Verlinden 120mm 82nd Airborne

I think the sculptor was Julian Hullis… he made some really nice figures for Verlinden.

Mario

1 Like

Now, if anyone is interested, here’s a company which has a lot of old Verlinden stock .

123 pages of it! Guess who’s credit card has been busy lately?
A lot better than silly eBay prices.
G.

1 Like

Thanks for the link, because of the brexit is ordering in the UK become for many European expensive and sometimes a little bit like Russian Roulette. So alternative shops are welcome.

1 Like

Hi Jan,
This company is based in Italy so, no problems with the Eurozone. I’ve done a few orders now and no problems with them. Usually takes between 5-7 days delivery to the UK.
I think they used to be a Verlinden distributor at one time, hence the high stock levels.
G.

1 Like

Mario, if I’m not mistaken (I usually am!), didn’t Julian Hullis sculpt for Poste Militaire way back in the day?
G.

Yes, I think he did. I remember some of his sculpts… Indians, Mongols, Samurais, I also remember the Jaguar Warrior. That man had real talent in his hands.

Mario

1 Like

I thought so. Him and Ray Lamb IIRC. I believe the moulds were sold off a while back. Not sure if anything came of it though. Would love to see them back on the market.
G.

Evening fellas, little bit of an update…
Finished off the seams on the BDU’s and did some work on the boots to make them resemble jungle boots.

Do you think, maybe I’m getting a bit obsessive with the seams?:grin:

I think, at this scale, you can’t have too much detail. Literally, everything is visible. Cracked on with the M60 as well. The PE carrying handle was, not to put too fine a point on it, crap! Too flat an flimsy. Scratched a new one from styrene rod.

Looking better now. Got most of the assembly done. Very fiddly to get everything lined up properly. I ended up taking about a millimetre off the left wrist to get the hand to fit to the gun. Just a bit of putty work to do, then it’s about ready for primer. Then, the real fun begins…….:grimacing:Painting! Oven cleaner at the ready :grin:

G.

2 Likes

You did a great job on those seams and you are right, at this scale everything is visible.
As far as the carrying handle on the M60 goes, it’s actually not very beefy. I don’t know if there were other versions of it. I was a 60 gunner for almost 4 years and it didn’t change while I had it. The the bent section was, if I recall, flat and doesn’t sit very high off the weapon when extended. It does fold over to the side when not in use. The handle portion you made looks spot on.
You’re doing an excellent job keep it up!

1 Like

Nice one Rich, just the sort of info I need! Going to rework that carrying handle. Thinking maybe thin wire flattened out? Thanks mate.
G.

Here are a couple of pics of the handle. Looks like a combination of your scratch built one and the PE part. The other pic shows it’s position extended.

3 Likes

Looking really good- some very fine work on the M60.

Incidentally I assume your comment about ‘oven cleaner’ is about possibly having to strip paint off the fig and start again then I can recommend something easier to use for this job- Mr. Hobby thinner- it works a treat for this.

1 Like

Hi Gents, just a little update for now. Finally got the M60 just about done. Followed your advice on the carrying handle, Rich. Made a smaller one and flattened it out. Not sure if you can see it properly on the pic but, it should look better in primer.

Had to make a new rear sight as well. The PE item pinged off into the ether as I was putting the gun together. The new sight is actually version #2. Guess what happened to the first one……
Karl, absolutely right on the oven cleaner! My problem is that I’m not the best painter so, I usually make a b******s of it somewhere along the line. Oven cleaner is my saviour :grin: Thanks for the tip on the thinner though. Might try this.
G.

3 Likes

Been a bit of a busy week so, haven’t had as much bench time as I’d hoped for. Managed to get this fella kick-started though.

Woodland is getting there, got to work out the next colours yet.

Quite pleased with this though. First time with African-American skin tones. I think it’s looking ok.
G.

3 Likes

Looks excellent Lazarus! The face is looking great too. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks Rich, much appreciated! Not sure when the next update will be, back to work again…….:weary:
G.

I hear ya, I need to get more bench time myself

1 Like

Very nice paintwork I must say. The green is spot on and the lights and shadows are placed exactly where they need to be- helps draw the eye to the nice sculpting too. Face is looking good as well.

1 Like

Thanks for your comments, Karl. I think I’m finally getting to grips with painting after all these years :grin:
I think the brown on the BDU’s might need toning down a little though. Thoughts?
G.

Late to the party, I have bookmarked this site for skin tones

HTH

With the hands being even more difficult imo, your figure has gloves so that is a bonus.

1 Like