Unfinished Business 2024

Here’s what I hope to finish:
A Humvee on exercise, based on this:

And one in Iraq, based on these:

Progress;

4 Likes

Welcome aboard, Wade!

As I have mentioned in the past, our tastes in models are very similar. My desktop junkyard includes a Cyber Hobby Panther using Stadtgas from 2010 and a Dragon Panther G with Steel Wheels from 2017 or so.

I look forward to seeing more of your superlative work.

You now have me pondering my oldest stalled model. It may be a 1/72 Revell Germany Focke Wulf 190 A-8 from 2002 or so.

1 Like

It seems like poorly fitting landing gear are a common problem in 1/72 scale aircraft. I have only attempted a few such models as an adult and they all had one problem or another in that area. I regularly wonder why model designers do not make a greater effort to provide robust connections and clear instructions for such crucial pieces.

I am sure you will figure it out and produce a great model.

Welcome aboard, Ron!

Those are both great subjects. The one with the motorcycle on the back gives me a lot of ideas. Does anyone make a motorcycle like that in 1/35 scale?

I was considering adding a trailer to my Sturmpanzer IV. A trailer with a couple Zundapp motorcycles would look really interesting.

I use the one from this set:

Comes close enough

2 Likes

Thank you, Ron. Scale Hobbyist and Sprue Brothers both carry that model so I added it to my shopping carts for later purchase. It should be an easy and fun build. I look forward to seeing your completed models for inspiration.

1 Like

nehhh… I would not say easy. It is an intricate little model.

2 Likes

Well, I suppose ‘easy’ is relative. I am looking down the barrel of two sets of individual link Panther tracks, each link consisting of three pieces with 6 attachment points that need cleaning. In comparison, having looked at the instructions, that motorcycle looks like a breeze to build. On the other hand, painting tracks is a whole lot easier than painting a motorcycle. Dunno.

That reminds me–I want to purchase one of the World War I era motorcycles offered by Copper State Models.

2 Likes

I might try finishing a Tamiya 1/35 Kubewagen or a Vulcan 1/35 2-pdr Anti-tank gun. Hopefully both.
DSC00276
DSC00246

7 Likes

I’m in this one. Got an ARII 1/48 SS-1C waiting to be finished.

6 Likes

Welcome aboard!

Tamiya’s Kubelwagen is a really nice little kit. Fit is excellent.

I am not familiar with the Vulcan 2 pounder. With such a long barrel, it must have thrown shells at very high velocity.

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

A scud! That brings back a lot of memories. I look forward to seeing your project.

1 Like

Been sitting on this hand-me-down kit since last year, and finally, I have some time to put the work in it.

A Meng T-90A that is in my shelf of shame is now getting the TLC it deserves.

5 Likes

On the Kubelwagen, I got stuck painting the interior. I realized those were just wood slats on the floor, so I’d have to mask the area to do it right.

The 2-pdr was the standard anti-tank gun and tank gun in the early war. It was a great to punch through early war German tanks. The problem was there was no HE shell to take infantry out. That’s why you would see CS (Combat Support) versions that were armed with a 3-inch gun to fire HE.

2 Likes

The interior and a few other parts of the Kubelwagen definitely require planning. I am learning to build and paint those sorts of vehicles and continue to experiment with techniques, looking for the best solution.

I find the evolution of the anti-tank gun very interesting. In World War I, the Germans responded to tanks in numerous ways including new design anti-tank rifles (Mauser 1918 T-Gewehr) and dedicated 75mm guns hidden in forward emplacements. Between the wars, anti-tank guns became small, firing high density ammunition from a shell with a large powder load. The 2 pounder you are building is obviously the latter type of weapon.

Unfortunately, it appears the Vulcan 2 Pounder model you are building is out of production. I only found one, on eBay.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a shame they went under. I wish I’d bought more of their kits. Beware of the small parts! They also made the British Mk. VI light tanks. Managed to get one of each.

3 Likes

Cyber Hobby Sturmpanzer IV: Some progress.

All 5 bump stops on the starboard side snapped off during the accident. After some test fitting puzzle work, it was possible to reassemble them. Though a bit worse for the wear, some sanding should correct the worst of the cosmetic damage.

Two forward rail support arms, two engine deck brackets, and one antenna mount were fixed.

The front right headlight was lost in the accident. It was replaced with a headlight from the spare parts box.

Some bolt detail on the lower hull was restored using stretched sprue.

One problem remains. The gunner’s periscope was lost during the accident. If a replacement cannot be found in the next day or two, I will attempt to fabricate a new one.

5 Likes

Oh yeah, this is the one the shelf fell on? What a wreck that was! Your repair work looks fantastic. A little paint and it’ll be good to go.

3 Likes

laughs Yeah. This is that one. A few spots look kinda rough, especially the top of the fighting compartment, but with some clever painting and perhaps a strategically placed tarp, it may look okay. Dunno. I may also splatter the suspension with some mud. Have not done that since I was a kid.

3 Likes

Michigan Toy Soldier just today got VMS Smart Mud XL 2.0 back in stock. The stuff is absolutely amazing. Best mud product I’ve ever used. It’s been sold out for months, even at VMS. If you’re going to do mud, try some of this stuff. It’s magic.

3 Likes