Unfinished Business 2021 Group Build

I thought those mark’s were where the crew sat on the hull. Now that you mention it, they do look like fingerprints. Looking forward to the build.
Take care and stay safe friends,
Don “Lakota”

1 Like

Butt cheeks…
I was thinking of using a Formations M4A2 conversion on the lower hull, but after careful contemplation (yeah, right) I decided to actually finish it as the M10, partly because the only other TD in my entire collection of finished models is an M36, a really old conversion using Italeri parts with a resin upper hull, origin forgotten, from at least 20 years ago. All I remember is the conversion was purchased at Bobi’s in Pensacola.
I got to digging around yesterday afternoon and even found the few remaining parts to the Academy kit. I’ll be able to fix the bits that have been lost or broken over the years, maybe even bring a couple of things up to date, then paint. It’s been fun trying to identify the source of some of the components of this model too.

2 Likes

Sounds like a great plan Russel. Looking forward to seeing it sans the ‘Pixie dust’…

1 Like

I finished the building phase of my last project so its time to start on Unfinished Business 2021.

When I moved 8 years ago the bottom of 2 Matildas that I had started got taped shut and put on the shelf of doom. I have never done a tank in the Caunter scheme before so this should be something of a masking exercise.

4 Likes

If I can give you one tip Cam … Spray the base colour and let dry, then mask for the next colour but spray a light coat of the base colour along the tape line where the second colour will go. Any tape bleed from paint will then be the same colour as the base. Do the same for the third colour, where it will go over the other colours. Not a scrap of touch up needed when I did that:

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice and KUDOS for your A9

Made some progress on my M113, I finished the interior for now just adding some bits of stowage. When I add stowage to the exterior I may add some more inside.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Im not sure of the exterior colors yet, I may paint it all OD or something more interesting like this camo…

I want to really heavily weather this kit so I’m not sure it would be worth it to paint this camo the cover it with chipping, mud and stowage. If I paint it all OD I can add a 106mm RR so its tempting to just paint it all one color…

3 Likes

I chose to put on the 106mm Recoiless rifle because I haven’t seen many build with it and I haven’t built a M113 with one. The Academy RR is very nice the only bit to fix is the seam down the barrel.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
The M113 with a current WIP
Imgur

1 Like

great tip there, something i keep meaning to do but always seem to forget

Capture

2 Likes

I’ve finished building and have shot some primer on the M113. Just a little more sanding is needed. I’m planning on trying a new way of painting a single color vehicle; distressing, with the help of uncle night shift! :grin:

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

3 Likes

Best of luck. I like the hairspray technique myself.

2 Likes

I am on for this one. Not sure the kit yet, but quite some things to choose between. :slight_smile:

1 Like

funny howmuch work i get done on night shift as well :rofl:

1 Like

Some progress. Ive managed to get the base colors on the M113 and am ready to start washes after decals. The hairspray distressing didnt work as well as I wanted because the colors were to similar and the contrast wasn’t great enough. Im still happy with it though. I also painted the tracks dark grey in preparation for weathering. There is some overspray that needs to still be cleaned up in the drivers hatch.
Imgur
Imgur

2 Likes

Decals on. I chose decal option 2 in the Academy kit because I think it looks a bit simpler, the other option looks a bit to cluttered. I just noticed the gray spot and wiped it away with a little X-20A. As per normal the Academy decals are very thick and need to be sanded down. This may be my last update for a couple days as Im starting school again on Monday, and I just wont have much modeling time between school and golfing.
Imgur
Imgur

5 Likes

Progressing nicely. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

More progress. Oils washes turned out nice so I went on to chipping. I used a sponge and a brush, I also applied a rust wash on the tracks . I went a bit heavy with the second color chipping but hopefully some rust, dust and grime will tone it down. Next is painting the M2 and M60.
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

3 Likes

Hi Ezra… Sorry to have to point this out, but the M113’s are made of Aluminium… it does not rust… or are those brown chips meant to be a primer?

1 Like

Aghhhh your right, I remember reading that somewhere! Luckily the brown chips were meant to be primer and I hadn’t started the steel chips yet. Thanks for the save Peter! :sweat_smile:
Edit: what were the RR’s made of? would they rust or no?

@Panzer_modeler

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=241920

1 Like