Tin Can Sailors Campaign (10/1/20 - 10/31/21)

Screw stealth. Rule Britannia!

GSTQ!

Michael, misplaced Yank.

1 Like

Hello friends of maritime relaxation,

I have a problem regarding the brass strips which hold the linoleum on the steel deck on japanese ships: should I paint them, or should I just leave them in the linoleum colour??
On the real ships, these strips were just 3cm wide (1,182inch), in 1/700 that equals 0,043mm (or 0,0017inch); personally I think, that would be barely visible.

Any advice…, please

Cheers, and happy modelling
Alex

Alex, - in my opinion they should be painted or replaced with PE brass strip.

Just my two cents.

David

Alex. While those strips are overscale in 1/700, sometimes being overscale is worth the visual effect. Personally I wouldn’t do it, but I wouldn’t complain about the scale mistake due to the gain in visual appeal.

Hi David, Phil

that anwers my question perfectly. Thanks for your opinion!!
I will try to paint them, 'cause brass seems much to prominent on such a small vessel.

Cheers
Alex

I tried to paint them brass at 1/350 scale and gave up. No one seem to notice or care.

Mark :beer:

Hi all,

just a very small update on the IJN Yugumo.
Lately, I only made the davits (sorry, no foto of the aft ones).

And BTW, I have to say that it’s a real joy to work with Tetra’s eched set. Easy to cut, not extremely thick nor thin and they fold easily.
After these parts I wanted to start on the lifeboats, and quickly realized that their quality is not to the high standard when compared to the newer offerings from Fujimi.

Now the AA-platform, searchlight and funnels have to be finished, and then it’s time to paint. Minor things come only after painting.

Cheers :beer:

Alex

2 Likes

Alex, those davits are stunning! I remember fiddling with the davits on those Tamiya “Water Line Series” destroyers back in the day… things are SO much better now!

Hi Tim,

sorry for me answering so late.
Yes, I know what you’re talking about, (some time ago, I got a present from my fiancé…, it was “Suzuya”. Produced in 2003. I thought I could improve some of the small parts 'cause they looked really ugly, but no. So I bought tons of aftermarket parts to bring the ship to a certain standard.) today it’s only cut, fold, paint, glue and be satisfied.

Cheers
Alex

Hey all,

While the USS Buchanan is not my primary build I did want to get a little bit done this weekend. So I added the first pieces of photoetch and secured the deck to the hull.

Will be some time before any more work gets done but the planned next step is to mask and paint the hull. I have several parts and pieces that I need to order if I am going to update this ship to the 1944 configuration.

More to come!!

David

2 Likes

Its been a minute since my last update due to holidays / modelling funk / Assassins Creed Valhalla (I am a sucker for AC games) but I have been slowly working on the hulls.

Painting and decaling are completed. The decals were an utter nightmare. Fragile like you wouldn’t believe. The long lines broke in so many places and that’s AFTER I cut them down into more manageable sections.

JMSDF Myoko: Came out looking good but I am not happy with the circle on the bow. Circle decals are my nemesis.

JMSDF Atago: This used to have similar markings as the Myoko on the bow however I had some catastrophic lifting when using a mask for the circle around the 127mm gun. This was after protecting the decals with a gloss coat and allowing it all to dry and harden for a few days. Just pulled right up in big sections. In the end it actually worked out because when I went back to look at reference photos, the majority of them show Atago without extensive markings on the bow. Some sanding and a respray later and it looks ok.

Hull numbers side by side:

4 Likes

Rory, Despite your difficulties you have come uo with some nice, neat work on these bad boys.I can;t wait to see these builds come along!

Finally started on my entry to this group build. Not much to show but I did assemble the two hull pieces and started to fill the seam with Mr. Surfacer 500.

Also started on some of the superstructure.

Its not much, but I am on the last stages of another build and when finished this will be move to the number 1 spot on the ways.

Until the next post.

3 Likes

Looking good!

Hello Captains,

may I join the club with my Kriegsmarine Zerstörer Z-25? The Z-25 was a very active destroyer, it patrolled the whole baltic sea, took part in the channel dash, attacked convoys in arctic waters and against the end of the war convoyed passenger ships laden with east prussian refugees toward the Reich´s mainland and gave fire support to the hard-pressed german defenders near the coast. Luckily the ship survived the war and was handed over to the french which used then until 1958 when it was finally scrapped.

This is the plain unstarted kit:

and I have some goodies for it…
first Flyhawk´s comprehensive upgrade set

then we have a real wooden deck for the bridge area and a nice small pedestal which will fit perfectly for it

and the best of all 3D-printed AA-guns for the ship from Black Cat Models (excellent!)

I do plan to represent Z-25 in its 1945 equipage which means more heavier AA-armament and improved locating equipment. So lets begin mine :yum: :speedboat:

2 Likes

Black Sheep,

Nice choice. With all of those upgrades she should be one sweet looking ship.

Looks like a winner!

Started working on my Z-25. Oh boy now I know why I never ever did see someone finished it together with the Flyhawk super detail set. For this one you need to have the patience of an elephant, the eyes of a hawk and the fine motor skills of a brain surger as there are a gazillion parts so small you can not even pick them up with a micro tweezers…

Here I have started to apply the new etched deck which is a progress to the kit as you can see the welding seams of the floor´s steel panels.

I made the bow part with a new anchor chain. The etched chain was too short and wrongly shaped…

Here was my fist confrontation with nanoparticle sized etching parts. Can you see the eye at the knive´s tip? There should have been six installated but I lost four due to different reasons and just remain with two now

The railings at both sides of the deck for the trolleys for the waterbombs and the mines were each made out of three parts. Tricky but nice to see finished

Then the microscopic war continued with the screwblade fenders - 4 tiny parts for each side

and one of the companion ladders from the engine room

And they ask you for installing much more tiny etched parts insane giggle - I don´t promise to use them all…

Need a beer now… :sleepy: :beer:

Cheers

Thomas

6 Likes

A well deserved beer!

Thomas,

That is a lot of PE, I can see why it would drive one to drink. Make sure you thank FlyHawk…LOL.

1 Like