roadwheels and arm are to the G Late.

2 Likes

Thanks. But i should be getting the parts from Tamiya Next Week ? at no cost. As I was able to contact them yesterday. And they are sending me the parts I need.

2 Likes

I added some screen material to the areas in the pictures…any thoughts?

2 Likes

Sweet Panther build, following!

I’ve heard of folks listening to Das Panzer Lied , The Horst Wessel Song, Erika and some other era specific songs when marathon building German stuff etc.

Marching music isn’t for me. However, works like Mozart’s “Eine kleine Nachtmusik” and Beethoven’s glorious 9th symphony can inspire some folks to the ‘next level’ of workmanship.

2 Likes

I loved this kit; it was such a change from my usual (often complex) Cold War builds. It ended up in post-war French colours so was indeed a Cold War build in the end, but I greatly enjoyed the relative simplicity and ease of build. Hats off to Tamiya, as always.

Just to show off - again (forgive me):

Anyway, 'look very forward to seeing what you do with it!

3 Likes

And now the covers are mounted over the black screen material which looks better than just an empty hole underneath

4 Likes

Outstanding progress :clap:
Looking great! :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks it’s getting there Hopefully by the end of this week I will have it mostly finished.

2 Likes

I’m currently building the Tamiya Panther D. I experienced similar problems with broken rocker arms. Tamiya USA was great in that they replaced any parts I needed at no cost. I swear by Tamiya; they always offer pleasurable kits to build.

Bill

2 Likes

This is the little turd I’ve been working on. Still a lot of clean up to do. Ugggggh.

2 Likes