The T-34 in 1/35th

I have this idea about doing a series of models of the T-34 from the earliest that saw combat to the last that saw combat. First, stopping at the end of WW2, but maybe continuing after that…

Is this possible in 1/35th? I know that Dragon makes a bunch of versions, but I tried making one that I bailed on because of hull fit issues, and I think I read on a modeling forum that they got the front hatch in the wrong position, but perhaps that’s an urban legend. So maybe another question is whether it can be done without Dragon models. It seems there are a fair few T-34/85s available, but i’m not so sure about the /76s…

3 Likes

Don’t forget the 57mm version.
T-34-57 : 14 T-34s were fitted with the 57-mm ZiS-4 (1941, 10 tanks) or the ZIS-4M (1943/44, 4 tanks) high-velocity 57 mm gun to be used as tank destroyers.

3 Likes

And the various SPG variants.

3 Likes

And the numerous German versions on captured hulls

And what looks to be either a Munitionspanzer T-34(r) OR a Bergepanzer T-34(r)

1 Like

The problem with the T-34 is that not only it evolved over the time, also there are differences between factories. And often big differences, indeed.
So if you want to build all variants, I guess you will need all Dragon models and probably a few more (or conversions). If you prefer to pick only a few, then it’s up to you to choose which ones.

2 Likes

Excellent points on plants, almost like a Sherman tank with differences. The 76 versions especially early have to be Dragon as they only the offer kits. AFV club, Academy, Zvezda, Tamiya can get you other 76 versions. Once you get to the 85’s again different version especially turret. RFM, Miniart, Academy plus a host of others.

1 Like

I agree with the previous statements. Trying to cover all variants of the T-34 tank is the highest task among a number of tasks: covering all variants according to the following list: Panzer 38(t), PzKpfw I - IV, M4 Sherman, T-54/55. As information for making a decision, here are links to two parts (part 1 , part 2 ) of a brief listing of all modifications of the T-34, excluding captured and post-war vehicles. The material does not pretend to be completely accurate and complete, but it clearly shows the enormous amount of work.
A list of most sets can be found here: Timeline for T-34/76, AFV Club AF35143 (2010) - Timeline
Personally, I cannot make even two similar models at the same time or in a row. It’s personal. But I would like you not to limit yourself to one tank (although, as a Russian, I am pleased with your choice), but to be more diverse in the choice of modeling objects.

3 Likes

vnULuEs8ywLn1hmsR1foQW8--_SVe2OqAhtAlZt1vgY

Firstly,I’d like to share some interesting t
-34 modified versions that probably will help you to collect.
Secondly,I believe only dragon has very early t-34s such as prototype or 76 ones from different factories(112 etc.). Late productions you may take use of Miniart’s kits which covers a lot of specified models.
Furthermore, about German captured conversions. Academy kits will be a good choice.
Lastly, t-34 has a series of additionally armed one, you may have tries to orange hobby’s or Tamiya kits.

3 Likes

North Korea used the T-34/85 in the Korean War as well as North Vietnam in the Vietnam conflict. I have built a couple of WW2 T-34’s from dragon and I don’t recall any fit issues.

2 Likes

North Vietnam version. Egypt also used them during the 6 day war. Best of luck, sounds like a great project.

1 Like

Sounds like a cool but very ambitious project.

If you don’t have a copy of T-34 Mythical Weapon, I suggest seeing if your local library can acquire this book for you to look over for a few weeks.

download (10)

It gets into a lot of T-34 details by factory etc that could be extremely useful for such a project.

4 Likes

I have it. I scored a great deal on a couple of Zvezda T-34s which started me thinking about this.

2 Likes

Sprue Brother’s - Border Models T-34E on Lightning Deal :cloud_with_lightning:

FWIW - Donated mine to an IPMS’s contest raffle.

2 Likes

Maquette even offered a version many years ago with a turret that no one else did. That may not be true now. They were a little rough - some sinkholes on top of the hull, but nothing major.
I grabbed up quite a few for $5 a pop - I guess the talking heads talked folks right out of buying them. The indivivual plastic track links alone made it worth that much.

2 Likes

Maquette, they had a good variety of custom parts for building T-34’s. I didn’t think much of Maquette quality in the 1990’s with the sink marks as you mentioned etc but they were better than nothing, especially with the variety of parts. Definitely helped breathe variety into building T-34’s.

Plus Maquette offered a “Rudy” from Four_Tank-Men_and_a_Dog.

2 Likes

You donated it because it wasn’t a great kit, or just not interested in the subject?

1 Like

Opinions will vary, but I find the Maquette kits are a fine basis for some of the conversions you might be considering. I may have tweaked a few areas.

4 Likes

I found kit the less interesting as I learned more about it. Developed the impression Border Model’s research was pretty slip-shod on this kit.

tried-to-improve-the-border-models-t-34-with-spaced-armor

3 Likes

Maquette is a little rough, but usable. Definitely not for the beginning modeler. I bought their MQ-3506 T-34 V-2 Engine & Transmission Set to lash to the engine deck of an early T-34/76 as seen in many photographs. It’s a little crude but with some Evergreen and lead wire it will look great.

3 Likes

Pics!