Tiger 1 Stowage

I know there are the pics,but it looks like some of those drums would impede the turret from turning,unless they were pretty confident of not being attacked

2 Likes

As regards stowage, there is a big difference between Tigers taking a road trip and Tigers going into combat.
The latter are almost always devoid of additional stowed items except for spare tracks.
And, as said above, stored items must not interfere with vision or combat abilities.

David

3 Likes

Fuel drums in 2022…

H.P.

2 Likes

Oh, man. That is evil knowledge. Looking that up led to some really expensive reference books that need purchasing.

2 Likes

Sorry 'bout that…

2 Likes

Oh, no, no. I appreciate the head’s up that new books exist, especially that one. I missed out on so many things during my decade long break. Practically every information search yields two or three books for the purchasing queue.

With regards this thread, it was my understanding that German doctrine required tank crews going into combat to leave almost all personal equipment with the baggage train. Most pictures of German tanks piled high with equipment show a vehicle heading to or from the front. There are definitely exceptions, especially when battle lines were very fluid. Perhaps I am misremembering, though.

2 Likes

Nope, you are getting it right, and the other posts pretty much fall in line with that, esp. @DByrden post above.
Most of the pics here with lots of stowage are in transit to or from the battle area.
Not to be confused with pics of camouflage, i.e. lots of tree branches or additional protection in the form of logs or spare tracks attached to the hull.
Ken

3 Likes

Thanks I will keep a eye open for it.

2 Likes