U.k M109 modelling

Hiya friends.
Have any of you built a U.K version of the M109 from 1970s onwards?,Thinking of maybe doing one maybe 1980s and maybe Gulf war one c 1991,Im guessing maybe U.K aerials maybe?,Im sure ive seen gulf war ones with turret stowage baskets similar to IDF?.
All the best from Richard

1 Like

Heres some shots of a few.
Online for ref only
You can see the Clansman ABA’s fitted.

7 Likes

Here with large turret baskets…taken at a German open day at Munster

9 Likes

Hi Richard,

I’ve always enjoyed the M109 as a modelling subject and have a few in my stash; that they’re the Italeri version doesn’t bother me at all, not least as I quite enjoy bringing them up top spec as it were.

I modelled an “original” short-barrelled version depicted as in 1973; I know that’s not what you’re considering but here is what I managed:

Apart from extensive stowage the only real mod was the L4 MG; figure was from Valkyrie.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

8 Likes

Really excellent work Brian as usual. Also love the way you present your models on their bases.

1 Like

Thanks Richard; it is from way back when but I thought it might give the OP a bit of encouragement, not I’m sure, that he needs any(!)

1 Like

Thank you for responding.Kind of you to post these.
Regards from Richard

1 Like

Many thanks for posting Andreas.Very interesting images.I didnt know the baskets were so large.I magined they were bit like those in one of the Italeri models.
Richard

1 Like

Howdy Brian.
Thanks for sharing your build.Im very impressed with your 109.Im quite happy using the Italeri kits for my standards.Love your bases and attention to detail.Will be in touch as i love particularly your nets.
All the best from Richard

2 Likes

Sorry Chaps - guilty of over-egging the pudding (as usual) but for completeness sake I forgot the frontal view:

5 Likes

Nice work! I have to wonder if they had water heaters for tea like the Chieftains.

1 Like

Again excellent Brian. Great job of dusting the lower part of the vehicle.

1 Like

I would hope so, I would hope so. As some else once said:

"Because the British see no good reason to let a bit of warfare and mayhem interfere with the serious business of tea.

We’re not barbarians"

2 Likes

Thanks Richard; good old Tamiya Buff - my faithful standby for all things weathering-wise.

1 Like

Always like seeing your short barrel M109 Brian!

1 Like

Thanks Terry; I always liked the sort of stubby yet menacing look of the thing (you may recall I also did a German one, but that is clearly showing off - let alone the heinous crime of thread hijack):

5 Likes

I love seeing your builds Brian.Helps to rekindle my mojo to try and build and finish some models for a change.
Richard

3 Likes

We all get mojo loss at times I guess, and for me seeing others models always helps restore!

3 Likes

Dear God, if people only knew the size of my half-built stash…!

One of my New Year resolutions - to complete the half-built - and I still haven’t got anything on the table (mind you, being a dining-table-top type of modeller, I’ve only just got the table back!)

2 Likes

Just to put my 2 penny’s worth in,
the original issued vehicles are registered as ED, these went from 109 to 109A1, A2( flat cover to post sight , and no bulging rear turret hatch) and A3 (the Dome cover to post sight and the extra rounds carried in the extension of the rear turret hatch), you can recognise these with the swimming kit fixing points on the front, and sides (nuts on display), with the air pumping tube fixed across the body in front of turret, with a strip of vertical metal on both sides the turret for the swimming plate fitment

the HB ones are new builds A3s , all the trimmings But.
NO swimming kit fitment.
Picture’s 109 , A3 and A1, don’t know why pictures ended up in that order.

6 Likes