The Worst Model Kit You Ever Built?

Can you tell me more? While the plastic detail doesn’t meet modern standards I didn’t see anything horrible when I last looked in the box. I guess with a free model I should have known better.

1 Like

Well so far, its probably the Glencoe models 1/30something scale BTR-50…
figures excluded, something like 40odd pieces for the FULL kit! NOT a typo.
engine deck from the depth of someone’s mind with the lights out- nothing on it and I mean not. one. single. bit. of detail was even approaching accurate. Built it as a wreck and even that didn’t look right. I’m sure I have some more dogs waiting for me in the stash.

1 Like

I have to ay Carlos, I do on occasion still go looking for some for similar reasons - the monograsm M29 comes to mind. I dont play with resin…
-and others, known dawgs, just for the fun/challenge of it.

1 Like

Until you have tried to build a Tauro A7V nobody can truly understand how bad a kit can be, especially one that looks so promising in the box. Nothing fits, the hull sides are mastered in such a way that it is akin to making an actual house of cards, and it not only gives you the ethereal joy of individual tracks but they are soft enough that the connector pins tear the tracks apart and, if you can surmount this challenge, the tracks promptly start to dissolve when paint is applied. But being cleverer than that, you simply don’t paint them. Whereupon you discover they disintegrate in sunlight.

You finally store it carefully in a cool, dark place to allow it to survive, far from anyone who wishes to look at it. Which is really for the best. . .

5 Likes

Yep. Built that horrible kit.
You forgot to mention the rivets along the corners, one third of some rivets were outside the edge of their hull plate and when the hull plate had been adjusted to fit only half the rivet was still there.
The suspension had real metal coil springs, probably spare parts from a jackhammer assembly. I raided the bins of small items that might someday become useful and found softer springs.

2 Likes

Hi, couldn’t agree more about those two, what do you think of their Panzer 4?

2 Likes

you saved that, excellent paint scheme, nice work, even if the kit hadn’t been terrible.

2 Likes

Lav 25 by Italeri, not a horrible kit, but funny steps in the building instrutions… in step 5 every item has the same number…

7 Likes

Ha, never noticed that before.

1 Like

On all of my Italeri LAV’s there was also a moulding issue, one of the edges (I think it was the upper edge) of the hatches was wavy instead of straight. I have fought worse kits …

2 Likes

I did once have the Atlantic 1/72 Jagdtigers - two in a box, green polythene, the same material that the soldiers were made from - but that was really a toy, not what we (very serious artists) regard as a proper model kit. I feel like the two worst are two recent kits I have worked on. The new Airfix Tiger is really bordering on also not being a “proper” model kit, but a toy, as it is clearly only designed to appeal to customers with little interest in accuracy. Somehow the designer paid enough attention to get some things, such as the overall length and width, almost spot on, while getting others so wrong that it seems they must have been building the CAD model from memory rather than looking at photos. Extraordinary that a new kit from a long standing kit manufacturer should be so poor.
The other was the Den Bels resin kit of the Unic Half Track that I made last year, but I have ended up really liking the finished model, even though (or maybe because) I had to fix almost everything with some parts of it so badly deformed as to be unusable. But that’s a one-man band mastering his own resin kit, and I think it might have been the first one he did.

I have got a TOGA T20 Komsomolyets in the stash, that looks pretty poor…

2 Likes

I have built one in 2015, gun muzzles were the worst part of the kit, poorly moulded, bad fit, tracks without moulded pins.

2 Likes

I’d have to say the Lindberg T-55. The details and what not are bad but I just didn’t know anything at the time. It was my first completed armor build.

Also worked on a Skif T-55 and T-64BV. Not the worst, but the detail quality was poor and the thick plastic just made things worse.

1 Like

Same here as far as armor kits, that kit is a mutt. My rear deck lid where it met the rear of the tub/hull had a horrible gap so I’d agree wholeheartedily. Pretty much has sworn me off of Acadamy 1/35. Their 1/72 B-17F has the worst cockpit fuselage area, horrible gaps up and down the entire thing, still sitting 3/4 done, thinking about calling it close enough and hanging it for decoration. 3rd kit I’d list is Revell’s 1/48th Superhornet, the area forward of the intakes is just a disaster, sitting in the same stage as the B-17 and probably the same plans for it, heavy weathering to cover the godawful seams and hang it out of close inspection. Revell’s 1/32 P-51B is a pretty good slouch of a kit too. The only thing to be said on the 17, P-51 and Superhornet was at least I got them cheap but cheap kits are like cheap tattoo’s, you certainly get what you pay for.

2 Likes

Igor, thanks; nice to see and hear.

1 Like

To be fair, the Mustang kit dates back to 1969.

1 Like

I’d have to say it’s actually the Tamiya 1/32 F-14A I’m working on right now. Don’t get me wrong, I’m having fun, but good lord does it have fit issues!

1 Like

I have to give you that point, even with that said the .50 cal ports on the wings didn’t match up so even taking the age into account is was sloppy engineering in areas. I’m pretty much regulating it to being my paint mule, big enough to be a good paint canvas. Now their superhornet isnt that old, no excuse for the quality of the engineering nowdays but once again,if you get something like that for a steal at least the sting of it isnt so bad.

1 Like

Anything Alan or Mirage… interchangeable and each atrocious to build. I bought a bulk lot cheap once… ended up being a waste of money.

1 Like

It is funny how if you read this topic, the words [worst model] for some people mean a model with fitting problems, and for someone else a model with accuracy to reality problems… shows you how much difference there can be as to what someone regards important… :wink:

4 Likes