VW Beetle..circa 1982 Berlin Brigade

Ooooh sharp John , that’s really sharp! Very skillful masking and excellent painting skills! This is going to look beautiful when done. What a cool idea. AFAIK you’re the first to ever do this vehicle. Outstanding job so far.
And I’ve got your next project for you! In the 70’s here in the States we had a TV show called “The Partridge Family” and they were a family band that toured the country in a converted school bus -

This is naturally your next step and now that you’ve seen it I know you want to do it!

5 Likes

Thanks Matt … I was very happy when I unwrapped the mask and saw the results … We had the Partridge Family over hear and remember watching it … but I think I will give the bus a miss lol …

I think once the brown is on, then it will jump out as Berlin Brigade in all its glory.

4 Likes

I do the same thing and that’s how I did it back then. But I already made two paint suggestions and didn’t want to look like an Alletwisser by suggesting a third. :innocent:

2 Likes

Seriously Rob… That ship sailed a loooooong time ago :rofl::joy::rofl::joy::innocent:,
Really though, you should of just said it mate, this is a learning curve for me and all suggestions or lessons learnt are always taken onboard and used when I can… As per the clear coat tip :+1::+1:

1 Like

Bloody hell John - this is absurd; absurd but great. The Brigadier would be proud!

1 Like

Hi!
Well done, John! What a pity that there is no chieftain available in 1/24, however, FV432´s are. And in the back…is a FV432, the only Command 432 based in the headquarter of the british Berlin infantry brigade. It is really nice to see how that final brown changes the overall view. As I am doing vehicles in that colour myself, I know that the third colour changes the optic very much!

Well, the Patridge family…also here in Germany I remember to have seen that series with that famous bus when I was a child. Did that bus actually have that sign “nervous mother driving”? I can´t remember because I did not speak English at that time. Later on, we had the “Kelly Family”, a real singing German family on tour over here. No, no ambition here to do that Patridge scheme either.

Looking forward to seing the last colour!

Andreas

1 Like

Tamiya did have that 1/25 scale Chieftain. I had one once intending to do the Berlin scheme as well. Unfortunately it was a Mk II (?) and I didn’t think I had the skills to convert it. I probably did, but it’s moot now. I sold it for six times what I paid for it, and it’s even more insanely priced today.

And what prepubescent boy didn’t have a thing for Susan Dey back then?

2 Likes

Susan Dey…heh heh…

1 Like

Pre-pubescent? I was still lusting after her in LA Law!

2 Likes

Bad bad man…and your just as guilty Brian @BootsDMS … Although… She does have a certain … Appeal :innocent::grin:

1 Like

More like a blessing Andreas… I think that would shred my nerves…

1 Like

Not much happening after work today…
Just did a few decals and some touch in paint on the cabin and dash areas.

And the wheels …

The kit decals are pretty nice to be fair, and the dash gets a nice but of definition.

I will more than likely start masking the brown areas tomorrow after work now.

6 Likes

Yes, it did.
Ken

1 Like

You need to check out the movies “First Love” (1977), “Looker” (1981) and “Echo Park” (1981)…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Cheers,

M

I daren’t!

Hi!
The 1/25 Tamiya Chieftain is far away fron any production mark. It is a prototype version with the nose plate covered with a box not to unveal detail and a totally different engine deck etc. Myself I also do have a built one to sell off, however I did not make any attempt to do so until now. I am not sure whether there would be any interest in it…

Andreas

Funnily enough Andreas, I too have one - unbuilt; I bought it to use as an example so I could tackle this one in 1:35 and bring it up to spec as per the 1:25 version. However, I still need to build the 1:25 model - and to be honest I just haven’t the inclination despite my intent on modelling a prototype - or at least somethign that resembles a prototype:

Ch Proto (8)

@AKirchhoff and @BootsDMS if you have the Tamiya 1/25 scale kit and have no intention of building it, you could sell it on evil bay. They are currently listing in the $400 to $500 range!
Ken

Wow! That would help my retirement fund that’s for sure.

I only got $300 for mine. But it only took about two years to go from $50 to $300.
Now that I think about it, at one point I think I actually considered making a Challenger I from it. I seem to recall the tracks and wheels were sufficiently similar.
I actually did build a Merkava I from the Tamiya 1/25 Centurion. That’s probably what brought me back to my senses. I know I have a few photos somewhere I can post.
And to think I wasn’t sure if I had enough mojo to upgrade the Chieftain prototype. It would have been far easier in retrospect.