Trafficking model kits

So a poster said in another thread about replacing plastic in a kit box and maybe the poster having personal experience doing so…what have you done to sneak kits in the house…I mean what has your buddy done to sneak kits into the house? As we are upstanding gentleman and wouldn’t resort to such tactics.

Other things I have done, I mean my buddy did. Send kits to a friends house, sent to work, volunteer as contest raffle coordinator (all contest kits went to the contest but not all packages delivered to the house where contest related). Hide many kits inside one kit box when returning from a club meeting/contest.

3 Likes

Work from home and sneak them in while wife is a work and kids at school.
The perfect setup.
Hiding them in the garage or other external location and sneaking them in while family is asleep.

Two kits in one box is simply to be able to stash more in the same given volume

2 Likes

Like Robin, I do my model shopping on days when my wife is working day shift (I’m retired). I’ll be in trouble when my wife will also have retired, so I have to buy as much now as I can! :grin:
:smiley:

3 Likes

Get your wife a hobby, preferably with some sort of meetings or activities so she needs to leave you unsupervised :wink:

2 Likes

Why would I have to smuggle model kits in to my house ? I don’t understand, I order a kit and when it arrives,my wife will say, what did you get,she is happy and excited for me,no questions or acrimony.Just like when she buys clothes or shoes,I don’t question her about her purchases.We know our limits and have our own money.I have a stash of about 40,not hidden anywhere,and she knows my most expensive kit was $225.
So I don’t need to smuggle my kits in

6 Likes

I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you…

3 Likes

How strange…

2 Likes

His wife is like guys saying they had a foreign girlfriend. Doesn’t exist. :joy:

1 Like

Lucky man!

1 Like

Thanks,I think so,she has put up with years of military and model outings.The Midway,Intrepid,New Jersey,Dayton AF Museum,Air and Space Museum,Aberdeen,it goes on.

2 Likes

I gotta agree with Tojo here. As long as your hobby is not detrimental, like causing financial strain or turning you into a hoarder, there should be no reason to hide what you enjoy. I couldn’t imagine being with someone where I’d have to do this sort of thing.

5 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I suspect (I hope!) that there are waaaay fewer modelers who have to actually do this than seems by the number of posts.

However, if you really do feel like you have to sneak your model purchases into the house and hide them from your swimbo, you’re probably just fooling yourself that you’re getting away with anything! In all likelihood, she’s just indulging your Mission Impossible fantasies while smiling behind your back at how cute she thinks your efforts to fool her are!

4 Likes

My wife, also, is interested and not at all disapproving of my latest acquisitions. She wants to see what I got and hear what it is. She loves my hobby, since we are both retired. I have a strict budget and devote 1% of my net income to new kits and aftermarket. I’m on an Army pension so that’s not a fortune! No, my wife paints pictures, and we see all of each others hobby purchases. Sometimes we even shop together at Hobby Lobby! How’s THAT for marital harmony?

6 Likes

No SWMBO, so there’s no need for me to skulk around like this devious Armorama lot.🥷 However, I need to keep an eye on my evil twin and his extravagant buying binges!
—mike
—mike

1 Like

Those are the worst twins. :joy:

kits

7 Likes

Some of my more expensive kits were bought by my wife, like my HKM B-17G and Hobby Boss B-24J.

2 Likes

I had the wife ordering model accessories for later builds like the 1/72 diorama campaign from Amazon and her unhappiness that make me think about the creation of this thread.

I might not be a smart man Jenny but I ain’t having her buy those kind of kits from me. I will see where Carolyn Baskin’s first husband is living if I do.

my model stash can’t even be 1% of her shoe and jewelry collection

2 Likes

PetBat…
WHEN she divorces you, you WON’T have a closet to put models in!

3 Likes