US Navy Seals in Combat Rubber Raiding Craft from Gecko | Armorama™

Hi TriSaw,

See additional images, there may be clues here…

3 Likes

Odd how the inflatable is broken down into so many parts, and no weapons sprue.

@Newtonk I found the photos I’m looking for. These photos should describe the discrepancies.

The box art shows a kneeling SEAL M60E3 gunner like this…

The kit gives a SEAL gunner like this…and that is the 1990s SEAL book that contains the photos of the SEALs in the Gecko RHIB: M-14 sniper, SEAL with a M-16A1 (unique because the CAR-15 or M-16A2 was standard), SEAL with M-16A2/M203, and the kneeling M60E3 gunners.

As you can see, no shirt can contain his bulging biceps. I don’t think that he has a belt of ammo draped across his chest in the kit though. However, one can easily add a belt of 7.62mm ammo from other kits such as AFV-Club and Dragon’s “Modern Machine Gun Kits.”

Gecko Models corrected their M60 kneeling gunner mistake because there is no sandy beach strip on the wave base, meaning that the M60 gunner will be kneeling in the ocean (and sinking)! So the M60 gunner kneels in the RHIB. How does he look like is anyone’s guess now.

Robert Genat’s book is a very good reference for SEALs in the 1990s and contains some of the best SEAL DPV photos (interior and exterior) published even to today’s standards.

Yes, there is no photos of the Weapons Sprue. The book’s SEAL Photo Op demonstration photos show one M-16A1, one M-14, two CAR-15s, one M-16A2/M203, and one M-60E3 gunner = six RHIB SEALs. Dragon makes practically all of these 1/35 guns so that they can be substituted, or buy 3-D printed weapons.

3 Likes

:laughing:
He’s very tactical… no shirt, face paint on his arms, and a belt of blanks for the 60…
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

Thanks for that, TriSaw.

SEAL or stand-in stunt double?

1 Like

Based on the sprue pics, you have the option of either covered (blue circle) or bare arms (red circles) for the M60 gunner. It looks like the bare arms offer a couple different poses as well since there are 3 of them.

I’m sure Gecko will include the appropriate weapons and probably a few different options for each. Gecko’s other figure sets have excellent weapons and a good variety of them.

1 Like

Good catch on the bare and clothed arm options, Gino! :grinning:

Yes, the Gecko 1/35 “Modern British Arms Set” has excellent 1/35 weapons.

A question would be…can these RHIB SEALs be posed in an urban setting jumping, kneeling, straddling, and crawling around without the RHIB and wave base? Get rid of the swim flippers and this might be possible to showcase SEALs that have already landed.

I am a bit concerned about the M60E3’s ammo pouches in that they appear too small. Dragon’s SAW ammo pouches might be a good substitute.

I started a build review of this set over at Track-Link. Check it out and see how it goes together.

2 Likes

Golly. I’ll bet he doesn’t have time to bleed.

2 Likes

@Mousemuffins I think that huge SEAL retired by now as that book dates back to the 1990s.

I think he was also in some SEAL documentary videos many years ago, but I never saw him photographed or filmed again…or at least a SEAL of that size.