UNIFIL FRENCHBATT VBL and VBL RECO 12.7

The Panhard VBL is deployed in south Lebanon by the French Army for UNIFIL peacekeeping missions since 2006. This project includes two different VBLs, a regular VBL and a VBL Reco, both kits are from Tiger Model. These vehicles were on a same patrol mission along with a Leclerc S2 (another project already published here ) and a VAB T20-13 5soon to be published.

Kit and aftermarket products used until now for this project:

Tiger Model 4603 PANHARD VBL
Tiger Model 4619 PANHARD VBL 12.7mm M2 machine gun
Blast Models BL35245K VBL EXTERIOR UPDATE SET
Blast Models BL35244K VBL WIRE CUTTER

Sources and documents which helped me builduing this project are:

Samer Kassis photo archives

My own photo archives of the Panhard VBL (available trough Flickr):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chadrach/collections/72157717612411881/

3 Likes

1 Like

2 Likes

4 Likes

2 Likes

6 Likes

Nice job so far Chadi .

Rich

1 Like

Nice pair of VBLs.
Why did you choose to depict antislip on one vehicle only?

Olivier

Simply because in a set of pictures taken in january 2007 during a patrol mission in Southern Lebanon only one of the 2 VBLs (The VBL RECO) got antislip coating, the other one had a wire cutter mounted.

2 Likes

Very nice!
Do you happen to have any experience with the HB versions?
Thanks

No experience but the HB model is wrong in shape. The instructions have you build some parts in wrong location.

Olivier

Damn-that’s the one that I have

When you start it, feel free to ask about the instructions issues. For the shape there is nothing you can do unfortunately. However I doubt many people will notice this. So have fun with your kit.

Olivier

Thank you I will.
I might even do so this weekend.

Back to my VBL project…

4 Likes

Latest processing on the VBLs

An overall wash was done with 502 Abteilung Faded UN white at first, next steps will include further washes and pastel dusting…

7 Likes

Nice job on the kits

1 Like

Applying more dust and dirt day after day…

4 Likes

There are some really whacko (to my American eye) French vehicles out there. And then there’s the VBL. They are just mean looking little trucks, and if you sealed them up they’d look just fine in a Moonbase.