Tin Can Sailors Campaign (10/1/20 - 10/31/21)

Alex, fantastic work!

I am looking at that turret and all it does is re-enforce my desire to never work with PE at 1/700 scale. I don’t know how you do it. 1/350 is often too small for me.

1 Like

That is some really nice PE work!

Mark :beer:

Wow Alex! That’s so tiny!:hushed:

Hello all,

Rory, Mark, Russell: thank you for your kind words. :blush:

And yes, your’re all right, it is tiny. But when you work with such small parts for a prolonged time, you reach a zen-like state of mind, whispering mantras like “don’t snap from the plier” again and again.
:pray: :joy:

No, jokes aside: this scale has one big advantage over larger scales which is that (at least in my opinion) it’s easier to hide mistake or blemishes. And of course you get much fun for few money.

But when I look at the pics now, I wonder if it’s not better to remove the handrails on the sides of turrets and torpedo launchers and replace them with streched sprue, because the etched parts look way to big. Maybe that would look more scale like???
What do you think??
:thinking:

Have fun modelling
Cheers

Alex

Here’s my entry:

2 Likes

Alex, I think, to the mkI eyeball, the turret will look amazing… No need to change pe to sprue :slightly_smiling_face:

The other advantage the 1/700 team has over us 1/350 crowd is cost and size… But my butter fingers and eyes prefer the easier 1/350 range :slight_smile:

Nice choice of kit Pasi… Looking forward to seeing what you do with it :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Russell,

sorry for my late reply, and thank you for you kind words and your opinion not to use sprue instead of eched parts.
:+1: :smiley:

I know what you mean…, I’ve now reached an age, that I ask myself if it wouldn’t be better to switch to a larger scale in the future because of eyesight.
It’s not the price that worries me, it’s space. I work in a small scale, and I wonder where to put Trumpeter’s 1/200 Titanic which I build for my wie (she’s a big fan of the movie)
:thinking:

Cheers, and happy modelling

Alex

1 Like

Well, Alex, if you’re building Titanic for your wife, no reason it shouldn’t take prime position on a mantle piece or side table as a formal display :slight_smile:

Hello everyone,

just to show that there’s some progress made on the Yugumo, here some pics.
The funnel caps have been made and one of the torpedo units is also finished.
Unfortunately, I’m working at a glacial speed, because after one hour my eyes have to adapt to something bigger… a british “Conqueror” in 1/35.

Cheers, and happy modelling

Alex

3 Likes

Alex,

She is coming along splendidly, looking forward to seeing some color on her!!

David

David, thank you. :smiley:

Someday, there will be paint on the ship. But as I’m not got used to paint ships, I still wonder in which sequence I should paint.
First, the linoleum deck will be painted, then I can build the other main parts and glue them to the deck. Small parts will be build and applied at the end. I hope that’s the Best way to finish this boat.
You see, I’m no expert in building ships.

BTW, your Tama looks fantastic!!! It’s pure fun to watch it come together.

Cheers, and happy modeling

Alex

Alex,

Thank you for the kind words regarding my Tama!!

The process you described above is pretty much the process I follow with my builds. It has kept me on track so far so…

David

Ditto!

Mark :beer:

Sooo… this happened!

More pics on my dedicated blog :blush:

2 Likes

Installing lighting Russell?

Ooo… Might be a bit beyond my skill to install lighting on this build, Rory… Especially in the time frame allowed… Saving that for the Titanic that’s been residing in my stash for the last few years :slightly_smiling_face:

But worth it I think :grin:

:astonished: omg Rory; what happened to stealth :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Who needs stealth when you have the Union Jack flying from your mast!

1 Like