Thoughts on 1/16 scale building

I’m a tad old to be messing with 1/30. My Jagdpanther G2 gives proof to that.
I enjoy building without having my eyes spinning around. :slight_smile:
I have space to build.

Personally I think there is less of a challenge to the really large model scales so I don’t go there. (Unless perhaps if we are talking outdoor F scale trains! Which is a whole 'nother thing entirely!)

@stephen.s1, on one hand, I agree with Michael, as I tend to fiddle around with all sorts of tiny parts, which usually can’t be seen when the model is done! :smile: But I do so, because I like doing it.

It seems to me that if you like building models and it’s more enjoyable to build kits at a larger scale, why not?

If you start a 1/16 kit you find really interesting, I think you could add as much detail you like (either scratch build or aftermarket), even relatively tedious bits like bolt heads, hoses, wires etc, which if nothing else are easier to see and handle at a larger scale than in 1/35, 1/24 or 1/20 scales. I have built several 1/20 scale cars and find they provide a pretty good platform for adding the things I like to add, so I suspect 1/16 or other larger scale would be too.

It’s good to hear you have some space to work. I’m working on a 1/24 project right now, and it’s huge! 23.5" long without adding bumpers, and the size alone has become something of a challenge, as I keep knocking things off my bench as I move it around, and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to hold and work on! I have a 1/12 scale model racecar that I will eventually try - who knows? maybe next!

As this is a hobby, and not a job, you can build what you are interested in and enjoy doing!

I say go for it and find out if you like it or not :+1:

Cheers
Nick

4 Likes

Ultimately, build in the scale that you enjoy building. If lighting and vision assist have been addressed and it isn’t fun to build in 1/35 scale, definitely it’s worth moving to a larger scale to continue enjoying model building.

Many folks that like working in 1/35, 1/48 & 1/72 etc use prescription glasses, bifocals, reading glasses, opti-visor or other assistance to help see better in the hobbyroom. That could be an option to explore. My optometrist was kind enough to help dial in a pair of glasses specifically for model building. Likewise, proper lighting makes a world of difference. Roughly after age ~35, as we age every ~7 or years we need a significant increase in light to see with the same fidelity. With new glasses, optivisor and better lighting, I can see as well at the work bench now as 35 years ago for working in 1/35 scale.

The only negatives to 1/16 in my mind is space requirements, greater cost and fewer kit options. The good news is 1/16 seems popular and growing!

Best wishes model building in all scales!

3 Likes

I find the scale thing is a bit misleading anyways, as the subject ultimately determines the size no matter the scale. I have a 1/72 Millennium Falcon that dwarfs most of my 1/35 and 1/32 kits, as well as all of my automobile kits in the 24/25 range. I also just finished the 1/16 Pz.Kpfw III Ausf J which falls under the shadow of my 1/350 Klingon battlecruiser. My daughter has a 1/6 Schwimmwagen I got for her Barbies years ago and even that is smaller than the Falcon. And massively less detailed despite its size and potential for accuracy.

So my thought is (in addition to Armor_Buff’s technology enhancement suggestions): Build what you are comfortable with building if that is a factor you have to seriously consider for health or other reasons. It’s your hobby to enjoy in the way that brings you the most satisfaction.

1 Like

Thank you all for your thoughts…
said he after heading back to the RFM tracks… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think working in larger scales (for me anything bigger than 1:35) necessarily makes any difference to how much detail’s required. We “serious” modellers will generally (NB “generally”) detail down to the point where the element can’t be seen clearly enough to reveal it’s a bodged approximation e.g. a tiny blob for a bolt-head.

Taking that example, at 1:35 yeah I’d settle for a tiny blob. But if it was XL bigger I’d be detailing the hexagonal shape and the screw-thread of the bolt if it projected above the nut.

So large scales to my mind don’t automatically reduce eye-strain or handling issues at all. What does make me think 3 times about going large scale is what’s already been said – display/storage limitations.

3 Likes

I have rheumatoid arthritis in both hands. Sometimes it’s so bad I have great difficulty bending my fingers and I can’t hold finger to thumb when it’s at it worst

In addition I also have cataracts in both eyes, but not bad enough yet to warrant surgery.
I build nothing particular, if I see a model that talks to me, I’ll get it

With aircraft I don’t go smaller than 1/48, I have more in 1/32 and 1/24. AFVi in 1/35 is also a bit tricky, so I’m liking the 1/16 releases.
Boats I have a 1/72 submarine and a 1/35 Schnellboote.

My other issues dictate when I can model but doesn’t dictate size of the kits.
The other factor is cost as I cannot work so purchasing has to be carefully worked out, which means I miss out on deals frequently.

So for me the bigger scales are great, currently working on the 1/16 Takom jeep.

4 Likes

An interesting outlook… Thanks for the peek.