Thermal type painting?

Has anyone done a diorama in the way you’d see a vehicle through another’s sights? Sorta like how the figure guys can do their figures how NVGs would see them. If anyone has any pics, they’d be greatly appreciated, though I can’t say I have the skill to do anything like it.

2 Likes

I think someone did.

Night Vision (painting experiment) - Figures / In Progress - KitMaker Network

4 Likes

That would be really hard I think, but if you want to try it, the internet has plenty of photos. Here are a few I found:

TIS

600px-M113A2_TIS_front-right

The last one is CGI, but it looks correct. The key is that the hotter an area or object is, the brighter it is. Cold areas are dark.
Ken

5 Likes

You could do it either in “White Hot” or “Black Hot” FLIR.

Doing the figure in “Predator” color thermal will definitely be harder.

4 Likes

Thanks!
My main concern would be how to get across the “bloom” and loss of quality there is. Perhaps a poorer quality kit or some sort of technique to force the viewer into seeing edges as softer than they are?

1 Like

Like I said, that would be hard. The glow or bloom effect wipes out a lot of detail.
Ken

2 Likes

Pardon the poor MSpaint drawing but would this sort of technique work? Obviously on hot edges the effect would be more effective, and on cold ones you could do another colour. It might be a stretch, but I’ll try it out on some scraps.

It relies on the gradients from extremes being on edges, and starting them inside certain panels

2 Likes

Use black light paints.

1 Like

for the loss of quality what about some of the older Tamiya kits lol

4 Likes

I was going to suggest that. But in a shadow box with an actual UV bulb hidden up top. I did something similar once all so I could simply show a small chem light on the ground in front of a compound that was about to get raided. Needless to say my less than stellar figure painting skills did not need to come into play. (My next shadow box dio will have every single figure facing away from the viewer) :smiley:

Side note: There’s a Army vehicle ID course/test you can take that show you just the vehicles’ heat signatures. But it’s a lot toughter than you’d think - the images are not nearly as defined as the M113 pictured above. It’s a bit challenging.

Ah, almost forgot - there was a very faint glow you could see coming from inside the HMMWV from the FBCB2 screen,

3 Likes

Yes, click the link as @SableLiger posted for really cool images of thermal and night vision painted figures and vignettes.

https://forums.kitmaker.net/t/night-vision-painting-experiment/24029

There are neon colors and color shifting colors that one can try and use to mimic the effects. Green Stuff World makes fluorescent paints that can be used for FLIR and thermal imaging.

And then Green Stuff World makes shades of green paint.

6 Likes

Ha, buddy having a leak.

1 Like

Those are pretty cool. I’m trying their chameleon paints.

3 Likes