USMC LVTP7/AAVP7 AMTRAC Reference

The LVTP-7 “Amtrac” entered service in 1972 as a replacement for the aging LVTP-5, that had been in service with the Marines since 1956.

LVTP-7

In 1982, the US Marine Corps contracted the FMC Corporation to conduct the LVTP-7 Service Life Extension Program (SLEP), which converted the LVT-7 vehicles to the improved AAV-7A1 vehicle by adding an improved engine, transmission, and weapons system and improving the overall maintainability of the vehicle.

The AAVP-7A1 has been the mainstay amphibious personnel carrier for the US Marine Corps, as well as the militaries of 11 nations, including South Korea, Brazil, Spain, Argentina, the Philippines and Indonesia, amongst others.

AAVP-7A1 during Operation Desert Storm (1991).

AAVP-7A1 with UpGunned Weapons Station (UGWS) without EEAK armor.

There are several variants of the Amtrac:

AAVP-7A1 (personnel Carrier)
AAVR-7A1 (Recovery Variant)
AAVC-7A1 (Command Vehicle)

AAVR-7A1

AAVC-7A1

The Assault Amphibious Vehicle Reliability, Availability, Maintainability/Rebuild to Standard (AAV RAM/RS) Program was approved in 1997. It encompassed all AAV systems and components to return the AAV to the original vehicle’s performance specifications and ensure acceptable readiness until the EFV should become operational. The program replaced both the AAV engine and suspension with US Army’s M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle (BFV) components modified for the AAV. Ground clearance returned to 16 inches (40.6 cm) and the horsepower to ton ratio increased from 13 to 1 to its original 17 to 1. The introduction of the BFV components and the rebuild to standard effort was expected to reduce maintenance costs for the expected remaining life of the AAV through the year 2013.

AAVP-7A1 UGWS RAMS/RS with EEAK armor.

4 Likes

The interior of the personnel carrier variant had straight fold-up benches.

The AAVC-7A1 Command Amtrac has seating and communication racks.

The AAVR-7A1’s interior is fitted with tool racks and parts storage for repair of other Amtraks.

1 Like

AAVP-7A1 in action.

Here are some identifying features.

The original LVTP-7 had round headlight openings. It also had the same T157, triangle block track that was later used on the M2 Bradley.

It had the smaller TCs turret with only a .50 cal MG, the same M85 MG as in the M60 tank cupola.

The LVTP7A1 upgrade was mostly internal. The external difference was the addition of the redesigned, square light openings. It still had the smaller turret but had 2 4-shot smoke grenade launchers added to it on either side.

During the late '80s / early '90s, the LVTP7s were going through a weapons upgrade to the AAV7A1 standard. The swim vane and larger UpGunned Weapons Station (UGWS) were added. The UGWS contains a .50 cal MG and a Mk19 grenade launcher.

Additionally, the LVTC7/AAVC7 Command vehicle does not have a weapons station, but another hatch with an M60 MG where the turret usually is.

Later AAVC7-A1s had a M240 mounted for the TC.

To be continued…

2 Likes

These are from the US invasion of Grenada, Operation Urgent Fury, 1983.

1 Like

Here’s a link to Toadman’s picture gallery for the AAVP-7A1 RAM.

TOADMAN’S TANK PICTURES AAV7A1 RAM (toadmanstankpictures.com)

1 Like

The RAMS/RS upgrade was to the engine, mechanicals, and running gear. The power plant and running gear from the US Army’s Bradley was modified to fit into/onto AAV7s. The easiest way to tell one that has been upgraded is the smaller Bradley roadwheels and return rollers, and the track no longer sits on top of the road wheels.

Most also got the newer square block, T157i tracks of newer Bradleys.

The Enhanced Applique Armor Kit (EAAK) can be added to any Amtrac. The armor mounting blocks are welded to the hull, and then the EAAK panels are bolted into place.

Non-RAMS/RS AAVP7A1 with just the mounting blocks.

AAVP7A1 RAMS/RS with just the mounting blocks.

2 Likes

The only vehicles that did not get the EAAK kits were the Recovery vehicles.

Here’s a very nice video of Marines from the 3rd AABn, conducting Amphibious Assault Operations aboard the USS Pearl Harbor. You can see all three variants present; don’t mind the female sailor cursing in the background. :rofl:

1 Like

During OIF, some EAAK-fitted Amtracs had some of the lower hull armor replaced with plates originally used for the upper hull :

H.P.

1 Like

More views of the Recovery version interior. On a side note, this is a USMC one (not an Italian one as posted already)

H.P.

