The Longest Day 1/35 R.N. Beachmaster

I finished this one up at the beginning of this week and now have some halfway decent photos. I built this for the “I’m a Movie Star” Campaign here. It is a vignette by Scale Model Accessories in 1/35 resin from the movie The Longest Day of the Sword Beach Royal Navy Beachmaster, Capt. Colin Maud, played by actor Kenneth More… and his bulldog Winston.
I tried a technique using highly thinned layers on Vallejo acrylics to paint him, that was for more time consuming than I thought that it would be. It worked well on the uniform, but not as well on the flesh areas. I still have a long ways to go with my figure painting techniques…

“the sooner that you get off of this beach, the sooner that they’ll stop the blasted shelling! It’s very bad for the dog!”

19 Likes

Looks really fantastic Carlos. Excellent shading and highlights. Better than I could do!

2 Likes

Yes,that black and white method worked nicely

1 Like

Looks very good …part of a great film …

2 Likes

Thanks guys.

@Tojo72, Tony, the method does work great for a single color type uniform. It was just more time consuming in my experience than a simple base color, followed by a wash & dry brushing. I sure didn’t get the look rapidly like Nightshade did in his YouTube video.

@Johnnych01, yes the figure is indeed a memorable one from a classic film. Now if I can ever find that mounted Verlinden one that looks like Gert Froebe as he brings breakfast to the beach gunners daily…

@SSGToms, I feel that I fell short in the facial work on such a fine figure. I need to find a technique that works for me in that respect. But otherwise I’m content with my end result here.

2 Likes

Great figure. Great subject… you’re running a great streak

2 Likes

Thank you Robert. You are far too kind.

2 Likes

Carlos, if it’s this one it’s available from Italy via eBay:

Lunchbox German IN Horse V1291 Verlinden Production Scale 1:3 5 | eBay

2 Likes

I should have been a little more thorough - there’s another one in Florida apparently:

VERLINDEN 1:35 WWII GERMAN MOUNTED FOOD CARRIER ON HORSE 2 FIGURES 1291 NIB | eBay

1 Like

Brian, that’s the one…

Let’s just say I’m looking for a more frugal price…

1 Like

Go on get it; you only live once!

1 Like

A friend of mine with professional skills & software, cleaned up one of my photos better…

3 Likes

Looks spot on, a really nice little scene.

Hope he’s got a poo bag in his pocket, that dog looks high maintenance…:astonished::wink:

1 Like

Fine work, Stik, this looks great. Yes, I agree, constant layering is a royal bugger, which is exactly why I’m an oiler. Blending is so much more fun than layering, any day of the week.

Ruck On, Bby!

2 Likes

I remember him…

5 Likes

Nice work.

Interesting little,tidbit. Acting Captain Maud was actually a Commander but was made up to Captain solely for the landings.

He indeed was accompanied by his dog, a German Shepherd named Winnie, not a Bulldog named Winston. I guess the director wanted a more patriotic breed rather than the enemy?

1 Like

Thank you. Yes, I read up a bit about Maud before kicking off this project. Quite a man indeed! As Cornelius Ryan wrote in his book The Longest Day, his dog was an Alsatian, aka German Shepherd, but I don’t recall any name being mentioned there. When the movie was made, since Major Pluskat already had a German Shepherd, Haras, it was decided to give Maud a Bulldog instead to keep from any audience confusion. Remember Haras wisely leaves Pluskat’s beach front observation bunker at first light just before the naval bombardment starts.

3 Likes