The Next Generation M1 Abrams MBT GDLS Teaser

Interesting. Could the ‘reduced crew-size’ and the additional hatch on the hull mean that the new design incorporates a crewless turret?

There does not appear to be any hatches on the turret.

The article states the turret is unmanned, might explain the lack of hatches, though thought you’d still maybe want some for maintenance

Oops, missed that. Indeed.

I did not read the article just looked at the pics. Humm, there was a magazine I recall as a much younger man that I did the same thing. :grin: :grin:

I’m sure with that one you were also fixated on the all the access hatches :face_with_monocle:
:rofl:

Was that National Geographic? Or Popular Mechanics? :upside_down_face:
:grin: :canada:

1 Like

I’m a bit disappointed…either they didn’t put much imagination or research in a new design, or that’s just a Red Herring for the real thing. :thinking:
:grin: :canada:

Oh, good one !

The (exhaust?) slats on the back of thing remind of the nose of a 60’s Pontiac Le Mans…

I would be interested in a model kit of this, prototype or not! :grinning:

I wonder what else the turret can do and if it contains any drones or Loitering Munitions inside.

As for the rear of the turret, I wonder if that is a huge Blow Out panel or a huge access hatch.

I am somewhat worried about the hull crew hatches. One has to check to see if there is any turret overhang to prevent crew egress. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t the current M1 generations require the turret to be zero degrees facing forward to open the driver’s hatch for the driver to crawl out? Any 90 or 180-degree overhang of the turret prevents this. I think that is why the M1 Next Generation has such cuts underneath the unmanned turret to allow the crew to escape no matter which way the main gun is pointed. But is the only way to escape those three hull hatches?

I also don’t really see any shallow V-Hull on the bottom, but it’s hard to tell from the photos. Maybe the Anti-IED jammers would negate the requirement for this, or maybe it’s a bolt-on option.

The Learning Channel’s Future Main Battle Tank has a concept that did this with the crew in the hull. Decades later it became a working reality.

I think someone posted here saying that this mockup was just plywood (a prop) over an engine and transmission, meaning nothing really worked except that it can drive around. No idea what happened to this concept. It dates back to the 1990s. You can see how old it is by the shape of the tracks’ rubber blocks.

With an unmanned turret, technically, one can add a 140mm gun in the future if so required and desired.

what I’ve learned from the guys at work:

*The goal was to double the range per fuel tank. Right now they are thinking 40% greater range.

• asked about an auto loader and nobody seems to know for sure

• power pack is 100% new, and is a hybrid electric drive

• built from the get go to be crewless (if needed)

*These photos are pre - prototype. In the end there are still mods to be added before the “IP” version goes into production

• there is some kind of an anti drone and anti rocket defense system built into it.

• the only noise it produces is from the tracks hitting the ground. How fast it goes across country is closely guarded, but some say about the same as before

• the old power pack can be used in a pinch, but not unless they are in dire need
    gary

1 Like

Very good video on all four of GDLS’s prototypes at AUSA 2022 with the GDLS spokesperson explaining some features on all four AFVs.

1 Like

I’m really liking the TREX breacher vehicle thing…

3 Likes

the one unique thing about this tank is that it’s an electric drive, and as of two weeks ago they had just started machining the prototype drives in the tool room. I wonder what they used to power it? I’ve seen photos of the transmission, and for sure it’s set up to use an engine in front of it. That’s why I said hybrid drive. Layout is similar to the X1100-B3 in current service, but much different. Final drives have always been a machining nightmare (we don’t make them anymore), but there are at least one prototype on the shelf to replace them. They weigh much less, and are far cheaper to build. I’d almost expect them to use these.

Building this power pack will take a rock solid year and a half to retool, and maybe even two years. So that will be interesting in itself. Same could be said of the turret, although easier due to less parts and similar in some ways. I think it’s a 2025 tank at best
gary

2 Likes

@Gary_Totty Isn’t the U.S. Army placing emphasis on the Bradley Replacement (OMFV) first before the M1 Replacement?

Tanks have always been “king” of the armored food chain and top of the budget pecking order, but I would assume that the Bradley Replacement OMFV would be the AFV that is most likely to be the next U.S. Army acquisition besides the AMPV and MPF.

The Bradley and the M1 are built in two different plants right now. The M1 design is way ahead of the game when tooling up, as the hull is similar to what’s in use right now. The Bradley replacement will be 100% new as I’ve been told. You may see a couple new players in the mix (Ford and CAT). I don’t see it going back thru the old channel right away. Not be surprised if it’s built in the Warren Michigan tank plant, as it being empty right now

TACOM never was happy with the Bradley from the start. It was plagued with issues from day one. A lot of redesigning was done to it. I honestly can’t remember who the other bidders were for the design. GE got it and right away tanked (pun). Power packs were a very weak design, and at one time TACOM looked for another supplier. White House politics kept it with GE, and if you follow that trail you’ll soon see who was rewarded for building junk. BAE took the project over, but never improved on it much. I don’t see them as a major player here. The old Cadillac tank plant is gone if I remember right, and Lima hasn’t the room. CAT, GM, and Ford are the only folks with the room. I’m betting on Warren Michigan. The new IFV will be robotic as well as conventional. Kinda takes out FMC, as they’ve never delt in anything like that. CAT has! Now if it goes to Michigan; the question is who will run the project? Who will join the bidding war is another big if. Your gonna make roughly 18% profit if you know how to cook the books (much more, and they’ll catch you). If you don’t then your gonna make about 11% REIT. Dismal in today’s non military markets, but your not going to loose money. If Ford, GM, and CAT do it on their own (no Dragon Lady), the cost will be much lower than with TACOM running the show (it’s all a dog & pony show). I just can’t see GDLS getting the contract, but who knows. They’ve actually done better than expected, but will take a different building to do it, and as I said there is at least one not being used
gary

we already need a kit!
gary

picked up another bit of info yesterday. That maybe a joint project with Allison and Rhinemetal, as there is something in the works
gary

1 Like