2 Likes

AAVC-7 version

H.P.

2 Likes

A history of the available 1/35 LVPT7/AAVP7 models kits.

Tamiya started with the LVTP7A1 kit in 1988. It is an early A1 with the smaller, M85 .50 cal turret. It is of pretty good quality, but as with most Tamiya kits of the era, it is soft on details and has simplified parts to make assembly easy. It did not include an interior.

Academy offered an LVTP7 in 1990 by backdating the Tamiya kit and adding the front plate with the round headlight cutout and deleting the smoke launchers on the turret. It came with USMC and ROK (S. Korean) Marine decals. It did not include an interior.

Tamiya next offered a late LVTP7A1 w/UGWS in 1992 following Operation Desert Storm with USMC markings from the conflict. It added the UGWS and front swim plane, but still no interior.

Wasan and Mini Hobby both offered poor copies of the Tamiya kits through the late '90s and early 2000s. They were really not worth building though as the hulls were modified to make them motorized. This left a large bulge underneath at the rear and the rear roof had a weird rearward down slope. One good thing that did come out of them was an EAAK version, but again, it too was misshapen and the EAAK also was off. With some work, you could add the EAAK to a Tamiya kit to make a half-decent model, but it took work. None of the above kits included an interior.

Hobby Fan offered a few very nice resin update sets for the Tamiya/Academy kits. One was a full interior.

Another was an EAAK set.

A third was a set of the mounting bosses for the EAAK.

Lastly was a conversion for the LVTR7-A1 Recovery Vehicle.

Kirin also did an EAAK conversion set.

Blast Models also made a RAMS/RS running gear set.

Hobby Boss made all the above obsolete in 2007 when they came out with the first in a whole new line of LVTP7/AAVP7 kits. The initial kit was of the original LVTP7. It included a full interior, PE, indi-link T157 tracks and lots of great details. It was a game changer and most welcomed.

Over the next few years, they followed up with 7 more kits of just about every possible LVTP7/AAVP7 version, all with full interiors and the appropriate running gear and tracks. The only one they do not offer is the LVTC7/AAVC7 Command versions.

AFV Club, in 2013, started reboxing the Hobby Boss kits with a few updates in resin and with Republic of China (ROC, Taiwan) decals added, only theirs deleted the interiors. They started with the AAV7-A1 RAMS/RS w/or w/o EAAK.

Next they offered a ROC AAVC7-A1 Command Vehicle w/or w/o EAAK and with resin conversion parts.

Their latest is a ROC AAVP7-A1 RAMS/RS w/or w/o EAAK, with the full interior, and a few resin pieces (flotation rings and ropes) from their earlier AAVC7-A1 kit.

With the above kits, you can build any version of LVTP7/AAVP7 that has been fielded.

3 Likes

For reference books, Hard Corps Models did an excellent book on the AAVP 7, if you can find it. I sold mine as I was no longer using it. Good luck

2 Likes

Ditto :wink:

Too bad it’s long OOP…

Another useful book from the same author (OOP as well) is USMC in OIF (Photo Album Series #2)

H.P.

H.P.

2 Likes

Here is my take on a Tamiya LVTP7A1 with a full scratch interior that I built many, many moons ago. Lots of Bradley and M113 parts in there as well as lots of sheet styrene.

b7397b4a
f018d4c1-3efd-49ea-bd6f-10779abc3d61

a2672aad

fcd1dd77-add3-4b32-8e2e-83ef330c8546
LVTP-7A1turret001

5 Likes

Here is the last AAV7 “Survivability Upgrade” (AAV7 SU) variant. The program was canceled in favor of shifting funds to the BAE Amphibious Combat Vehicle (ACV).

AAV7 SU has a new diesel engine, new waterjets, new mine-blast seats, improved suspension, and new ceramic armor resistant to RPGs and has an interior spall liner. The AAV7 SU is refurbished and fixes a lot of the problems of the aging AAV7s. It was expected to serve until 2035.

https://www.militarytoday.com/apc/aav7_su.htm

aav7_su

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

I see what you mean :wink:

H.P.

2 Likes

A Mk154 MCLIC Launcher, fitted to an LVTP-7.

Same kit, fitted on an AAVP-7A1.

2 Likes

You could also do one pulling pack. You could modify the Meng Bradley engine and trans parts to fit the AAVP7.

I wish I could find some pics of how the engine compartment (empty and w/engine) looks. I might actually try this if I could.

3 Likes

The trick will be to replicate the intake box.

For the sake of ease, an AAVR7A1 pulling the UGWS turret would be easier to replicate.

3 Likes