Torsten's bench works

@magnusf tempting, but build speeds for me are a challenge :wink:

Thanks for your comments, guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

Russell, it’s a nice kit with not many problems so far. Had only some minor troubles with the fitting of the cockpit in the fuselage but with a little push and pull it works. I guess the 1/72 kit has the same quality.

I’m already a bit further with both birds. Had some engine test runs which were a lot easier than here:smile: and currently I’m working at the wings. Hope to show some progress photos soon.

Torsten :wave:

1 Like

@BlackWidow can’t believe they went on to fly it after the engine had so much trouble! :astonished:

Yes, she made it after the bang, Russell. There’s a follow up video from a different angle of the same event which shows take off and landing. I have a few more Hasegawa and Eduard Hellcats in my stash and one option is this “White 32” from the USS “Randolph”.

Did some work on the Hellcats. First the engines, painted in Black with some dry brush in Revell Steel. I left the ignition wires on the PE fret. That’s far too fiddly work for me and barely visible in the end. Maybe that’s why my test runs were so successful … :smile:

… and with cowlings. You can see the ignition wire as part PE66 in the instruction in the background …

… most work in the last days was at the wings. Added them to the fuselages just today. I opened the gun muzzles on JZ796. On JV132 it was not possible - too tiny …

Work for the next week is masking the canopies and preparing also the landing gears for primer and painting. Still along way …

Have a nice week!
Torsten
:beer:

4 Likes

A bit more work in the last days. Have masked the canopies, the fitting of the masks is very good. As there are open and closed canopies offered in the kit, 2 different masks are on the sheet.

There’s no explanation in the instruction which canopy for which Hellcat so I had to check my references. The rear part is equal only on the windshield is a small difference (see arrows) …

… as I want to have open canopies on both Hellcats I had to cover the cockpits with Kip Tape, here on JV132. The canopies are glued with Micro Kristal Klear to the fuselage. And no, I did not forget the gun sight … :wink:

… here you can see which canopy for which Hellcat. It was easy to figure out looking at my references

I think I can start with painting this weekend. Hope to show some more progress soon.

Wishing you a nice weekend!
Torsten :beer:

6 Likes

Torsten, these are going to look sensational with paint on! Can’t wait to see the chosen schemes :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hallo Torsten,
I just dropped in to Your excellent build. These two look great so far! I will keep watching!

Oliver

1 Like

Thanks for looking, guys! :slightly_smiling_face:

I just come back from painting the canopy frames Interior Green, so I think I can start with primer tomorrow. Yes, Russell, I also think both Hellcats will look fine in the end, especially the Mk. I with its upper camo Dark Slate Grey and Extra Dark Sea Grey. Not often seen on Hellcats.

Torsten

1 Like

Work went pretty well last weekend on my Hellcats, so I can show you another small update today.
First primer over all (no, they are not joining the UN-Forces now …)

… and the sub assemblies. There will be only an external fuel tank for JV132 as seen on the original photo. JZ796 will get none …

Yesterday I sprayed Sky on the underside of JV132 and Insignia White for the stripes on JZ796 …

… have used Vallejo 71302 for that …

… I noticed that Vallejo 71279 Insignia White is a bit on the yellow side, just like RAL 9001 …

… so much masking just to get the hub white … :woozy_face:

… today I masked the stripes on JZ796 with 10 mm Tamiya Tape and Parafilm. The roundels on the fuselage are 11 mm in diameter, so the fuselage band is now 12 mm wide. The roundels should fit well between the borders. Masking the cowling ring was a lot easier … :smile:

I think I can start painting US Navy Blue on JZ796 tomorrow. I’ll let you know how it worked out …

Torsten :wave:

7 Likes

Looking good! :star_struck:
—mike

1 Like

Looking good Torsten :slightly_smiling_face:

Now there’s an interesting and probably never done what if: UN Hellcats :astonished:

1 Like

Thanks guys!

Russell, go for it if you like! What Ifs are not my playground.

Since my last update I made some painting sessions. After masking JZ796 got Navy Blue all over. I painted the bird in 2 sessions. It was easier to hold it that way …

… have used Vallejo 71295 US Navy Sea Blue here …

… and … ta-da! :slightly_smiling_face:

… at a first glance there has no paint crawled under the masks but I will have a closer look now.
The last 2 days I also spent masking JV132 a bit. I hope I have not forgotten something … :woozy_face:

… and fresh from the paint shop this afternoon …

… have used Vallejo 71309 Dark Slate Grey here …

… will let JV132 dry thoroughly for 2 days now before spraying the other tone. Meanwhile I can work on the landing gear of JZ796. Still have to assemble the rockets though.

Stay safe!
Torsten :beer:

5 Likes

Looking good Torsten😁

I agree, generally what ifs aren’t my cup of tea either, but I do have 2 planned, but I’m trying to make them plausible what ifs of Airfix’s 1/72 Hawker Typhoons of which I’ve 2 spare kits in the stash: first is one in a NMF finish; and second is one in a RAAF scheme :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Just a small update from my weekend work on the Hellcats.

While JZ796 waits highly polished for the decals …

JV132 has got all camo on now … :slightly_smiling_face:

… here it’s Vallejo 71110 Extra Dark Sea Grey I have used …

Still a few touch ups to work on but the main painting on both kits is done now. I hope to start with the decals on JZ796 tomorrow … :crossed_fingers:

5 Likes

Bad news, guys! JZ796 made a crash landing on my work bench this evening … :cry:

The model slid out of my hand and crashed on the table. The right landing gear broke off into 3 parts, the wheel cover broke off, one right machine gun was damaged and the the antenna on the side rudder broke also off and was eaten on the spot by the carpet monster. After a first shock I started the repair. I drilled a hole in the strut and strengthen the strut with an Evergreen Profile. This is were I am with the repairs now. Tomorrow I’ll make a stress test to see if the landing gear is strong enough again to carry the wing. The cover will be added after that. So no decals today.

And no, I was not swearing, I just spoke loud and clear. You know, that “f…” word.

1 Like

Fig? Fire Truck? Forcryingoutaloud? Fiddlesticks?

Feige? Feuerwehrauto? fürlautesSchreien? Geigenböcke? … hmm not the same impact in German :stuck_out_tongue:

Just something to lighten your mood…

Good luck that the fix holds up Torsten

3 Likes

:smile:
Hahaha! I think it was something close to “Feuerwehrauto” :innocent: But I should try “Fiddlesticks” next time …

My Black Men worked all night to get the most damage done and I’m quite happy with the work. Stress test was successfull this morning though the angle is slightly out of focus. But I can live with that. The antenna has disappeared in the grey waves of the big carpet ocean though. Nothing I cannot repair.

4 Likes

I think @BlackWidow said

1 Like

Great - disaster averted . Nice recovery.

1 Like

Thanks for your support, Peter and Ryan! :slightly_smiling_face:

Strenuous working weeks have slowed down the building speed of my Hellcats a lot but now I’m close to the finish line with both. Still have to add a few small parts but I hope to have everything done during the Easter Holidays. Tomorrow I’ll do the last few decals on the propellers. I’m not sure if the cartoon was on both sides of the cowling of JZ796. Eduard offers 2 decals, so I decided to use them, no matter if it’s right or wrong. I didn’t like the decals for the black walk ways so I brush painted them. That looks much better now. And believe it or not, but I found the antenna from JZ796 again! Isn’t it a great idea not to vacuum clean the room every weekend? Well, I would have found it by then anyway … “clink-clink-clink” :smile:

6 Likes