Tiger 1 Stowage

Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone has any good photos of stowage on a Tiger 1. I’m trying to get ideas for stowage placement on upcoming Tiger build, so any and all types of photos are welcome. Thanks!

Colin

2 Likes

I built an Early Tiger I Tunisia last year and got to the stowage stage. After reviewing about a hundred or so photos online and in print, I found that Tunisian Tigers carried no stowage!! ( Except for the obligatory bucket hanging off the back.) You’ll be hard pressed to find Tiger I’s with stowage on the back, certainly not the mounds seen on Allied tanks.

2 Likes

I agree. You don’t see a lot of stowage on Tigers on the Eastern Front either, except for the occasional bucket.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! That’s what I noticed looking around on my own today. Even though there’s not a lot, I’m more interested in the occasional tarp or jerry can in an interesting place. I don’t want to completely bury my tiger in storage. I’m just interested in small eye-catching details.

2 Likes

There are always exceptions.

But generally, Tigers are usually devoid of excessive baggage.

2 Likes

if you’re doing a late war version you know they were always scrounging for petrol so i’ve used 55 gallon drums with siphons. before anyone says it’s a danger to the crew of course it is but it’s either that or run out of gas on the Russian front. plenty of resin 1/35 ones.

1 Like

btw Colin: i don’t know about other modelers but you know those flimsy microscopic PE tie downs they make? don’t use them. i measure out the locations of the tie downs to scale and use a pin vise with tiny drill and make two parallel holes very close together. then i run thin wire them and tie them off from the inside. voila! real tie downs for stowage.

you can see the loops and i use German imported silk bead cord to tie down whatever.

2 Likes

Fuel drums…

H.P.

1 Like

hey, those real soldiers with their real tank stole my idea!

1 Like

SSG:
You touched on something that’s a slight off-putting characteristic of some builds and that is over-stowage. each modeler is entitled to artistic license but i’ve seen some stowage piles that would make Red Foxx jealous from Sanford & Son. we have to remember that the engine deck and the roof have working parts or need immediate egress or access. so, blocking periscopes with suitcases and ammo crates while scores of Russian sappers running around isn’t realistic is if? just my opinion. i’m all for some stowage but moderation.

5 Likes

H.P.

3 Likes

Another shot of that Tiger.

3 Likes

I like this stowage picture wirh the fuel drums.

I would like to see a quality way to do the dust cloud…

3 Likes

To be sure, the entire engine deck of the Tiger I was devoted to engine cooling of the already overstressed powerplant. Those grates and vents had to be kept unobstructed at all times, which dictates no mounds of stowage on the engine deck.

4 Likes

Yeah. Try being that Maybach HL-230 V-12 engine trying to push 47 tons around. You’d be gasping for air too. :wink:

3 Likes

…and it had an aluminum block for weight savings…

…probably used aluminum to aid in cooling on a serious note.

3 Likes

I believe there were also directives to make sure all vision ports and cooling vents were to remain unblocked by any stowage or foliage camo.

2 Likes

Actually only the HL-210 was aluminum block and crank. The HL-230 was cast iron block and crank.

The engine was also water-cooled, not air-cooled. One of the main problems it had during Eastern Front service.

4 Likes

Very interesting photos, I’ve just been gifted Tigers in combat 1&2, to help me research details.

3 Likes

There’s a TIC 3 also.

2 Likes