Unfinished Business 2021 Group Build

Since I have a set of metal Panzer IV tracks assembled and stuck away for the moment, I think I’ll pull away from M47’s and finish this…specifically for this campaign. It’s been sitting around for a better part of 2 decades, so I might as well take Amusing Hobby’s approach and do this paper panzer Jagdpanzer IV 88 Pak. It will also give me free reign on the camo scheme. So…with this being said, this paper panzer will be my official entry for this campaign.

1 Like

I have five I need to finish. This one has been sitting the most. About two years. I have been saving it as maybe a test subject to try mud weathering.

This seems a good place to sacrifice it in.

3 Likes

When I get the airbrush out again, this will be the unfinished build I will complete. Got it to this stage about 3 years ago and put it aside while I waiting on airbrush parts, then I renovated my home for a couple of months - never got around to getting it out again, until now.

2 Likes

I have lot of kits which are waiting for weathering and some small paint touches.
Here are two

3 Likes

It’s BLG-60 time for me…

One of the last pictures I took over a year ago:

It shows the AVLB deploying its scissor bridge.

I entered the BLG-60M2 AVLB in 2019 Once More Unto The Breach! Campaign, but failed to finish it…
Then intended to finish it within 2020 Unfinished Business Campaign and failed again…Well, not this time!

Some info about the vehicle:
The BLG-60(BrueckenLegeGeraet-AVLB) was a combination of an East German scissor bridge and a Czechoslovakian T-55A hull.It was produced in the former GDR and was fielded by many NSWP countries.There was also a Polish version(the BLG-67), that utilized T-55A hulls, produced in Poland.In the early 1980’s my country procured both the BLG-60 and the BLG-67 and they are still in service.
The BLG-60M2 version carries a wider bridge, that can accomodate the width of T-72 MBT tracks and has some other features, that made laying 3 bridges by 3 ALVBs possible.
Thus a water obstacle of up to 50 m width could be spanned.

In this build I used the prehistoric Trumpeter T-55 kit, leftovers from Takom and MiniArt T-55 kits and a lot of scratchbuilding.

Today I spent some time dusting the beast off(a lot of time actually):

Then prepared a to-do list.
It consists of 4 features on the hull and 2 on the bridge, plus the inevitable metal parts priming, general priming and painting.

I started with the external mike jack housing:

The external mike allows the TC to give directions to the AVLB driver, when the driver is laying the bridge on a “blind” spot(from a hull-down position or sloped terrain).
My rendition built and glued to the left front fender:

Next I replaced the bars of the bridge anchors- the old ones were too thin and unrealistic:

The bridge anchors were only used when multiple AVLB layed their bridges.They fixed each pair of bridges and prevented the bridges from sliding in any direction.

I also started a repair atempt on one of the parking lights on the right front fender, that I cut wrongly a year ago.A piece of styrene half rod was sanded and glued on the overcut:

So 3 down, another 3 to go before priming,priming again and painting.
Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Angel

6 Likes

Yeah @ayovtshev I remember being blown away by this when saw it the first time around. Bout time you get around to finishing it. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

Wow! Amazing Angel!

1 Like

@ayovtshev

1 Like

Herewith an update on my BLG-60M2 build status.

I’ve crossed the remaining 3 features from the initial to-do list and then…
Added another dozen of features…
Also registered some broken parts- a structural part failed and a bridge support crossmember broke at one of its soldered brackets.The structural part was repaired and strenghtened, while the crossmember will be dismantled and soldered again.

I decided to separate the vehicle from the bridge and work/prime them one at a time.Thus I hope to avoid facing other broken parts while handling the beast.

Some pictures follow:
Armored vent added on roof plate

Wiring with holding brackets added-
On glacis in front of TC cupola

And around Drivers hatch

Armoured covers, some handles plus a hydraulicaly operated raiser for the Under Water Drive Tube added on roof plate.2 canvas covers for the bridge anchoring ropes sculpted and mounted

Some features were also build for the bridge.
6 locking rods for the steering aides(the tennis racket shaped things, that protruded above bridge deck when unlocked and aided driving the vehicle over the launched bridge) added

14 pins were constructed and mounted on various spots on the bridge inner sides.Inserting them through the tangle of ropes, wires and tubes was quite of a challenge

All metal parts on the vehicle were primed with Mr. Metal Primer.
Next- when the “Beast from the East” eases its grip- the vehicle will get a coat of Mr.Surfacer 1500 primer.

One last picture-
the BLG-60M2 with bridge swung in vertical position

Cheers,
Angel

7 Likes

Amazing work!

1 Like

Thanks Ezra!
Quite a challenge, but a lot of modelling fun too!
:beer:

Angel

1 Like

Scrumptious…

1 Like

OMG. Unbelievable. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Peter and Armorsmith!

I need to add 2 spades(Pionierspaten) on the back side of the bridge support

Picture courtesy of Mr.Andreas Kirchhoff

It took me a while to find out where they were located…

Cheers,
Angel

3 Likes

Once again Angel, you are putting on an amazing show for everybody to tune in for. There are not enough superlatives to cover everything you have scratch built on this “beast” … It is yet another phenomenal piece of artistry… Brilliant.

2 Likes

Angel is in a class by himself. I truly envy his scratch building skills and ability to work with brass, etc. He’s in a class by himself. He makes me feel totally inadequate and a failure as a modeler.

2 Likes

Lol… I think that queue is a very very long one DV. …

4 Likes

Angel, can you provide a link to the full video ?

Sure Sean!

Here it is:

The vehicle represented here is BLG-60M2

There is also an extract from a 1971 NVA movie on YT, that shows the initial version-the BLG-60:

HTH,
Cheers!
Angel

3 Likes

Cool ! Many thanks.

1 Like