Using MIG "Scenery Ground Mats" as a quick photo background

Re: Using MIG “Scenery Ground Mats” as a quick railroad photo background

Product From: Ammo by MIG Jimenez
Catalog # MIG-8486

These new bases (flexible base mats actually) offered by MIG almost seem like cheating, they are so completely finished and beautiful.

• The mats are 9 1/2 inches square.
  • They come mounted to a flexible sub-strate.
  • They come in a 10" x 10" blister pack that is reusable should you want to only use the base occasionally (keeps the dust off) or for transporting them for use at a competition.

These flexible mats are extremely realistic and 3 dimensional, with pre-attached grass, rocks and low brush. With some added unpinnings these mats can be made to simulate gently rolling ground work for an even greater 3D affect.
They appear to come in several shades/colors from green forest to dry desert. Unfortunately this one color style; “Desert Plains” was the only one left in stock at Scale Reproductions when I arrived.

Several mats can be blended together for a larger display base.

4 Likes

These mats are somewhat flexible to model a gently rolling scene.

16b3a821b8d0df4cff2726e758876e058807e314_2_517x340

And versatile.

012c3cb8f92ba9a47af752739c42d039785ff98b_2_459x375

3 Likes

Hi Mike,

Thank you for showing us these. They really do look good. I have not noticed that Mig is making them. Model Scenes made a selection, several of which were reviewed on Kitmaker years ago. Here’s one: https://archive.kitmaker.net/review/12154/index.htm

I’ve got to admit that for dioramas these things are hard to beat. 9 and 1/2 square can get small quick in 1/35, but they still have a lot of potential. Right now I don’t remember who but there’s some scenery companies that make them a little bit bigger.

Nah, no more than using resin and photo etch parts instead of laboriously fashioning things out of styrene and wire.

1 Like

It appears that “Model Scenes” is still the manufacture but MIG is now also distributing their products.

2ed41b241094613e5fabc1cf624ffed36a1ac5ae_2_345x214

As you may notice; I am playing around with various experimental ways to give the Bachmann HO track a different and perhaps more realistic look. (I leave that judgement up to the group members.)

I just cant stand that non-stop gray, very plastic looking and very uniform roadway that the stock track provides. Great for Class One Railways but not so for my narrow gauge and logging roads. Roads that often end up using cinders for ballast. (Just a personal preference.)

More recent examples:

4 Likes

For now the one “Desert Plains” ground mat was all the hobbyshop had in stock but I since have placed an order for several more.

That looks realistic. Interesting product that can be reused as needed. How did you achieve the sun in the sky in the photo with the tractor?

1 Like

Some computer/electronic “air brush” work there.

1 Like

ah, nice. Very well done

1 Like

Hi Mike, thanks for posting these. Your armor looks great on the matts. Model Scene makes some great scenery items.

1 Like

Something I recently discovered regarding these Ground Mats:

I was very disappointed to find that upon reordering (and using the exact same part numbers) the size of the mats has been reduced by half. Instead of a 9.5 inch square mat you now get a 9 x 5 inch mat. And while the price HAS been reduced somewhat on athe smaller individual mats, if you should still need the square mat you will need to buy two of the smaller mats and join them together. (and of course the total monies spent on the two has now increased significantly - 11% more!)

This is still a great product but I certainly come away feeling cheated here.

GroundMatx1a
GroundMatx2

If purchasing these mats then do most certainly shop around as I have found prices from distributors to be all over the map, perhaps because they still have older (cheaper/larger) items in stock.

Mike, did you order direct from Mig or elsewhere?

Mig’s website lists both sizes of grass mats for sale. The 9x5 are ~$19 and the 10x 10’s are ~$27.

Link to the 10 x10’s

Mig Jimenez: scenic-mats-for-dioramas

Thanks for the link. I am now communicating direct with AMMO.

I have also asked them to list the dimensional sizes of their various ground mats on their site. (They currently do not.) Also suggested they might offer even larger mats.

1 Like

Other companies offering similar diorama ground mat products:

• Model Scene (Australia)

• Coastal Kits (UK)

• Green Stuff World (Spain)

Please keep us posted because a larger mat would be very useful in many cases.

I agree. But it was just a suggestion to them. I have not yet gotten any sort of reply,

Reply from AMMO:

Quote:
Hello again,

Thank you very much for your comment regarding the increase in the size of the mats, we will take it into account, but it is complicated because the production processes are automated and it is complex to modify them.

Thank you very much,

Sheila Sancho
End Quote:

My Reply Comment:

I do realize your machine may have a maximum width it can produce but the same machine should be able to make the mats in almost infinite lengths. Therefore I would think a 9.5 inch by 16 inch mat should be easily possible. (However packaging such an item might prove difficult.)