Twin-engine bombers

Good luck Stephen!

1 Like

Got the compressor fixed so hopefully should be able to get back on with this soon.

Sprayed the yellow along the wings. I used Vallejo ModelAirā€™s IJA Chrome Yellow. A nice rich yellow, but slightly translucent so needed a few light coats. The yellow-beige undercoat definitely helped here!

Iā€™m going to leave this overnight to thoroughly cute and harden, before I mask out the leading edge stripes.

4 Likes

What you describe is very similar to how my previous compressor died. First a plastic air line cracked. It took a lot of trial and error to find a functional replacement. Immediately after solving the first problem, a second, short, metal air line developed pin hole faults. That was beyond my ability to fix.

It was a blessing in disguise. My new air compressor vastly out performs the old one. It was cheaper, too.

1 Like

This thing Iā€™ve gotā€™s pushing 20 years old now and I donā€™t think itā€™s performing as well as it did. The pressure gauge went ages ago. I do need to invest in a replacement, but other things keep coming up.

1 Like

The gods struck again today, or possibly my own fault. Either way itā€™s another day of one step forward and two back.

Firstly, I had a proper look at the decals paint guide and realised that I didnā€™t need to mask the inboard section of the wings. Just the outer. Saved me a lot of time masking and a lesson learned not to be too reliant on the original instructions when Iā€™m replacing the decals.

And then I had a bright idea that nearly cost me the whole project.
Because itā€™s needs an overall coat of IJA grey, I decided to insert some cocktail sticks into the undercarriage location holes so it could stand up. Good idea huh? I donā€™t know if it was a case of me using too much force, a weak join or both, but I managed to break off the supporting floor in one nacelle. Nothing I tried could get it to fit back into place, so I had to resort to carefully dismantling the left engine cowling so I could get into it. Luckily without any damage, which felt like a minor miracle! The offending part is the grey rectangle.

Refitted and reinforced with milliput, the cowling was put back together.

Now, if nothing else can go wrong, she should be ready for some paint tomorrow.

4 Likes

Stephen, good to see you back on two engines.

Looking forward to see more - I love that mottled camouflage. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Jesper.
The cammo is the next challenge. Might have to practice on some scrap first.

Base coat of Vallejos IJA Grey went down yesterday.

Now for all the fun and games of the green mottle.

4 Likes

Experimenting earlier today with the mottle. Thought I would try a similar technique to how I did the poached egg mottling on a Macchi a couple of years ago.
Slightly thinner paint randomly applied with a Microbrush.
So out with the plastic scrap.

First couple of rows are with varying amounts of thinner.

Not sure I like the way it pooled in the middle here.

And then I remembered I had some Vallejos glaze medium, which is supposed to give the paint a slight translucency. Problem would be more effective on an IJA Grey base as opposed to the purple that was already on here, but this is more the effect Iā€™m after.

4 Likes

Please keep us updated on this. i would like to possibly try this technique.

Joe

1 Like

is this campaign over or was it extended? when will we get our badges?

Joe

1 Like

I might need to experiment with the amount of glaze medium but I think it might work at this scale. Iā€™m thinking if it looks effective from a distance Iā€™m happy.
It worked quite well on the Macchi, but that was a light beige mottle over dark green.

4 Likes

It is mostly over. I havenā€™t accumulated the lists. Iā€™m behind it in quite a few things - hope to get to it soonā€¦

1 Like

Very nice!!

Thanks Bert.
Itā€™s one of my favourite builds of recent years. Itā€™s the Hobby Boss kit, so a quick and easy build. I did have to scratch together the oil cooler under the nose they missed, but wasnā€™t too difficult. Everything about the project went well and the finished paint job turned out better than I expected.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to have to put the finishing of the Lily on hold for a while. Going to be on holiday, so no chance to get at the workbench.

Donā€™t wait up for me to issue the awards to everyone who finished.

OK, here is the list of people I think completed the campaign. If you are not on it, but completed a build, point me to the date in the thread where you posted your completion picture, please.

phil2015
john41492
md72
Bomber14
Damraska
SGTJKJ
B-17-peter
steviecee
RadekZ
Mukund

4 Likes

Congratulations to all those who finished.

When Iā€™m back and have a little more time, Iā€™ll continue with mine. Not going to give up now.

2 Likes

Thanks, Phil.