Trumpeter 2S3 kits accuracy?

Hi all
I remember having seen that Trumpeter 2S3 turret has an undersized commander’s cupola. Unfortunately I can’t remember if it was in the forum or elsewhere.
Does anybody know more about this ?

Olivier

Panzer35.ru if I recall. SP designs offers a correction kit I believe.

Thank you Sean.
No luck with Panzer.ru.
I checked SP Designs website and the turret is no longer available. I’ll try to contact Sergej.

Olivier

The SP Designs turret was intended for the early 2S3 kit. My kit is the late version with a different turret so I have to live with the Trumpeter one.

Olivier

Hi Olivier,
Do you have pics or drawing what is wrong with early turret?
Thanks.
Sasa

Cookie Sewell did not note any problems with the turret of the cupola, so it must be fine. :slightly_smiling_face:

I don’t know how their stuff is now, but I purchased an SP Designs Nona conversion for the BTR-80 before there was a plastic kit of it. Almost as bad as AEF Designs. I’d be wary of their older offerings.

Sergej has greatly improved his cast process with a vacuum machine and the details are really better now.
I have built some of his early products myself and while they were not top notch I’d say theye were better than AEF ones.

Concerning the cupola Trumpeter’s one is supposedly too small. Unfortunately I can’t remember where I read this. That’s why I was not affirmative.
If the cupola is OK it’s fine for me. :wink:

Olivier

I’ve just had an order containing the SP Designs 2s3 turret arrive, but am yet to compare it to the Trumpeter kit turret.

I can comfirm the casting is quite impressive and well done with weld beads and is very crisp. I ordered mine from BNA and it was the last one available.

So I’m all ears :wink:
Olivier

1 Like

Hopefully on the weekend I will get a chance, work has been too crazy lately. I will grab the ruler out and measure the difference.

1 Like

Curiosity got the best of me this morning before work. So the turret size alone has a major difference in size by eye. I haven’t measured it but as the eye can see its noticeable.

I’d put each one on the hull and compare the overhang on the side to see which one better matches this photo, or others like it.

There are drawings out there, but of course they can be suspect.

The turret sides certainly seem more sloped on the kit piece.

1 Like

Going by the picture of the 2S3 in your post, the SP Design is a more accurate turret. I sat the 2 turrets on the hull and the Trumpeter version doesn’t reveal the part of the turret ring bulge on the hull side, as where the SP Design one shows the turret ring bulge as per your picture.

So the error is an overall turret size and not just the cupola. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Olivier

1 Like

Is this the turret for early or late version?
Or there is no difference in size for early or late?

1 Like

Going by my limited knowledge and pictures (not measurements or blueprints) it seems as though the kit provided turret is too wide. Some surgery on the kit provided part may be a possibility though.

The correction is for the early version, I am unsure if there is any difference between versions.

Considering the bottom part in the kit is common to the both turrets, I guess the size flaw is unfortunately common to the turret shell as well.

Olivier

1 Like

Hi all
Stupid me finally looked at his own series of 2S3 pictures. The evidence of Trumpeter wrong turret was just under my eyes!

As you can see on the picture below the actual turret sides has no overhang above the turret ring. Trumpeter have represented a 2.5mm one on each side which would make a difference of 17.5 cm at the bottom of the actual turret.

Olivier

Wow, that’s quite a bit. Time to break out the saw ?