The death of Scratch-building

I’ve read through this again and still think it’s gatekeeping drivel aimed at invalidating everyone who enjoys the enhancements to our hobby now available. I love PE and 3D printing.

I’d have a miserable time trying to match 3D printed studded anchor cable or these exquisite gun mounts in 1/350

I’ve done plenty scratch building from nothing including making my own drawings

I still scratch build stuff when it’s the best way to achieve the final result I want. 3D printing is currently the best way to get really good detail for certain things on models. The best way to get a 16ft sailing dinghy I like the look of and fitted out the way I want it is to build it myself, again out of nothing.

Scratch building does not imply superiority. It just implies you’ve spent more time getting your end result.

16 Likes

That is a really cool looking Me 262 …

:grin::grin: … Of course I’m kidding. That is some serious scratch building there, apart from insanely huge, what scale is it ? And done as an RC one or static ?

I’m also very impressed with the scratch built XJS … Nice :+1::+1:

5 Likes

It’s not totally dead, I still scratch build when I can

1 Like

Well once again; if i am scratch building it is for one of the following reasons: #1. to make something that is not otherwise available. #2. to make something I can’t or won’t pay the price for that is otherwise available in resin. #3. to add missing detail.

5 Likes

I completely understand your feelings on this. But I like to think that thier are still enough of us out Here that prefer to scratch build. Maybe not as many as their should be. But I don’t think it’s completely dead. Just my opinion.

1 Like

No certainly not dead - just check out the “Scratch Built & Conversions” thread over in the Armor section.

1 Like

Wow, well, this has been an epic and entertaining read. Here’s my (long) take:

I’ve been a professional model maker for my entire nearly 40-year career. I got a degree in Industrial Design in 1986, knowing I’d be a model maker, not an actual product designer. I’ve been a scratch builder for all of that time, building countless product models from scratch. I’ve been working with 3D parts -SLA - since 1995, when it took 30 hours to print a half a cubic foot sized model. My clients all pivoted to that over the following 10 years and my shop literally turned into auto-body work. Clients would hand me their 3D stuff and ask me to finish (ie fill and paint) it. I finally told them to find someone else as even then I could tell it was going to drastically shorten my life.

I’ve used laser-cutting since 1987, early in my professional career, for architectural work, and still do, and own an amazing professional Universal VLS 3.50. Is it scratchbuilding? I think so. It’s just a cutting and engraving tool, no more.

I tried to pivot to 3D back in the mid 2000s. Took three semesters of Solidworks, passed with flying colors. But never really mastered it, and don’t care, as I’m still a 2D CAD guy. I’m happy with that; and can find a dozen hungry 3D designers if I really need them.

I’ve been a hobbyist since 1969 when I was 6 (early in my career, when he was still around, my dad used to call it my “motorman’s holiday” - all day I’d build models and then I’d come home, and… build models…).
I am literally tired of having to scratchbuild stuff. I don’t have the time any more. Tempus Fugit and all that. When people ask me what I want for Christmas or my birthday the only answer they ever get is “time”. I rarely get it :wink:

As for the aftermarket phenomenon, I don’t see what the real gripe is. Who doesn’t want to “pimp their ride” as it were? That’s why I buy AM - because to me it’s cool. In some cases it’s also necessary. My favorite AM is metal barrels and tracks; I also like photo-etch but as well do not like it when it’s unnecessary. I also truly dislike poorly done and way-too-thin PE (here’s looking at you, large Czech ‘E’ company). I enjoy the new Quinta stuff but that bloom is also fading - some of their components are comically tall - like putting a tuna tin on a dashboard.

Contests - nope. I don’t need a bunch of knuckleheads judging my work. I’m my own worst critic, thank you. More power to those that enjoy them, they’re just not for me. I’m pretty much a solo flyer anyway….

Anyway, like many have said, you do you and I’ll do me. For me, it’s all about TIME. I’ll never have enough of it.

James ‘Jimbo’ Harr
High Bridge, NJ
www.jamesharrmodelmaker.com

15 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:+1:

1 Like

Is Scratch Building dead/?

I would think not as the new “Scratch Built & Conversions” thread was started on Dec 22 of last year and has just now surpassed 15,000 views in just over five weeks!

2 Likes

Half of those were mine. I keep the thread open all day and tend to go back and forth a lot.

—mike :grin:

4 Likes

And the other half were probably mine!

2 Likes

I think it’s an outstanding thread because if mid project someone scratches something up the thread is a great place to share with an interested audience.

3 Likes

I miss the Polly-S paints too. Used them in combination with enamals to create some nice fade effects

1 Like

I generally avoid these arguments over what was once and is no longer or how things were better in the past. I won’t really get into that argument because I also believe this is a hobby about enjoying what you do, not necessarily about how it pleases others. That is a plausible part of the hobby and I do not deny anyone the desire to pursue it in that fashion.

This may have already been said somewhere in this very long thread, but scratchbuilding is a natural extension of the times it started when there were no kits. So naturally, there will be people who got good at it. But the number of people enjoying the hobby was probably far smaller. Later kits came along, and a new generation of builders took over, perfecting the kits they built. A new skill set and requiring new techniques, equally as valid as the original scratchbuilders.

Now we have wonder kits and huge variety of choices. So more modelers can enjoy the hobby and add their own unique skills to general knowledge. There can be no doubt in my mind that weathering finishes today are a vast improvement over what we used to consider as acceptable. Certainly some of this was developed by older experience modelers, but it also came about because more people were able to participate in the hobby. So weathering skills of some younger modelers who are exceptional at their work, makes them the “scratchbuilders” of their time.

The same can be said of resin casting aftermarket parts from handbuilt masters and later 3-D AM from CAD files. New blood, new techniques, and we all grow richer from this.

6 Likes

Now that’s an old skool scratch build!

8 Likes

Scratch build not dead here, if a kit exists for a subject I am happy to build it but no kit exists for these so scratch build or give up
LCG(L)4
LCT 2
LCT 4
I know plenty of modellers who love to build kits and few who scratch build because they are prepared to do the research that the kit company normally does. Kit builders don’t lack skill but motivation. Scratch build will always be a minority building unusual models. Long may it continue. Oh, and btw, the LCT 2 is all 3D printed from my design, no less scratch built in my eyes than the LCT4 which is all hand built

12 Likes

Agreed!

1 Like

Old school scratchbuilding and conversion skills are still very much alive. Not something I often do myself, but I know the basics if I need to. The simple fact that almost every aircraft, afv or ship I’d be interested in building is available in plastic is the reason why I don’t! I mostly limit myself to SF subjects when I do these days. The only limit is my imagination.
Which leads me to the second point: the health of the hobby. I don’t think it’s ever been stronger. Look at the sheer number of new kits and manufacturers making all sorts of exciting stuff.
Until a few years back, if you wanted a Lanchester or Romfelwagen armoured car, you had no choice but to research, draw up plans and cut plastic. And then along comes Copper State Models.

6 Likes

Yes plastic card glue and fantasy. ever.

40 years ago, if PE and 3D printing were available, would the scratch builders use them? Heck yes. The reason scratch building was a thing was nothing else was available.

7 Likes