The T26 Sterling

just in case y’all haven’t seen this already

4 Likes

If someone on this site scratch builds it, a manufacturer will make it. Just watch

4 Likes

Want in 35th! Thanks

1 Like

Pretty sure @Stickframe could knock one out in a few day easy.

5 Likes

That vehicle came up in the Wish List for 2024 discussion. If it ever hauled something like a T30 or M103, that would make a fun combo to model.

The same guy who led the T26 project worked on the Twister. That was one of the coolest vehicles ever built.

Still do not understand what the US Army had against doors on support vehicles. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: At least the T26 had a roof.

Would be fun to own a Hunnicutt style book covering US tank transporters. Maybe I already own one. My library far exceeds my memory capacity. :upside_down_face:

My favorite quote from the video was, “a design that never saw the light of day”. He says that while showing the prototype running around doing stuff.

1 Like

Soft tops could be taken down and windshields were folded down to get a low profile.
This was a tactical consideration to make the vehicles easier to hide.

Doors and roof

1 Like

A beautifully illustrated book exists on the subject of the Sterling:
By author Tony Gibbs.

Tony Gibbs

Mr. Gibbs is a retired Design Engineer living in the UK who possesses EXTREME CAD skills. He has fully reconstructed the vehicle digitally for his hard cover book and I might add for any hobby manufacture willing to take on this project!

GearTower
BogieChainDrive

So many items from the Tamiya Dragon Wagon would be easily adaptable to model this vehicle. (Just as on the real vehicle.) Wheels, Tires, Rear Boggy, Fifth Wheel, Recovery A-frame Boom, Winches, etc.

And of course I was thinking of using the cab from the High Speed Tractor as
a starting point for the STERLING.

3 Likes

2 Likes

After finishing my Mack NO I went so far as to start the beginnings of the Sterling. The front drive boggy has a slightly shorter wheel base than the rear. (For ease of steering - Ha!)

Again as you can see there are so many parts of the Dragon Wagon that
are adaptable to building the Sterling.

2 Likes

And those massive Trailers!

T28(95)

T67 trailer

The T67 articulated trailer as seen above.

2 Likes

The Sterling towing the M23 8 ton ammo trailer:
The Sterling - to my knowledge - was the only other vehicle equipped with the Mack designed universal towing receiver and hitch. This allowed the Sterling to tow the 155mm gun, 8 inch gun or the M23 ammo trailer WITHOUT the need of an intermediate Limber.

Otherwise the M23 would employ the M5 Limber.

Work in Progress:

2 Likes

More about Sterling trucks

https://usautoindustryworldwartwo.com/Sterling.htm

H.P.

2 Likes

Wow what a beast!

2 Likes

T26 Sterling Truck with T58 Trailer… in 1/285th scale :wink: (from Shapeways)

or a T67 trailer

H.P.

2 Likes

Similar thread in the archives but sadly most of the photos did not make it thru the archiving process.

1 Like

Bummer. Long out of print.

1 Like

Please pardon the thread derail…

My understanding is that, at least for World War II, the primary reason to ditch the roof is to get the vehicle into a ship hold. That does not explain a vehicle with a roof but no doors. It does not explain why some vehicles have doors to hood height, like a modern car, while others do not. Then there are the vehicles with a door to hood height and a fold down upper panel to the height of the erected wind screen. A few smart designs offer detachable doors and/or roofs that easily bolt on after shipping. My personal favorites are tank destroyers with armor in every direction…but no roofs. Troops in the field then scratch build roofs from scavenged plate. It’s crazy out there.

The part that really makes me wonder is that, when this stuff gets into the field, a bunch of reports start coming back…hey, we need doors and a roof. Door and roof kits go out. Then, when designing the very next vehicle…no doors or roof.

I am not military. I just read a lot and am kinda kidding but kinda not. Some of the feedback and requirements that come out of trials are crazy. Of late, I’ve been learning a lot about the evolution of hand guns and rifles. Some of the feedback from gun trials was bonkers. Here is a weapon that works way better than what you had. No, no. We want it changed to be like the old, worse stuff. Crazy.

I now have a much greater appreciation for weapon procurement. I though massive cost over runs and time delays were a modern phenomenon. Oh, no. As far back as records exist, that sort of stuff was happening.

Back on topic…

I would really like Takom to release a T28 Super Heavy Tank, M6 Heavy Tank, and a T26 Sterling, in that order. They kinda all go together. Well, I would build 'em that way.

Also, please republish that book.

2 Likes

If there was only one single person writing the requirements for a military procurement then it could be manageable. Chaos will ensue when there is a committee of divergent opinions, influence, power, prejudices and concerns for their local constituency.

Stacking in crates in ship holds makes sense (two 2½ ton trucks in height or 4 x jeep).
Bucket seats and no doors made it easier to exit quickly.
Comfy seats, doors and roof reduced the fatigue so the troops were more combat ready when they un-assed the vehicle.
Conflicting requirements all over the place.

3 Likes

If Tony is still with us there in the UK, the Sterling book can be purchased directly from him. That is where I got my copy!

Here is the last e-mail I had on Tony:

Tony.Gibbs@btinternet.com

It is now confirmed: This is the correct and current e-mail for Tony Gibbs

2 Likes

One is still around… :wink:

https://www.boekwinkeltjes.nl/b/219769913/Sterling-T26-Discoverered-Analysis-of-Steve-Hodges-amazing-8x8-12-ton-high-mobility-prototype/

H.P.

1 Like