US Royal tires

This came up in another forum. Some of the aftermarket tires for military vehicles are labeled “US Royal” on the sidewalls. Someone was asking if that was a real brand or if the AM companies used the name instead of “Uniroyal” to avoid licensing issues.

It was a real brand. U.S. Royal was one of the brand of tires by U.S. Rubber company. They later became Uniroyal.

“U.S. Rubber produced tires under the Gillette, Ward, Atlas, U.S. Rubber and U.S. Royal brands…In 1961, the company became Uniroyal, Inc.”

They were one of the tires used on military vehicles up through the late '60s - early '70s.

3 Likes

Uniroyal, right here in my town of Naugatuck, Connecticut. Was THE employer for 100 years. Vulcanized rubber was invented here, along with Keds and Naugahide.

6 Likes

Very interesting! There used to be Uniroyal and Firestone tire plants near where some family members lived when I was a little boy, so the names are forever in my head. I never knew of the older names from pre Uniroyal. There is still a Firestone Boulevard in L.A. County, even though the facility is long gone. The neighborhood is called Firestone Park, and the old Sheriff’s station there was called Firestone station.

2 Likes

Another fun U.S. Rubber fact.

“During World War II, U.S. Rubber factories were devoted to production of war goods, and produced military truck and airplane tires, as well as the canvas-top, rubber-soled Jungle boot for Soldiers and Marines serving in tropical and jungle environments.”

WWII Jungle Boot

4 Likes

I always thought Naugahide was harvested from herds of naugas… :grin:

6 Likes

They were likely involved in the production of the late war cold wet weather M1944 Shoepacs

Rubber lowers and leather uppers… forerunner of all rubber post Korean War Mickey Mouse boots.

3 Likes

Actually Keds sneakers and Naugahide were both WWII inventions by U.S. Rubber. The hob-nail boots of German POW’s were tearing apart the wooden floors of POW barracks, so the US Government put out a contract for rubber soled canvas shoes for less than $1 a pair. U.S. Rubber won the contract with what are now known as Keds.
Defense Contractors needed a waterproof, rot proof, tear resistant replacement for cotton duck canvas seats and tarps, which were rotting quickly in the PTO. U.S. Rubber developed their synthetic replacement and named the product Naugahide, in honor of their town, Naugatuck, CT.
Sorry for this rubber related thread hijack.

9 Likes

Interesting trivia though. Google search turned this up:

6 Likes

Interesting… We still had cotton duck canvas seats on HMMWVs well into the 90’s, and cotton canvas tarps on Deuce and half’s & Five Tons as well…

2 Likes

There’s a Firestone Park if I remember correctly in Akron, OH. My grandfather spent his adult life in the rubber industry, finishing at Goodyear if I remember correctly. I remember when I was little visiting them and his hands looked so weathered, they used a lot of lye in his area for cleaning tires. I also remember he had an ashtray that was glass that sat in a rubber tire and I always thought it was neat. When I went home for my dads funeral we were going thru his office, my brother and I were taking a few personal momento’s and my dad had it so it came home from me along w a book my grandpa had on the tire industry from that area. From what I was told he tried to enlist in WW2 like his brothers (my great Uncle Charlie was a ball turret gunner in the 8th AF and my great Uncle Marshall was in the army in the Pacific) but he was classified as essential and they wouldn’t take him.

4 Likes

The M-1942 US Army/USMC Jungle Boot.

Then you had these, the M-1945 “Okinawa” Tropical Boot.

4 Likes

And Sperry Boat Shoes, I read they were issued to sub crewmen in WWII. Made in Naugatuck, and Mr Sperry lived in Middlebury as I recall. (I know, way off topic, but little histiory bits never hurt).

5 Likes

I didn’t know that, thanks! Middlebury is the next town over.

1 Like

US Royal Tires Ferris Wheel at 1964 World’s Fair.

Sold as a souvenir toy too.

5 Likes

That’s actually very interesting. I was just wondering the other day which animal a Nauga is.

3 Likes

It’s this one…per 1967 marketing materials.

6 Likes

I actually rode that as a kid… there are parts of the world’s fair that no matter how old I get I’ll remember… like getting stuck for 45 minutes on the it’s a Small World ride… that gave me PTSD :joy:

5 Likes