The last of us! 1/35 Heavy armor

Hi guys, I have fallen in a period where I want to paint and build one or two medieval vignettes.
I have ordered a couple of 3D printed figures from the Swedish company Speira.
One of the vignettes is called The last of us. The name refers to the survivors of the battle.
Printed figures has good and bad sides.

Good: A lot of unique poses and you don’t need to put the figures together.

Bad: There are a lot of visible print layers, it takes time to sand them down and maybe they are in places impossible to sand. Details are often very thick, extremely thick compared to the scale.
It works ok in 1/72, but in 1/35 that I do know it’s not good.
Since the figures are complete they are sometimes tricky to paint, especially the heads/faces.
It would have been great if the heads had been separated.
Due to the thickness on a lot of details you will never win a competition with printed figures, unless you do a lot of modifications.
Although I find it nice to work with these figures because of the special poses I have chosen.

The scene is a fictional medieval aftermath battle scene. The guys that won the battle will have white and blue clothes, and the other ones black and yellow.
So far I have modified some figures and primed all of them, I have started to paint some of the figures.

Here are some pictures:

14 Likes

Glad to see you back Erik.
This is amazing, brilliant idea and layout, it’s balanced just right to my eye.
The guy with the sliced head is genius…
Yes it’s very gory, but this is exactly how medieval battles and hand to hand combat played out.
Can’t wait to see more paint go down.

Not sure about it being in AFV/Armour though (although what’s a knight without his armour?:grin:)

Going back to look at it all again to see the ton of stuff I know I missed !!

Great start and great skill :+1::+1:

2 Likes

Wow- what a piece you’ve got on the go there Erik!

1 Like

That is awesome. :+1:

1 Like

Thanks guys!
Well, let us see this thread as a historical AFV one.
I mean, the knights and cavalry was the AFV of that time.
Here are two pictures that show the print layers I wrote about. Nasty issue, don’t know it it depends on the quality of the printer that is used?
In 1/72 scale this is not a problem, no layers are visible in 1/72.
/Erik

4 Likes

I don’t know what it is, but I admit that I am fascinated of the medieval era!

4 Likes

Excellent details and custom figure poses :+1:t3:

Yeah that wood grain on the horse may be a challenge

1 Like

Kind of graphic…I LOVE IT!! I also have some medievals from Speira, in 1/43. Haven’t noticed any print layers. I better look more closely again.
I notice that Speira print from several different designers. Maybe quality depends on the definition used by the individual designer.
:smiley: :canada:

1 Like

Thanks guys!
I have painted some more of the figures and the horse are almost done. Details not finished on the figures.
Cheers

5 Likes

Is that plastic chair what they call an Easter egg?

4 Likes

You’re right :grinning: I wanted to see if anyone noticed it. He will grab a shield of course.
Cheers man :grin:

2 Likes

That’s a good one Erik :laughing:!

1 Like

I don’t miss much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Would be funny if you left the chair in. Looks great either way.

1 Like

That chair would twist the whole diorama into a reenactment event where the reenactors got too enthusiastic and went too far.
:grin:

2 Likes

Or a scene from Timeline by Michael Crichton.

2 Likes

My son, who has more experience than I in 3D printing (I have none), tells me that filament based prints leave noticeable layering. With resin printers the layering, so long as you program the unit properly, is greatly reduced. Doesn’t help with all the sanding, but possibly explains what’s going on.

Hard call on the chair…

1 Like

It takes the movie chair in a fight cliche to a new level…

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Fun fact: Not only did I notice the chair - i have the exact same one. You need a chair to sit at the table, right?

1 Like

Erik, I can’t stop LMAO!!!
:rofl::rofl::rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

—mike

1 Like